Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Army333

Drives: 2011 2SS IBM CAMARO
How To Fix A Cut

Hello to all,
Does anyone know where would be a good body shop in the Los Angeles County to go to in order to fix a small cut in the drivers side door? The one shop I went to asked for $650.00 which I thought was a little too much, or is that about average? Sadly, I've had the car for no longer then three weeks.

Background:
I had an issue on the freeway last Saturday where I was behind a semi-truck that tossed a few rocks, two of which hit my car. One mark was a small nick on the hood (size of a chocolate chip) but nothing too serious and the other is a cut on the driver's door (about an inch and a half long).

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Army333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Do you mean cut as in through the metal? The picture just looks like a nice deep scratch. If just a scratch $650 is WAY WAY High. I had a dent and totally missing paint bigger than that fully repaired at the dealership 2 months ago for $380

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
680 is pretty high, I would see what they could do for a little touchup, clear and polish. You will notice it less being touched up than the whole doors metallic not matching the rest of the car. Just my opinion, good luck.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Army333

That's what I was told (it being a cut). The metal looks to be untouched. The paint was "shoved" to the rear of the affected area and so that's what I originally thought it to be, a scratch. If looking at it in person, one can see that the clear coat and paint are the only affected areas. The body shop wants to charge $39.00 for the materials and the rest for labor.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army333 View Post
That's what I was told (it being a cut). The metal looks to be untouched. The paint was "shoved" to the rear of the affected area and so that's what I originally thought it to be, a scratch. If looking at it in person, one can see that the clear coat and paint are the only affected areas. The body shop wants to charge $39.00 for the materials and the rest for labor.
Then if it's just a scratch then no way i'd pay that much. Mine was dented on the front fender, knocked the Camaro letters off and totally exposed bare metal about an inch round circle. Dealership repaired it to brand new with a flawless paint match for $380.

Your shop states only $39 for materials so no way they are doing anything other than a touch up job. Actual paint and clear would cost more than that for just the paint alone. They are trying to screw you with a touch up job and hundreds and hundreds of dollars in bogus labor.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
CraziGuy
CallMeCrzyButILuvV6s312HP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LS 2005 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Then if it's just a scratch then no way i'd pay that much. Mine was dented on the front fender, knocked the Camaro letters off and totally exposed bare metal about an inch round circle. Dealership repaired it to brand new with a flawless paint match for $380.

Your shop states only $39 for materials so no way they are doing anything other than a touch up job. Actual paint and clear would cost more than that for just the paint alone. They are trying to screw you with a touch up job and hundreds and hundreds of dollars in bogus labor.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Army333

Damn...I hate being jerked around. I'm gonna ask if my dealership can do it, if not, try and find another bodyshop. Thanks for all the help!!!