Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Devil-eyes

Drives: undecided
Camaro SS vs 09 GT500

my cousin says once i get my SS there aint no way i can get his Shelby in a straight unless i Supercharge/Turbocharge it

what do you guys think? is there anyway the SS with all the boltons hang with a bone stock GT500 in a straight? i know itl destroy it in handling.

Shelby:

Devil-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
maybe with all boltons and a bunch of weight removed.

or you could flatten his tires.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Add all your standard boltons, but what is probaly slowing down the Camaro SS the most is it's 3.45 gears, remeber the Camaro SS has 28.7" tall tires. Switch to 3.73's ASAP.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Devil-eyes

i still like the fact that the Camaro is NA and has the potential to hang with a Supercharged 500HP mustang.

and yes the tires are a must
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
You might be able to pull through with drag radials that fit. It would probably be very close.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
truth411

Yeah If you guys race on a race track, assuming both of you are about equal in driver skill, then the Camaro SS should murder the GT-500 on the track. The GT-500 brakes will fade and it does not like corners too well with 58% of its weight on it's front wheels.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE BRM
Your gonna have a hard time hangin with a gt500. Maybe he'll miss a shift.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Yeah If you guys race on a race track, assuming both of you are about equal in driver skill, then the Camaro SS should murder the GT-500 on the track. The GT-500 brakes will fade and it does not like corners too well with 58% of its weight on it's front wheels.
yeah, but if you are going 1/4 mile, ~500hp > ~400hp on roughly the same weight, the brakes dont matter if the GT500 crosses the line first.

you can slow down when ur dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Devil-eyes

i belive i can get him with drag radials if hes on regular tires.

1/4 mile difference between is 1/2 sec. isnt it?

i think the shelby's is 12.8 while the SS is 13.3
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
yeah, but if you are going 1/4 mile, ~500hp > ~400hp on roughly the same weight, the brakes dont matter if the GT500 crosses the line first.

I suppose the SS and the SRT8 has to

to the mighty GT500

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

well according to clarkson... the only 'real' races have left and right turns!

if that's the case, the SS should win... not only on brakes, but the IRS will rape that old straight axle on twisties

but... if it's a drag... you'd better get some good tires and hit some good shifts!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Drives: The Imperial Army
YOu can beat him all day if you are a better driver than he is and get to know your car
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Considering there is absolutely no concrete performance data on the Camaro to date, then you are simply guessing. Just so you know, I would not take the 12.8 magazine quarter mile time as what a stock GT500 will run. My 2007, with only 500 on the clock and in it's as delivered configuration including the stock F1 Goodyear's, ran 12.51 @ 113.81 (2.042 60ft) at Beech Bend Raceway in June 2008 (90 degree day).

You'll have to forgive the vast majority of folks on this board for their takes on what the GT500 can and cannot do well. Very few have ever sat behind the wheel of one, let alone actually make a dragstrip pass in one or make a lap or two on a road course. The only numbers they can spit out are what they have heard second or third-hand or read in some magazine along the way.

The only way to find out the outcome of the duel you proposed is to take actually make the race happen when you get your car. Anything else is just an opinion, and given this is a Gen5 Camaro board, most of those opinions are going to favor the Camaro SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil-eyes View Post
i belive i can get him with drag radials if hes on regular tires.

1/4 mile difference between is 1/2 sec. isnt it?

i think the shelby's is 12.8 while the SS is 13.3
.5 in a quarter mile is about 5 car lengths difference. That's an eternity in drag racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Add all your standard boltons, but what is probaly slowing down the Camaro SS the most is it's 3.45 gears, remeber the Camaro SS has 28.7" tall tires. Switch to 3.73's ASAP.
Ummm....GT500's come standard with 3.31 gears, so they're at the same disadvantage or worse.

Last edited by garagelogic; 03-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
Devil-eyes

ive driven his shelby. its crazy fast. im planning on going forced induction on the camaro anyway in a couple yrs. so no way itl catch me then. but like you hes planning on droppin a Kenne Bell in there
Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Considering there is absolutely no concrete performance data on the Camaro to date, then you are simply guessing. Just so you know, I would not take the 12.8 magazine quarter mile time as what a stock GT500 will run. My 2007, with only 500 on the clock and in it's as delivered configuration including the stock F1 Goodyear's, ran 12.51 @ 113.81 (2.042 60ft) at Beech Bend Raceway in June 2008 (90 degree day).

