Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
jeb22

Drives: n/a
NO GARAGE!!!

Hey guys! Was just wondering if there was any good advice out there to protect my car...I don't have a garage, ordered my 2SS May 1st and am expecting it to be delivered sometime next month. I've talked to several buddies about it and some of the recommendations I'm getting is to get a car cover (I hear they scratch paint :() or to get a clear "car bra." I've looked into these "car bra's" and they seem like the best option overall, but cost an arm and a leg. Any other good recommendations out there? I'm stationed in Cheyenne, so you can imagine all the dust and what-not that could possibly hurt my vehicle :(.
jeb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Car cover? I have one for mine, but you gotta make sure the car is clean before you put it on, or it's rug the dirt around and scratch the paint.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
wash it alot lol.

then store it in the winter.

we have a two car garage but with 9 cars most of them have to sit out side lol.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z, 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Car cover

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx View Post
Car cover? I have one for mine, but you gotta make sure the car is clean before you put it on, or it's rug the dirt around and scratch the paint.

Exactly. You can buy some really nice car covers that have a soft padding inside. But like this guy said, make sure the car is washed and clean everytime you put it on. If you have a drive way, you can buy a good size tent like thing that has a roof and sides and just park your car inside of that. Depending on where you live in the states and if you get a lot of storms with hail, I would look into getting this tent thing. Not sure what those are really called, but it would work.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
I would be careful before buying a car cover. I have seen a huge windstorm blow down trees and my gazebo 100 yards from where it was before. It would suck to have your $200 plus car cover ripped up from some wind that otherwise wouldn't have hurt your car.
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
No garage either, got 2 cars out in the weather. Do you park in a place where you could utilize an EZ-Up?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
jeb22

I live in an apartment complex so space is very limited :(
Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb22 View Post
I live in an apartment complex so space is very limited :(
I know the feeling. Get yourself an all-weather car cover, just make sure you pull it off if any weather rolls in. Seems redundant to get an all-weather cover, just to take it off during ill weather, but all-weather covers are more heavy-duty, and best suited for (and least likely to damage your car in) any unforeseen wind/rain, etc that gets to the car before you do.

Clear bras are meant to protect the car from pebbles and small debris that may assault the car while you're on the road, but won't do much for you against weather or UV rays. A cover is what you want. Just remember to uncover the car whenever it gets nasty outside.

Oh and don't forget to wax the car. Wax is going to be your greatest ally in this case, especially if she's your DD.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
jeb22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I know the feeling. Get yourself an all-weather car cover, just make sure you pull it off if any weather rolls in. Seems redundant to get an all-weather cover, just to take it off during ill weather, but all-weather covers are more heavy-duty, and best suited for (and least likely to damage your car in) any unforeseen wind/rain, etc that gets to the car before you do.

Clear bras are meant to protect the car from pebbles and small debris that may assault the car while you're on the road, but won't do much for you against weather or UV rays. A cover is what you want. Just remember to uncover the car whenever it gets nasty outside.

Oh and don't forget to wax the car. Wax is going to be your greatest ally in this case, especially if she's your DD.
I hear ya but the weather in Wyoming is pretty radical. I work 14 hours shifts and sometimes here the wind just picks up 30+ mph for no reason out of the blue. This state is really causing me quite the dilemma...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #11
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
I've had my camaro out in the open since I got it about 4 months ago, and picked up a all weather car cover for about 25 bucks. I also got a 6 month unlimited hands free car wash for about $50 from groupon so I think this will hold me to mid-june when I finally get my garage. Just make sure you park it in a spot where only 1 person can park next to you and park opposite of your door where they open it away from your car and not towards.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
My car is outside all the time too. Just wash it often and get a good product to protect your paint. Wax, sealant, polish whatever route you decide to go. Your car will do fine out in the elements if you take the right steps to protect your paint.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just throw a couple coats of wax on there you should be good
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Workinprogress
F Body owner

Drives: ex 2002 ILE SS
Something to think about for your the above advice, (which is very good) Don't get a car cover that advertises that its a Camaro. No stripes or lettering, just one way to draw additional thieves/etc... Just a thought

(thought I'd have a better first post....)
Workinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
My car is outside all the time too. Just wash it often and get a good product to protect your paint. Wax, sealant, polish whatever route you decide to go. Your car will do fine out in the elements if you take the right steps to protect your paint.

