Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
ThatGuy25

Drives: 2011 V6 Camaro Ls
Plasti Dip

I've been taking break from the mechanical aspect of the car and looking a little more into cosmetics. Yes, as you can see my car is just the bones stock 2011 ls (cosmetically) I've been wanting to change the rims and add a spoiler.

But i'm here to get your guy's opinion as to plasti dipping the hood of the car into a matte black. It seems cheap and easy to do. Is there anything i should know?

Any info would be much help.

Thanks
ThatGuy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
foo.fighter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS IOM 6speed
something that big would be a couple cans i bet if you wanna do a couple coats... why not just get it wrapped? a bit more expensive but id say better off in the long run...

i just plasti dipped some stuff on my car, i did the spoiler and front and rear emblems so far. its not hard to plasti dip but just my .02. if you do go that route make its in a well ventilated area

NPP Exhaust, Diablo Angel Black Staggered 22", Eagle Eye Halo HIDs, Fog Light HIDs
foo.fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
Something to think about.
After reading all the info on Plasi-dip on this and other forums, I dipped the stock wheels on my 2004 2500HD…now I am kinda tired of it. When I tried taking it off…not happening. That stuff will not come off easy, as a matter of fact…almost impossible in some spots.
Now, I have had it on for over a year, but something you may want to think about.

just my $.02
2SS/RS IBM, American Racing BLVD Wheels, 275/40, 295/40 Toyo Proxes, Eibach 1" drop Springs, Muffler Delete, Elite Catch Can, CAI, CFD Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter w/ Tap Shift, APR Carbon Fiber Splitter, Sequential Tail Lights, MPD1 Spoiler
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH 2012 SS/RS View Post
After reading all the info on Plasi-dip on this and other forums, I dipped the stock wheels on my 2004 2500HD…now I am kinda tired of it. When I tried taking it off…not happening. That stuff will not come off easy, as a matter of fact…almost impossible in some spots.
Now, I have had it on for over a year, but something you may want to think about.

just my $.02

Yeah, a lot of people claim you can just "peel it off" when you get tired of it, but I've never had that experience. I did the chrome front bumper on my truck a few years back, that stuff was not coming off easily.

There is a solvent you can get from dipyourcar that will take it off. It's not cheap but from what I hear it does a pretty good job.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3/M6 | SLP LMII Axle-Back Exhaust | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | GM Dovetail Spoiler | GM Heritage Grille (still in a box - to be installed) | SLP Hockey Stick Stripes (White) | SLP Rear Panel Blackout/Retro SS Emblems | Oracle Concept Side Markers | Phastek Sequential Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics LED DRLs
FilibustaRhymes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:

just my $.02
Just a hint for you, that happens when you don't have enough coats, so just put more plastidip on top of the old one and watch magic happening! Been playing with that for couple months now...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Plasti-Dip....One of the most overused products on the planet. Over the last 4 years or so, there's like a frenzy going on for this stuff. Should have bought me some stock in it 5 years ago. Don't get me wrong though...I've used it myself. Coated my Silverado letters on my truck last year. But wheels, hoods, whole cars??? Hell, just paint your whole house and the wife and kids with it.
RobertRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
mpiersd

Drives: '10 ABM 2LT/RS
Quote:

just my $.02
Thanks. I've been wanting to plasti-dip a few things on my car, but the whole "removal" part had me worried if I got tired of it.

Coquette: ABM, 2LT/RS, #1848 of 3903 and 1 of 29.

CAI, Gen5DIY DRL LED's, Gen5DIY DRL Harness, 35% Tint, RX Catch Can(ABM) & Oil Filler Cap Breather(ABM), ZL-1 Springs, custom blue bow ties
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
If you put a thick enough layer it peels off clean, even cleaner than peeling vinyl off (which has left residue on my car before).

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
Dyk-NO

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
well I'll share a good trick of cleaning off dip residue.

WD40 works like oxiclean! haha but yea no joke wd40!

Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
I would recommend turtle wax bug and tar remover. It melts the stuff off instantly. It's clear coat safe and dissolves it like it's nothing.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
SilverStone
laser geek

Drives: 2013 sim v6
WD-40 is what you need if it won't peel off. I have to say even I like plasti dip, it looks kinda cheap if it is applied to large area, for example, hood.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Plastidip is amazing applied correctly, I've had my bow ties dipped for two years and they still look brand new, I did my stock rims a while back than peeled them off and one area wasn't a heavy enough cost applied so it didn't peel right off but a very very small amount t of goo gone and water and it literally melted right off, this stuff is 100 percent safe and very very effective
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/Subthump stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
Thanks... I'll be trying a few of these tricks
2SS/RS IBM, American Racing BLVD Wheels, 275/40, 295/40 Toyo Proxes, Eibach 1" drop Springs, Muffler Delete, Elite Catch Can, CAI, CFD Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter w/ Tap Shift, APR Carbon Fiber Splitter, Sequential Tail Lights, MPD1 Spoiler
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Ya there is a thread on here with plasti dip tips. If you do it right it is easy to peal off. You really got to lay down the coats. That being said I wouldn't plasti dip my hood. Go the vinyl route. It will be more expensive but in the end you will be happy with it. I am not sure you could get the plasti dip perfect on an entire hood. You will see little spots where you went to heavy or too light. That would bug the heck out of me. Get a friend and do a wet application of the vinyl. Watch some youtube videos on how you do it. I really think you will end up much happier if you go that route. That is coming from a huge fan a plasti dip.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Comes off pretty easy in this video, 7 min 16 sec mark

Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
Ya there is a thread on here with plasti dip tips. If you do it right it is easy to peal off. You really got to lay down the coats. That being said I wouldn't plasti dip my hood. Go the vinyl route. It will be more expensive but in the end you will be happy with it. I am not sure you could get the plasti dip perfect on an entire hood. You will see little spots where you went to heavy or too light. That would bug the heck out of me. Get a friend and do a wet application of the vinyl. Watch some youtube videos on how you do it. I really think you will end up much happier if you go that route. That is coming from a huge fan a plasti dip.
agree 100%. Unless you go their sprayer route it is really hard to do large or long pieces evenly
Old 08-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Just dipped my entire A6 audi because the stock paint was shot and scratched to hell. Did it in pealized yellow and it looks 110% better.

Did my fog light bezels on the camaro in red and they look good but not as nice as an actual paint job.

IMO pasti dip is the quickest and most economical way to go especially on an older vehicle.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
mpiersd

Hmmm...... Paint or Plasti-dip.......

CAI, Gen5DIY DRL LED's, Gen5DIY DRL Harness, 35% Tint, RX Catch Can(ABM) & Oil Filler Cap Breather(ABM), ZL-1 Springs, custom blue bow ties
Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
Hmmm...... Paint or Plasti-dip.......
To paint thy camaro pros:

1. Way more durable to weather and elements
2. You can polish and wax it
3. More color options

Cons:

1. A lot more expensive to do
2. You have to live with the finished product

To dip thy camaro pros:

1. Every easy to apply yourself (check out dipyourcar.com)
2. A lot cheaper than paint (6x cheaper to have it done professionally up here)
3. Make a mistake or don't like how it looks just peel off and start again.

Cons:

1. Cannot polish or wax. Has a rough texture feel.
2. Not as durable to the elements. Spoke to a guy that dipped in matte black and color faded to gray in a few months (pealizer or glosipher is supposed to help with this.
3. Does not stick on all surfaces.

IMO if I were to redo my camaro I would probably vynl wrap it. Way better looking cosmetically, can be waxed and it will peel off like plati dip. It cost more but not as much as a new paint job.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
red-aro

Drives: Victory Red LS
I did my interior door panels in red plasti dip. Looked great! But I wanted to go with a more glossy appearance. It had been on for about 7 months. It was a pain in the a$$ to get off cause I didn't spray it on thick enough. Same with my tail light bezels. Moral of the story: if you plasti dip, make it thick.
red-aro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #21
Steven13

Drives: 13' Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
agree 100%. Unless you go their sprayer route it is really hard to do large or long pieces evenly
Steven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
mpiersd

Pretty sure I'm just going to have it painted when I get the body shop to respray the front bumper I'm getting, since they'll already be painting. And it shouldn't be much more to add in the rear blackout along with the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
To paint thy camaro pros:

1. Way more durable to weather and elements
2. You can polish and wax it
3. More color options

Cons:

1. A lot more expensive to do
2. You have to live with the finished product

To dip thy camaro pros:

1. Every easy to apply yourself (check out dipyourcar.com)
2. A lot cheaper than paint (6x cheaper to have it done professionally up here)
3. Make a mistake or don't like how it looks just peel off and start again.

Cons:

1. Cannot polish or wax. Has a rough texture feel.
2. Not as durable to the elements. Spoke to a guy that dipped in matte black and color faded to gray in a few months (pealizer or glosipher is supposed to help with this.
3. Does not stick on all surfaces.

IMO if I were to redo my camaro I would probably vynl wrap it. Way better looking cosmetically, can be waxed and it will peel off like plati dip. It cost more but not as much as a new paint job.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #23
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
Dip your car has a new product that protects the dip. It removes the rubbery texture, plus it all depends how you apply it. I find it annoying because gasoline can dissolve it and every time your fingers touch it, it wants to peel.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote