Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Exclamation Upgrade axels or suspension first?

This past weekend I was at my first drag strip (pics in my profile) but I did NOT run my car at all. I bought this 2010 2SS/RS LS3 and baby it like you wouldn't believe. It is my first sports car, my first real new car and my baby I was scared of running it because I know that there are issues with snapping axels and other rear end components and to be honest I'm scared of breaking something haha. I knew I wasn't going to run it and was fine with it, but after that day wrapped up... I wish I would have... looked like so much fun!!!

My "question" is what have some other Camaro owners done to overcome the fear of the "wheel hop" that can lead to so many problems. I have done searching and have read many threads about upgrading axels or rear suspension parts or even whole kits. I know that doing new axels will then just make that stronger but everything else still "weak" and that suspension kits can reduce wheel hop as well etc... etc...

Do any of you have some advice on some routes with upgrades and personal experiences as to what has helped with feeling more comfortable launching the car?

And because I have an earlier model 2010 (no rear-assist sensors) does that make me more prone to these issues?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
I'd validate your tranny's output shaft.. I've seen people complain about those snapping on the earlier builds..

I have upgraded axles, PFADT solid sub frame mounts and trailing arms -- but, since I'm still on the PZ0s, I'm not looking at too much improvement in traction other than less wheel hop (which is what I wanted) and a little better rear alignment and such.. Though, once I do put drag radials on it, i'll be in much better odds with not breaking something.. My axles came free with my S/C -- so, that was a nice bonus.

Honestly -- being as stock as you are.. Just don't dump the clutch at the line or put slicks/drag radials on.. I can't promise you'll never break something (that's always a risk) -- but, you're not "on edge".. Also, if you even think you're experiencing wheel hop, get out of the throttle immediately.. Even stock you'll tear something up by pushing through wheel hop. I'd do suspension first, you'll get more parts there than the 1500+ you'll spend on axles.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would look into upgrading your suspension some first. A stock vehicle shouldn't snap the axles unless you are launching pretty hard. We recomend you get the suspension handled add some power and then get the axles taken care of. Unless you plan on being at the track every other day. We carry BMR products and offer free shipping, check it out.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Mikamaro
Mike

Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
I would look into upgrading your suspension some first. A stock vehicle shouldn't snap the axles unless you are launching pretty hard. We recomend you get the suspension handled add some power and then get the axles taken care of. Unless you plan on being at the track every other day. We carry BMR products and offer free shipping, check it out.
Which part of the suspension would you start with, if I can ask you to be more precise.
thankyou

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Trailing arms and bushings, subframe bushings, and differential bushings are where I'd start.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Which part of the suspension would you start with, if I can ask you to be more precise.
thankyou
Sub-frame bushings. Depending on your horsepower goals, the inserts should be fine. Between the inserts and some trailing arms, wheel hop at stock or close to stock power levels should be manageable. I've done the inserts, waiting to see if trailing arms will be needed.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Mikamaro
Mike

Okay! Bushings..everyone seems to be on the same page. Could you explain to me what they will do compare to the oem?

Also another question; how would you fix the nose dive when you release tha gaz pedal on the top end of the rpms in 3rd gear?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
If your stock I doubt you will break anything.. if it wheel hops get off the gas..

But to eliminate wheel hop like everyone said replace the rear bushings to cradle, dif, and suspension components
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Okay! Bushings..everyone seems to be on the same page. Could you explain to me what they will do compare to the oem?

Also another question; how would you fix the nose dive when you release tha gaz pedal on the top end of the rpms in 3rd gear?
They stiffen up the car so the rear end doesn't bounce around with all the slop in the stock bushings.

Push in the clutch pedal.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Quote:

GM's stock bushings are rubber and flex a ton! This creates body roll and flex in the suspension. Flex will cause wheel hop! BMR bushings are polyurethane and will not flew. They will stiffen your ride up some but it's a small price to pay for wicked launches and handling like your on rails.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
jmart53

should I just worry about the rear bushings or get a complete kit for both front and rear?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
should I just worry about the rear bushings or get a complete kit for both front and rear?
If you worried about over handling do the front. If your worried about launching without wheel hop, do the rear.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
jmart53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
If you worried about over handling do the front. If your worried about launching without wheel hop, do the rear.
So the BK030 Rear Cradle Kit and BK021 Rear Suspension Kit would be a good choice to improve launching and hopefully lessen the chance of wheel hop? What would be the pros/cons if I did the Complete Pro Kit over just doing the 2 Rear Kits.

Also, are there any major differences between the BMR street and pro kits?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Check out this article from our blog.

Curing Camaro Wheel Hop

It explains what causes wheel hop and what upgrades help eliminate it.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
So the BK030 Rear Cradle Kit and BK021 Rear Suspension Kit would be a good choice to improve launching and hopefully lessen the chance of wheel hop? What would be the pros/cons if I did the Complete Pro Kit over just doing the 2 Rear Kits.

Also, are there any major differences between the BMR street and pro kits?
The BMR Pro bushings are stiffer than the Street bushings. Their name indicates their intended us. The Street bushings are a good option for tightening things up for street applications and the Pro bushings are for more aggressive applications. A stiffer bushing obviously performs better but will transmit more NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics) into the chassis. There isn't much to be afraid of with the sub frame bushing, go as solid as you can on those (Pfadt solid mounts are ideal but not cheap), but you have to be careful with the rear differential bushings. Depending on how your rear end was set up from the factory you can end up with gear whine if you go too stiff which isn't pleasant for street applications.

It doesn't sound like you are trying to build a race car, just trying to make some common sense upgrades so you will feel more comfortable driving more aggressively. I would recommend BMR BK024 to firm up the sub frame, BK001 for the rear differential, BK006 for the trailing arm bushings, and TCA026 trailing arms. That should help a lot without degrading ride quality. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 05-12-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Mikamaro
Mike

It explains a lot of questions I had, I think changing the Arm will be my first modification for getting better results in Autocrossing...
Thank you guys