I do the same with both of mine, they both sit out 24/7 ...
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
My car sits outside in my driveway . I cover it with a Covercraft NOAH car cover . I bought from autoanything for around 230.00 . Its a perfect fit. I recommend the locking cord that goes underneath the car locking the cover from each side . I have owned these covers for numerous vehicles and love them. As long as you keep them clean there isnt a problem at all. Always make sure you keep the inside off the ground when removing . I always fold the inside in and roll it up and store in the optional bag which I recommend also. Im also buying a portable carport from CAROLINA CARPORTS . A 12x21 is around 695. A 18x21 is 795. All steel construction with a painted galvanized roof. That way it provides a shaded area to wash my baby.
PIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
keep it waxed, but constantly using a cover will beat the crap out of your paint, I wouldn't bother personally.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: '11 1SS/RS, '13 Cruze
I live in an apt complex and mine is outside too. I wash mine at least weekly and use a california duster on it almost daily. I park next to a curb that is next to a tree for some shade. I dont want to use a cover b/c that is an advertistment to thieves and the worry about scratching the paint. The reason I say an advertisment is b/c my b/f is a LEO here and just about every car in our apt complex with a car cover, has been broken into.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb22 View Post
Hey guys! Was just wondering if there was any good advice out there to protect my car...I don't have a garage, ordered my 2SS May 1st and am expecting it to be delivered sometime next month. I've talked to several buddies about it and some of the recommendations I'm getting is to get a car cover (I hear they scratch paint :() or to get a clear "car bra." I've looked into these "car bra's" and they seem like the best option overall, but cost an arm and a leg. Any other good recommendations out there? I'm stationed in Cheyenne, so you can imagine all the dust and what-not that could possibly hurt my vehicle :(.
A car cover isn't something you can put on a car that you drive every day. The scratches are caused by putting the cover on a dusty of dirty car. The dust gets rubbed into the clear and causes clear coat scratches. This isn't something that can't be buffed out, but still.... Also you can't put a car cover on when winds are higher than 15 MPH or it will just get kicked off partially probably causing scratches in the process.

Probably your best bet as on any car to maintain it is to just be through on detailing the exterior. I'm not talking just waxing because that will seal in debris. First you need to apply a clay bar to take crap like tree sap and road tar out of the clear coat. After than you buff to take out any clear coat scratches, then apply polish. After you complete these steps then wax the car. Do you details every 2 to 3 months and should be fine.

Personally I'm not a big believer in clear bras because out her in Phoenix they yellow out within a year from what I've observed. Besides how are you supposed to detail areas that the are under a clear bra? I get most of my chips along the decklid for some reason. The best solution for that is to use a small dab of touch up paint off a toothpick.

The hardest thing to accept about having a cool car is that the appear will never be 100% perfect as new. You have to accept the fact that the chips and scratches will happen and you have to know how to respond. There is no reason at all that any car's exterior won't last outside if proper car is maintained but it will never to be 100% factory new.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #20
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
You can go to any metal building suppy store and thay have covered shelters that even come with sides. My friend got one for his Corvette and loves it. They start about $400ish My Camaro sleeps in the garage WITH a car cover.
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
car cover from covercraft. Use a cable lock.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
A car's biggest enemies when sitting outside are sun, hail, and "fallout" - the bigger of the elements which consist of bird poop, and tree sap.

A car cover will become a hassle if your car is a daily driver, as mentioned. You can't wash it every time the cover goes on, and I'm sure there are days when you get home after work and it's like, "really? I have to put that damn thing on the car again?"

My recommendation is, if you have a piece of property, to put up a car port. That way, you can park it under there and avoid the sun bake as well as the bird crap, tree sap, and some of the settling dust. If you get a lot of wind, you'll do good by staking down the poles, or letting them set in 5 gallon buckets of cement.

I also don't personally believe in clear bras. The sun eats them. They become dull, bug guts stain them, rocks chip them, and between the cost of application and removal, you're better off just having the front of your car lightly worked and resprayed in 10 years.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #23
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
There's always this: http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/pro...uctid=760&id=1

It's a nifty... sort of thing. Though one of the most inconvenient downsides to it is that you have to unzip it, drive off of it, then roll/fold it up and stow it (and vice versa when you get back (unroll/fold it, lay it out where you want to park then drive onto it to zip it.) I suppose it wouldn't be too bad for long term parking if you're going on holiday or if you wanted a smidge of hurricane protection and don't evac or have a garage (or friend with a garage).

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
5GenCamaroSS
2004 Beast Silverado Z71

Drives: NO MONTHLY PAYMENTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 5GenCamaroSS
I too have no garage. I did find out sadly the hard way, that even if you clean and then put the car cover on, you still risk the chance of scraps. I now no longer use a cover and just wash it every other day and do a good wax on it twice a month.

And a side note, I bought the silver with black strips chevy car cover if anyone wants it. Bought it for $310 selling for $250 plus shipping..PM me if interested.

5GenCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
My car cover has yet to scratch my car, but it does leave awful water spots every time I use it. I make sure the car is clean and dry before putting it on, but in the morning when I fold it off of the car, it's as if someone hosed down the car. I have to guess it's just the high humidity of FL that gets trapped under the cover and then condensing in the cool of the early morning hours. I'm probably going to stop using it over night most nights (except the night before the landscaping crew does the neighbourhood. I came out the morning they were out there and there was debris all over my car cover. They were nice enough to come blow the debris off of my cover before I folded it off of the car, though. ).

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote