Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #26
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
What do you do in the oilfield... I'm a subsea engineer with Diamond Offshore...
As little as possible!

Nah I do Project Controls with Chevron.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Bro, I had to laugh as I was looking through the pics... Your time ticket above, from the Camaro Nats in Sealy, was when we raced ... I'm the one in the left time column... Small world... and that was before my build...
Taking a look at your build - I'd expect you to smash the 13.7 you ran against me!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Bro, I had to laugh as I was looking through the pics... Your time ticket above, from the Camaro Nats in Sealy, was when we raced ... I'm the one in the left time column... Small world... and that was before my build...
Wow, that is too funny. What are the chances? Pretty cool that was you and Brandi (and Pig). Save that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPaul View Post
Taking a look at your build - I'd expect you to smash the 13.7 you ran against me!
Outside of blowing a tire, axle, driveshaft or turbo that 13.7 is a distant memory. That was easily blown away at C5FestII. Multiple times...

Paul - I hope you hit the 13's. That is a great goal to shoot for !
Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #29
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
I ran a best 12.7 at 113 that day in Houston... and yup, it is a distant memory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Wow, that is too funny. What are the chances? Pretty cool that was you and Brandi (and Pig). Save that one.

Outside of blowing a tire, axle, driveshaft or turbo that 13.7 is a distant memory. That was easily blown away at C5FestII. Multiple times...

Paul - I hope you hit the 13's. That is a great goal to shoot for !
Agreed, on all counts...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
BACH
Delving the Ordure ...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS 6M CGM, '94 Z-71
Great shot on those plasma DRLs - you can really tell the difference from the stock lights.

and man that's a nice looking old Chevy truck in the background on the spring before/after shots....

My journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164741
BACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACH View Post
Great shot on those plasma DRLs - you can really tell the difference from the stock lights.

and man that's a nice looking old Chevy truck in the background on the spring before/after shots....
aye, when you getting the antique plates on that thing!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

May 2011 Internal Aqua Blue LED Lighing Project

Bought the Aqua Blue LED Interior lighting kit from AAC. I've wired it into the Dome lighting for now but I'm going to add a SPDT switch once I get it so I can also wire it to the Ambient lighting, that way I can have a bit more control of it.

I also need to find a couple of small LEDs that I can add to the cup holders.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #33
BACH
Delving the Ordure ...

Quote:
aye, when you getting the antique plates on that thing!
I won't tell her you said that - she's sensitive! She's not even a classic yet, although 235k tells you she's been around the block. haha!

Those footwell lights look great! You NEED to do the ABL for the dash now so it matches the doors and footwell (and so you can do it first and I can learn from your mistakes). Matter of fact, that would be great to finally turn the table and have you work on my car for a change.

and the pics of the engine cover..........????? don't keep us waiting til Kemah.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #34
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
I won't tell her you said that - she's sensitive! She's not even a classic yet, although 235k tells you she's been around the block. haha!

Those footwell lights look great! You NEED to do the ABL for the dash now so it matches the doors and footwell (and so you can do it first and I can learn from your mistakes). Matter of fact, that would be great to finally turn the table and have you work on my car for a change.

and the pics of the engine cover..........????? don't keep us waiting til Kemah.
will try and post a couple "ticklers" tonight....
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #35
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Help needed, I've painted my engine cover with Krylon Fusion (Black Gloss) but I am trying to get a high gloss (enamel like finish) to it that will match the custom RS logo I got made. Any advise on what I can paint over the Krylon Fusion with (I believe it is a lacquer). thanks..........
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #36
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Nice!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #37
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Hey Paul, did you try wet sanding and buffing first?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #38
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Hey Paul, did you try wet sanding and buffing first?
Hey, just tried that tonight based on your note, then rinsed it off - I'm feeling lucky , will paint another coat or two tomorrow.............
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #39
BACH
Delving the Ordure ...

Quote:
Hey, just tried that tonight based on your note, then rinsed it off - I'm feeling lucky , will paint another coat or two tomorrow.............
Why am I so impatient with your project...???

oh yeah - cuz you're doing mine next. hurry up!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #40
BACH
Delving the Ordure ...

Quote:
As little as possible!

Nah I do Project Controls with Chevron.
Don't know how I missed this, but ..... he's right - he doesn't do much at all.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #41
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Why am I so impatient with your project...???

oh yeah - cuz you're doing mine next. hurry up!
yeah yeah, let me practise on mine first right.........

Quote:
and I'm damned good at it too!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #42
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
You must be more oilfield trash... Like me...
Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #43
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Dude, I would drive to Houston if you offered to help me do this on Brandi, but I want red accent lighting...
Quote:
May 2011 Internal Aqua Blue LED Lighing Project

Bought the Aqua Blue LED Interior lighting kit from AAC. I've wired it into the Dome lighting for now but I'm going to add a SPDT switch once I get it so I can also wire it to the Ambient lighting, that way I can have a bit more control of it.

I also need to find a couple of small LEDs that I can add to the cup holders.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #44
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Dude, I would drive to Houston if you offered to help me do this on Brandi, but I want red accent lighting...
sure, no problem - it's actually a piece of cake, depending on how you want it wired of course. Currently mine is tapped into the dome light power source so it comes on the same way that one does. I am waiting on a SPDT switch which will allow me to also power it from the existing Ambient lighting in the doors - this way I have a choice of how it is controlled and also the option to switch it off completely.

Give me a shout and maybe we can get a few of us together for a couple of beers and a little mod work

p.s. Try out AAC's website to see if they have red footwell lighting.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #45
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Just finishing hooking up a SPDT switch so I can control my footwell lighting from 2 different power sources and an off option.

Switch Installed:

LEDs powered from the Dome lights (normal light intensity) -(this way for car shows and stuff I can switch the dome light into the Constant on position and have the footwells on also):

LEDs powered from the Ambient Lights and using the ABL dimmer to lower the intensity to the minimum (this way I can drive with the footwell lights on and not have to have the dome light on - I can also change the intensity so it isn't too much of a distraction when driving in the dark)

Last edited by GoPaul; 05-28-2011 at 12:38 PM.
GoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #46
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

May 2011 Engine Cover Project:

1: Ok so to start I removed the heat insulator on the back of the cover and then thoroughly washed and degreased the engine cover. I then marked out the areas of the cover I wanted to cut out with a silver sharpy. I then drilled a number of holes just within the border of my marked areas (so I could get my jigsaw in) I then used the jugsaw to cut out the marked areas (taking care not to run over the lines) I then used some metal files to get down to my straight edges and finished off with sandpaper to smooth the edges down.

2. I bought the perforated aluminim sheet from Amazon.com (I'd never have thought I'd get it from them) cost was approx $20. I used some snips to cut my shapes out. I went with one large piece to cover both of the vertical cut outs and 1 smaller piece for the shaped horizontal.

3. I bought the Aqual blue LED Footwell strips from AAC - cost approx $30-40

4. I then contacted emblemspro.com and asked them if they could make me a V6 engine emblem with the RS symbol (I understand they can pretty much make anything - within reason ) cost $45.

5. Painting the cover was the killer for me, I had to do a lot of "re-do's". I went with the Krylon Fusion in gloss black as it needs no prep, but the number of coats, wet sanding and buffing I had to do to get it right (and I'd say it is only about 80-90% right but not enough to notice) I probably wouldn't use that stuff again, instead I'd probably go with some sort of plastic adhesion promoter and a black enamel.

6. I then bonded the aluminum with an epoxy glue.

7. I applied the LEDs with the sticky double side tape that is on the back of them and also added a few dabs of super glue for some extra bond (not sure what the heat of the engine will do to the 3M tape if anything). I wired each of the LEDs together and then clipped the positive wires to a SPST switch which I also bought from Amazon.com - (The switch comes with a small blue LED built into it which illuminates in the 'on' position). I then ran a ground wire from the "-" terminal of the switch and t-tapped the LEDs to it. I then ran the ground wire to the underside of the fuse box where there is an existing 'grounding point' (any grounding point will do). Then from the "+" power source of the switch I then connected the wire to a fuse using a female terminal one one of the fuse clips, from the remaining fuse clip I ran another wire (also connected with a female terminal) to the fuse box - when you lift the lid of the fuse box there is an existing power source (I loosened the nut and connected my positive wire and tightened the nut back up). The switch now gives full control of the LEDs even when the car is switched off. Also if I need to remove the engine cover then I just need to disconnect the female terminal from the fuse. As I type this I have just realized I havent got a method to disconnect the ground wire though so I will need to cut the ground and stick a female / male quick disconnect combo in the line.

8. The emblem comes with a much stronger bond on the back of it so just applied as is.

9. I also bought a polished stainless oil cap cover for $25 from here http://www.getautoextras.com/Oil-Cap-V6-p/bc-161.htm

Hey presto - hope you like it, I know I do

Last edited by GoPaul; 05-30-2011 at 08:21 PM.
GoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #47
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wow man that looks great, did the wetsanding and buffing help?
I just dropped of my baby this morning to have the Rims done all Gloss black, get my eibachs tomorrow too
Your car is looking badass Paul!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #48
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
wow man that looks great, did the wetsanding and buffing help?
I just dropped of my baby this morning to have the Rims done all Gloss black, get my eibachs tomorrow too
Your car is looking badass Paul!

thanks TJ91, yeah I found the wet sanding helped alot, thanks for the tip. I don't think I will use the Krylon fusion again though to be honest, I wish I'd gone for an enamel paint but the prep would have been alot more.

You will love the Eibachs, they really set the car off and what with your black rims it will look mean!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #49
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Next mod: Trifecta tune - on order
Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #50
BACH
Delving the Ordure ...

Good job Paul! You know who's next.....

I think the circle mesh you chose give sit a better "glow" than the expanded metal look - at least in the photos. Can't wait to see it in person.

I may cruise to Kemah with you.