You'll have to forgive the vast majority of folks on this board for their takes on what the GT500 can and cannot do well. Very few have ever sat behind the wheel of one, let alone actually make a dragstrip pass in one or make a lap or two on a road course. The only numbers they can spit out are what they have heard second or third-hand or read in some magazine along the way.

The only way to find out the outcome of the duel you proposed is to take actually make the race happen when you get your car. Anything else is just an opinion, and given this is a Gen5 Camaro board, most of those opinions are going to favor the Camaro SS.

.5 in a quarter mile is about 5 car lengths difference. That's an eternity in drag racing.

I really Can't wait until someone compares the SS and GT500

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I really Can't wait until someone compares the SS and GT500
I'm sure it will be happening at dragstrips and road courses throughout the summer and the results will be a mixed bag, I'm sure. The GM guys will post up every instance of a GT500 getting beat and the GT500 guys will do the same. Each camp will claim the results in the video are the norm for any SS/GT500 matchup and each will declare a decisive victory over the other.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
Blownhotrodder

Quote:
ive driven his shelby. its crazy fast. im planning on going forced induction on the camaro anyway in a couple yrs. so no way itl catch me then. but like you hes planning on droppin a Kenne Bell in there
While your figuring the cost of the blower kit go ahead and factor in a complete built shortblock with forged internals. With the gt500, throw a kenne bell on their and you have over 1000 crank hp at your disposal. I also dont understand the comments on braking, gt500 has brembos just like the camaro right?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #18
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
While your figuring the cost of the blower kit go ahead and factor in a complete built shortblock with forged internals. With the gt500, throw a kenne bell on their and you have over 1000 crank hp at your disposal. I also dont understand the comments on braking, gt500 has brembos just like the camaro right?
Yes, both have Brembo 4-piston calipers and 14" rotors. I believe the Camaro does have better rear brakes, however, than the GT500, but that has always confused me. According to the Camaro literature, the SS has 14.4" rear rotors and 4-piston rear calipers, but if the front brakes bear the majority of the load when braking, I'm not sure why they would have larger rear brakes than front brakes.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #19
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The GT500 should be running with Corvettes, not Camaros, so if you're going to do this, you need to modify the Camaro pretty aggressively. Throw some money at lightweight rims, drag radials, cold-air intake, catback exhaust, long-tube headers, an aggressive tune, and a driver with anorexia.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The GT500 should be running with Corvettes, not Camaros, so if you're going to do this, you need to modify the Camaro pretty aggressively. Throw some money at lightweight rims, drag radials, cold-air intake, catback exhaust, long-tube headers, an aggressive tune, and a driver with anorexia.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #21
truth411

Quote:

Ummm....GT500's come standard with 3.31 gears, so they're at the same disadvantage or worse.

No Deal!! the GT-500 has a positive displacement supercharger which means tons of power at the bottom, thus it does not really need an aggressive rear end gears.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #22
truth411

Quote:
Yes, both have Brembo 4-piston calipers and 14" rotors. I believe the Camaro does have better rear brakes, however, than the GT500, but that has always confused me. According to the Camaro literature, the SS has 14.4" rear rotors and 4-piston rear calipers, but if the front brakes bear the majority of the load when braking, I'm not sure why they would have larger rear brakes than front brakes.
It has larger drakes in the rear I assume for better brake modulation/feel on the track. It is better than I think the 11.86" rear brakes on the GT-500.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
my cousin says once i get my SS there aint no way i can get his Shelby in a straight unless i Supercharge/Turbocharge it

what do you guys think? is there anyway the SS with all the boltons hang with a bone stock GT500 in a straight? i know itl destroy it in handling.
Oh there are ways besides using forced induction. Since people have already mentioned weight reduction, bolt-ons and better tires, oh toss something like 4.10 gear swap in there too. Between all that, you shouldn't have much of a problem with a GT500.

Now, have you considered spraying? Yeah its considered cheating by many, but your words were "ain't no way" and that is one way. A cam swap might do the trick too but it might not be the easiest way.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #24
Blownhotrodder

All this discussion without touching on the halfshafts in the rear of the camaro. It will be interesting to see what they will be able to handle without failing.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #25
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Well you figure they came out of the ZR1 the half shafts should be fine.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote