Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
sqker427

Drives: 2LT Summit White
Getting car repainted/clear bra

I have a 2011 Camaro with paint chipping off the front end. After working with our dealer they have agreed to repaint the front end of the car at their cost. They have recommended a clear coat or cover. I wanted to get people's opinions on here. Should we go with the clear bra or would it be beneficial to pay for additional clear coat? We have the summit white color and I have heard of the clear bra turning yellow? Does anyone know of a reputable place in the state of Delaware that provides the clear bra service?
sqker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I'm confused. Is G.M. paying for this under warranty or are you ?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
GET A CLEAR BRA FOR SURE.... My dealer paid for mine and i do not regret it at all..... it allws you to not worry about getting chips every time you drive the damn thing

as far as yellowing clear bras my neighbor has one on his white lexus and parks it outside every day in florida sun and it is 5 years old. it does have a slight yellowing but honestly if he didnt have it his front end would be toast from road blast.... it still looks good to me. thats why i went with it
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
formare
Suspension by Pedders

Drives: Synergy Edition 13.71@102 1.95 60'
Get 3m clear bra. If it yellows any at all they will replace free of charge under warranty.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
No matter how much clear coat you go with paint will chip. A clear bra is your best solution... and dont forget the gills.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
bradshaw

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS M6
I have the FirstCut with lifetime warranty on the summit white, I have had it on right at one year now and it has not yellowed at all, the only problems I have are a couple areas at the edge of the film where dirt gets under the film and I cannot clean this.
bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Bradshaw.... that should not happen. Sounds like the installer did not heat seal the edges down with a heat gun. Once dirt gets uder there you can not clean it out. You will have to tkae it to him and have him fix it.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Hey Thom I have a few of those areas that are having the dirt issue on mine now.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
sqker427

Drives: 2LT Summit White
Thanks Everyone!

Just to clarify. It is our local dealer who is paying at their cost to have the front of the car repainted. They have stressed that it is not being covered by GM at all, but it is the dealers way of keeping us happy. They recommended after they repaint the car that we should get the clear bra put on.
sqker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Pro-Techt

Drives: Yo momma crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqker427 View Post
Thanks Everyone!

Just to clarify. It is our local dealer who is paying at their cost to have the front of the car repainted. They have stressed that it is not being covered by GM at all, but it is the dealers way of keeping us happy. They recommended after they repaint the car that we should get the clear bra put on.
Now that's a dealer going above and beyond for sure.

I'd get a clear bra. Especially on white. Very undetectable. Make sure you get an installer that uses a film with a lifetime warranty and keep all the paperwork.
Pro-Techt is offline   Reply With Quote