Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Pollen or water spots?

My car is getting cover in pollen daily. I'm about to give up on washing it for a few weeks. These trees I park next to are brutal...

Would it be better to leave the pollen on my Camaro or could I rinse it off without a full blown wash(no drying)?

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Chainsaw?
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Car Cover! if youre on a budget, walmart has some cheap ones for $30ish...

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
I have the same issue right now, black car + pollen coating every day makes for a messy looking car for a few weeks. Before the pollen season really starts for me I make sure to get a good wax base, for me that means Adams Machine superwax followed by some buttery hand wax. After that I just rinse it off at night to get the worst of the pollen off. Problem is, rinising it off without properly drying it (which i wont do if i dont clean it with shampoo etc) leaves me with water spots (black car..). Its a trade off, for the next few weeks my car will have water spots on it, then once the pollen is done ill clay the car to get rid of the waterspots and put on another nice coat of Adams super wax with my PC.

Really wish i had a garage for her right about now though..
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6 - ABM
Why not buy one of those California Dusters (whatever they're called) and give it a quick brush-off before you drive it? It on;y takes a minute and saves you a whole bunch of money. Having a nice layer of wax on it beforehand does help a lot, too - A coat of quick wax after washing but in between giving it the full treatment is useful, too.

Unfortunately pollen season is pollen season, even for nice cars.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I think a duster would scratch the paint.

A chainsaw might be the right answer. Haha

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
You can safely use the california duster on your paint. Junkman has a video on it, check it out.

I would also suggest waterless wash. Quick wipe down and you're good to go.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have this awesome car that I strive to keep in good condition but have to park it outside and it's my daily driver. You can only do so much. Dust, pollen, bugs, stone chips, all these things will happen.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Dexgto

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Yea we had the problem down here recently. There is nothing you can do but wash it or rinse it off and anyone that tells you differently has never dealt with that level of pollen. You can wash your car dry it off go inside to take a piss and see pollen all over it.
Dexgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
We went through the peak season of it last month ... I just rinsed it off all three cars at night just to keep the worst of it off. Avoid the dusters and covers, they will cause more damage than it's worth. If you get any tannin stains from the trees flowering, Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay is a cleanser that works great to remove the stains.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I have used the California Duster many times and it never damages my car. A few things to remember with it though:

Never use it on a wet car
Don't drop it on the ground and pick it up to keep dusting the car. If you pickup a rock or even a few small speks of dirt that will ruin the clear coat and give you bad swirls.

I have really bad pollen to deal with as well and I have decided to just put up with it for a while. I wash when I can and rinse it at night a couple times but other than droping all the trees or getting a garage, there is not much you can do. Car covers are out for me because it rains a lot in WA.
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Keep washing it ...... We should be almost done with the pollen here in South Jersey. I keep mine in the garage and pollen still seems to find its way in. I did not care much for the car cover when I used it on my Chevelle it like to leave fuzzies on the car after a rain.

Good luck with your new ride

LS3 with CAI, Custom Ground Comp Cam with Underdrive Pulley, XS Power Long Tube Headers and Exhausts, Pfadt Lowering Springs, BMR Sways.
2011ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Russ
The Milkman

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
I have used the California Duster many times and it never damages my car. A few things to remember with it though:

Never use it on a wet car
Don't drop it on the ground and pick it up to keep dusting the car. If you pickup a rock or even a few small speks of dirt that will ruin the clear coat and give you bad swirls.

I have really bad pollen to deal with as well and I have decided to just put up with it for a while. I wash when I can and rinse it at night a couple times but other than droping all the trees or getting a garage, there is not much you can do. Car covers are out for me because it rains a lot in WA.
+1
California duster works great!!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Buy a California duster, bring it in your house, unfold a newspaper, put the duster on it (with the strings of it spread out as much as possible), leave it there for 2 days. When the duster was new, I used it, and it left a wierd oily residue on the car, so I did the newspaper trick, and it hasn't done that since...and I've heard from others that you'e suppossed to do that. Now, use it as much as you want when the car is "clean" but covered in pollen.

My Camaro is black, we buffed it and waxed it 6 weeks ago, NO swirls on the entire car...I've washed it many times since, and waxed it 1 more time since...and I use the duster on it all the time...it still has NO swirls on it at all. The pollen has been really nuts lately. I mean...wipe the car completely clean, walk away and walk back, and there's pollen on it again...it blows, but what can you do? Just clean it off again lol.
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Don't chop down those lilacs!