Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
horsekack

Drives: Inferno orange 2011 SS, 6 speed...
GM Camaro car cover

I looked around a bit and didn't see this question anywhere so here goes. I just bought my first brand new car ever, a 2011 inferno orange black racing stripes 6 speed 2SS. I am looking to keep this as my nice weather weekend or date driver ( weather permitting ). I do not have a garage at my house but a carport that is pretty well covered. So here is where my question is, has anyone here used the Gm Camaro car cover? If so how well does it work/ protect from the elements and how is cleaning the car cover. Also is there anyway to secure the cover when it is on the car so that way it doesn't get ripped off as easily?
horsekack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
I have the gm cover and I love it. It is easy to put on and take off. I've had it for one year. I throw it in the washer then hang it in the house for a few hours and it dries real fast. It's still in great shape. It's been and off many times in a year and a half. My car made one year old this pass november. Pull up both sides and throw on top of car. Stand at trunk and roll and pull. Place in trunk. It has never scratched anything at all. I will buy another one when this one wears out. Great cover !!!!!!!!
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Wow, you really washed it in the washing machine? Glad you posted that. Mine has marks from tire shine spray and I cant get it out by hand washing so I'l give that a try. I need to find something to pretreat it with I am sure.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Wow, you really washed it in the washing machine? Glad you posted that. Mine has marks from tire shine spray and I cant get it out by hand washing so I'l give that a try. I need to find something to pretreat it with I am sure.
Ive had the same issue. Washing machine hasn't taken it out(I use very little detergent when it's put in there). May just have to live with it :(

Atleast it doesn't show when the cover is on.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
Pull up both sides and throw on top of car. Stand at trunk and roll and pull. Place in trunk.
Good method, but b/c there is always the potential for something to get between the cover and the paint its generally best practice to roll/fold from trunk to roof, then from hood to roof, fold in half and place in the truck. Dragging it along the top has more potential for damage than just folding in place.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
Tire black does not come out but cover is very clean when it comes out the washer,,,,I don't really care. I might try the front and back roll seems to make more sense but I really don't see any scratches after a year and 8 months,,however I get your point
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
It's not the cover itself that will scratch the car, it's the random piece of dirt you don't know is there until the cover finds it and drags it along the car.
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
I've had my cover since January and I use a car port also. Mainly I use my cover to as a deterrence to vandalism and from stray cats in the complex. The main issue I've had with my cover is that even low speed wind will knock the front clip off way too easily. The best remedy to this I've found is to park the front clip facing away from the direction the wind is blowing, but if its faster than 20 MPH I take it off. There have been no issues with scratches because I always wash my car before the cover goes on or gets reapplied. Cleaning in a washing machine is pretty straight forward, just use the cold setting. You can throw the cover in a dryer also if you use the cold setting also. I haven't been able to get tire spray off my cover or even heavy tree sap.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote