Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #137
JJ#48Racing

 
Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Ok guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but keep in mind I've never done this before.. :P

...so when doing the Zaino process, do you do the entire car? Including windows and all? Or just the paint?

The reason I ask is because in your pics, your windows look pretty damn shiny too!

Thanks!
They make a special polish for the glass (I can't remember the Z#). Don't use the paint polish on the glass.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #138
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
When i ordered i bought a 6 pack of the mediums.i just fold it twice ,and flip/reverse fold as needed.That would be more of a preference thing.
Thanks.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #139
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351
 
Embalmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 607
Anyone use the Zaino

leather
glass
tire

cleaner products? Are they worth it or should you just get off the shelf stuff?
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #140
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Ok guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but keep in mind I've never done this before.. :P

...so when doing the Zaino process, do you do the entire car? Including windows and all? Or just the paint?

The reason I ask is because in your pics, your windows look pretty damn shiny too!

Thanks!
I did the entire car... I called Sal Zaino and he told me that he does the same... it is really good for keeping the headlight covers clear.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #141
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I have a question about the towels.

I'll be ordering towels from http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html. What size of towels do yall use for which steps and how many of each do yall use during the full process (washing, claying and applying 3 coats of polish)?
get at least 4 towels... I like the small ones.... never used the mediums.

Use a new towel everytime ...towels are used for: drying, buffing off the haze, and applying the gloss enhanser (Z-6). I keep the z-6 towel in a freezer bag and reuse it for only Z-6.

you need the zaino applicator pad for the Z-2, Z-5 or Z-aio..... use a towel for buffing the haze off.... and a separate towel is needed for the Z-6 (or Z8).

Last edited by Bell040; 03-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #142
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
I'm going to claybar it with the Zaino wash as a lube.

Do the Dawn wash and all that jazz.

I am torn on the next step:

Which is the Z-2 / Z-6 merry go round

OR

Just do Z-AIO and Z-CS followed by a Z-8 the next day and call it good.....
The Z2 and Z6 "merry-go-round" is much nicer.... everytime you put a new coat on...it gets glossier... looks more and more like liquid metal !!!

I was as impressed with the Z-aio.... I think it is better to use Z-aio as a basecoat to fill or remove scratches...as it is the only product that contains an abrasive (other than Z-pc)... then do the z2 and z6 merry-go-round

Last edited by Bell040; 03-26-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #143
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Anyone use the Zaino

leather
glass
tire

cleaner products? Are they worth it or should you just get off the shelf stuff?
I use the leather and the tire stuff.... very nice...and it smells good

....make sure to put a second coat of the tire stuff on the tires after a few days.... they get dull with only one coat (i assume it is absorbing the product)... the second coat shines for weeks (or months... i have only seen it work for the last 4 weeks... but its still going strong)
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #144
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
get at least 4 small towels...

Use a new towel everytime ...towels are only used for drying and buffing off the haze... not application.

you need the zaino applicator pad for the Z-2, Z-5 or Z-aio..... use the towel for buffing the haze off.... and no towel is required for the Z-6
Here is what I was thinking about getting.
- 2 Smalls (13x13). One for washing and one for applying Z-6
- 2 Mediums (17x30). For drying.
- 6 pack of Medium-Small (17x17). For buffing and removing the haze.

I'll also be ordering 2 Zaino applicators, one for polishing and one just for Z-CS.

Should I get another applicator and another Small towel or would that be enough?
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #145
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Here is what I was thinking about getting.
- 2 Smalls (13x13). One for washing and one for applying Z-6
- 2 Mediums (17x30). For drying.
- 6 pack of Medium-Small (17x17). For buffing and removing the haze.

I'll also be ordering 2 Zaino applicators, one for polishing and one just for Z-CS.

Should I get another applicator and another Small towel or would that be enough?
I have 4 applicators... it is nice to have 4 because i use one for the z-cs and the other 3 for the polishes.... then you can have a clean one while you are washing the used ones with the laundry

they come free when you buy a kit.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #146
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351
 
Embalmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 607
Ok, so I've made my decision. I do want to put a few layers of polish on sooo...

I'm going with this:

Dawn Wash
Z-18 Claybar with Z-7 Wash
Z-7 Wash
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-CS

and done.

I'll wash every couple of weeks with Z-7 and finish with a Z-8 spray.

Although the website says Z-8 is not a replacement for Z-6 it later goes on to say:

Do I use Z-8 or Z-6 between coats of Zaino Show Car Polishes (Z-2 PRO, Z-3 and Z-5)?
Either Z-6 or Z-8 will achieve fantastic results. For our more budget conscious customers, outstanding results have and will continue to be attained using Z-6 prior to each application of Zaino polish. We’re spoiled; we use Z-8 all the time.

To me this means the contrary, that it, in fact, can be a replacement for Z-6 if you spend the xtra $10/bottle.

I figure, why buy both if you CAN use Z-8 as a replacement and it has a better shine to it than the Z-6.

I'm also going to try the Z-16 tire gloss.

1 Oval Applicator for the CS
1 Polish Applicator for the Z-2 (+1 free for +$25 order)
Using white 100% cotton towel for the Z-8

So there it is, that's my decision.

$141.05 - that's the most I've ever spent on car products....this stuff better fricken ROCK
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #147
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Here is what I was thinking about getting.
- 2 Smalls (13x13). One for washing and one for applying Z-6
- 2 Mediums (17x30). For drying.
- 6 pack of Medium-Small (17x17). For buffing and removing the haze.

I'll also be ordering 2 Zaino applicators, one for polishing and one just for Z-CS.

Should I get another applicator and another Small towel or would that be enough?
i dont recommend using them for washing the car ,i believe you should use something with a thicker nap to it. like this http://www.autogeek.net/sheepwas.html

you may want to get a few more applicators(but thats just personal choice)i throw mine out when im done with them.i tried washing them ,but it didnt work out so well.


and this works fantastic for bug and tar removal http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

just make sure it is wet when you use it

For leather care i am going to try this out http://www.autogeek.net/colecakit.html
i figured if Ferrari , Rolls-Royce,and other high end cars trust them to supply beautiful leather hide for their interiors,i would trust them with the leather in my interior
__________________

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.

Last edited by Nexus6; 03-26-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #148
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man
 
ravensjeff's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eldersburg,MD
Posts: 2,186
Nexus- I sent you a pm.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #149
AlaskaZ06
 
AlaskaZ06's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 RS/SS 396
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Ok, so I've made my decision. I do want to put a few layers of polish on sooo...

I'm going with this:

Dawn Wash
Z-18 Claybar with Z-7 Wash
Z-7 Wash
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-CS

and done.

I'll wash every couple of weeks with Z-7 and finish with a Z-8 spray.

Although the website says Z-8 is not a replacement for Z-6 it later goes on to say:

Do I use Z-8 or Z-6 between coats of Zaino Show Car Polishes (Z-2 PRO, Z-3 and Z-5)?
Either Z-6 or Z-8 will achieve fantastic results. For our more budget conscious customers, outstanding results have and will continue to be attained using Z-6 prior to each application of Zaino polish. We’re spoiled; we use Z-8 all the time.

To me this means the contrary, that it, in fact, can be a replacement for Z-6 if you spend the xtra $10/bottle.

I figure, why buy both if you CAN use Z-8 as a replacement and it has a better shine to it than the Z-6.

I'm also going to try the Z-16 tire gloss.

1 Oval Applicator for the CS
1 Polish Applicator for the Z-2 (+1 free for +$25 order)
Using white 100% cotton towel for the Z-8

So there it is, that's my decision.

$141.05 - that's the most I've ever spent on car products....this stuff better fricken ROCK
Use the Z-6 between coats, much cheaper and easier to use. After CS then use the Z8 and your good to go, after that just wash and dry and top it with Z8 again. I dont like the cotton towels I prefer the micro-fiber...less streaking. Just one word of advice....less is best, if it looks like your hardly putting any product on, than you are using the right amount. If you put on to thick it takes a long time to dry. If the weather is warm and low humidity you will not have to wait 2 hours, maybe 30 min at most. Good Luck
__________________
IN MY GARAGE
2010 2SS/RS Camaro from Camaro Scotty, Magnuson TVS2300 supercharger, Kooks LTH with High flow cats, ADM RACE CAI, Barton Shifter, Livernois tune, Eibach Pro kit...
2006 C6 Z06
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible
1971 Corvette convertible
1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro
2009 335i xdrive BMW[/B]
AlaskaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #150
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Ok, so I've made my decision. I do want to put a few layers of polish on sooo...

I'm going with this:

Dawn Wash
Z-18 Claybar with Z-7 Wash
Z-7 Wash
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-2 w/ZFX
Z-8 (2 hrs later as recommended)
Z-CS

and done.

I'll wash every couple of weeks with Z-7 and finish with a Z-8 spray.

Although the website says Z-8 is not a replacement for Z-6 it later goes on to say:

Do I use Z-8 or Z-6 between coats of Zaino Show Car Polishes (Z-2 PRO, Z-3 and Z-5)?
Either Z-6 or Z-8 will achieve fantastic results. For our more budget conscious customers, outstanding results have and will continue to be attained using Z-6 prior to each application of Zaino polish. We’re spoiled; we use Z-8 all the time.

To me this means the contrary, that it, in fact, can be a replacement for Z-6 if you spend the xtra $10/bottle.

I figure, why buy both if you CAN use Z-8 as a replacement and it has a better shine to it than the Z-6.

I'm also going to try the Z-16 tire gloss.

1 Oval Applicator for the CS
1 Polish Applicator for the Z-2 (+1 free for +$25 order)
Using white 100% cotton towel for the Z-8

So there it is, that's my decision.

$141.05 - that's the most I've ever spent on car products....this stuff better fricken ROCK
sounds perfect......and it does rock.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #151
69 Hugger

 
69 Hugger's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumit Point, WV
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
the ZFX drops makes it cure (not dry) faster.... 8 coats should have taken you at least 4 days without them.
This is how the instructions read "Zaino (ZFX) Polish accelerator enables polish to cure instantly and increases durability. The exclusive product allows you to create a show car finish in a day and gives your car months of lasting protection".

With the temperature at 50 it took me about 6 days. If I'd of used the ZFX drops I could of done it in a day, The drops make the polish cure instantly/dry faster, increases durabillity/
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #152
69 Hugger

 
69 Hugger's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumit Point, WV
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
You have to use the drops if you are going to do more than one coat in a day.
Yeah I did, took me 6 days wasn't in a hurry I'm still adding coats when I get bored Normally I read the instuctions last but when it comes to paint I read em first Glad I did, But thanks
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #153
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
This is how the instructions read "Zaino (ZFX) Polish accelerator enables polish to cure instantly and increases durability. The exclusive product allows you to create a show car finish in a day and gives your car months of lasting protection".

With the temperature at 50 it took me about 6 days. If I'd of used the ZFX drops I could of done it in a day, The drops make the polish cure instantly/dry faster, increases durabillity/
im suprised it dried at all with it being 50 degrees out. Very cool
__________________

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Made a HUGE mistake today...(Review) Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-13-2009 12:40 PM
Some are saying that customer order production started TODAY GLBL WMR Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 70 03-17-2009 01:07 AM
Didn't hear from dealer today, did anyone? Rob53 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 02-20-2009 08:16 AM
My experience at the dealer today 1/17/09 (thanks fbodfather) Speedy1975 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 37 02-08-2009 06:22 PM
Is alternative energy as we know it today a good Idea? Angrybird 12 Off-topic Discussions 15 08-09-2008 03:18 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.