Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
Swirls in new clear bra

Had my first clear bra installed last week. At a quick look over when I picked it up it looked good.
The more I look at it now the more it makes me sick. It is covered with swirls caused by a professional install. It has been my goal to have no swirls on this car and being only 3 weeks old the paint is perfect except for the bra.

Is this normal? Don't think so.
I am taking it back in on Tue. to see what he says.
Will he say this is normal?
Am I justified in making a issue out of it?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Oldtimer426
U.S. Army Retired 20 year

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe M6
Send a message via ICQ to Oldtimer426
I had the same thing done on my car clear bra etc. But even after driving it for a week it is not holding up to all the bugs and small rocks looks like sh**, it is coming off. does not have a good warrenty.

Custom Grill GM, Custom Exhaust GM, Foose wheels legend 20", Blue footwell LED bothsides, and truck LEDs, window tints 20% rear 18% sides, custom pinstriping red color sides and rear skip shift eliminator, mailbox and side grill stainless steal inserts.
20 Years Military Service Army.
Oldtimer426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
There should not be any swirls in the film from he install. What type of film did you get? All films are different... and some are better than others. If it was caused from the install he should replace it.

Oldtimer, now as far as bugs on the clear bra, if you are using a good sealant bugs will not bother he bra one bit at all. If you installed an uncoated film and arent using a sealant... well you need to get a sealant quick. Either way you do have a warranty on the product so if it is staining or yellowing it will be repalced. If it is peeling its a sign of a very poor install and they need to replace it. There are a lot of crappy installers out there these days. If you get a good film and a good installer you will not have these issues.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
wayner

I used 3M scotchgard
Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

There should not be any swirls in it. I beleive isopropyl alchohol works well on 3M for removing swirls. But talk to your installer and have them check it out. I do not install 3M... only VentureShield, Avery Nano, and Xpel. All films are different and react differently so I always recommend talking to your installer as to not do anything that would void the warranty. Sounds to me like he scuffed the film during the install which should not happen.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
my clear bra has been on since 12/09. Looks great, no swirls, bug marks, or anything in it. It's doing it's job very well. (venturashield)
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
wayner

Well my installer said the swirls are normal.
He compared it to clear coat paint. you will get swirls in it.

I called the rep from 3M and he said it takes 30 to 60 days and the swirls will disappear. I can wait that long to see. But I ain't letting it go.
For 3 years I have been studying Junkman and practicing how to avoid swirls. I finally get how to do it ,and now this.

When I when to pickup the car from the installed ,the keys were laying on the hood.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
kevin1106

Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I used 3M scotchgard
That's what I am using. I've had it for a year now. There was no swirls in mine when I first had it installed. I can see now after a year, that I'm going to have to get my rockers re-done. That part of any car takes a beating. Overall I am happy with how it has held up.

As for the swirls, definitely go back. I wouldn't accept that. You could also try waxing and buffing. The clear bra does have a clear coat on it. Good luck.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

3M said it takes 30-60 days for the swirls to go away???? That makes no sense. So I guess you would always have swirls since their film gets them that easily and you would accumulate more while waiting for the original swirls to go away. LOL, your installer is an amature. Sorry you had to deal with that.... but there are many reasons why I do not recommend 3M film... I will add this to it.