Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
TheWalrus

Drives: 89 Miata
2009 Toyota Prius

Looking forward to picking mine up later this year! Have you guys heard anything about it? Sounds like it's going to be a great way to reduce gas consumption.

Fortunately I'll still have my 89 Miata on the side for a little fun on the weekends.
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
WTF WHO CARES
Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Wrong website/forum?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
TheWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
WTF WHO CARES

Clearly not you. I, however, do, and as this is the "Other Cars" discussion, I trust that you'll either ignore the thread or contribute positively.

Frankly I don't see what the problem is with offsetting your fuel consuption by having an efficient daily driver.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
Clearly not you. I, however, do, and as this is the "Other Cars" discussion, I trust that you'll either ignore the thread or contribute positively.

Frankly I don't see what the problem is with offsetting your fuel consuption by having an efficient daily driver.
I guess it is because your first post to a CHEVROLET CAMARO forum is about a TOYOTA PRIUS.. and you mention a MAZDA MIATA...
it's just does not look good to some people... feel free to post about the CAMARO in other sections.
Thank you and welcome to the forum...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
the problem is fanboy-ism

i'm not saying i like the prius, just making it clear that even though this is the "other car" forum in reality for the majority here it's the "chevy > everything" forum no matter how good the other car is. it gets old after a while because you can't have a discussion here about any car other than the almighty GM cars.

*edit*
see, skyman proves my point

Last edited by diddiyo; 03-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

I'm just curious why you signed up here. I don't mean it to be offensive, just interested if you are looking to get a Camaro in the future. I don't flaunt my Camaro purchase on Prius boards; it makes little sense.

Also, I'm assuming you're well versed in issues such as this. Enjoy the Prius.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
TheWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
the problem is fanboy-ism chevy volt = god, everything else = crap.

i'm not saying i like the prius, just making it clear that even though this is the "other car" forum in reality it's the "chevy > everything" forum no matter how good the other car is.
Chevy Volt actually looks pretty awesome, to be honest. But it's a good deal more, from what I hear, than something like the Prius. If you're not wealthy (and I dare say I'm not), I'm looking for relative efficiency bang for the buck when it comes to a daily driver.

Further disclosure, the new Camaro looks pretty sweet as well. Of course with this economy I'll probably not be looking for another new car any time in the near future.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
TheWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I'm just curious why you signed up here. I don't mean it to be offensive, just interested if you are looking to get a Camaro in the future. I don't flaunt my Camaro purchase on Prius boards; it makes little sense.

Also, I'm assuming you're well versed in issues such as this. Enjoy the Prius.

Two reasons. (a) What fun would that be? (b) The best advice / questions usually comes from people who aren't already on the same page that you are.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
TheWalrus

Also, that article has been fairly widely discredited.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
All I'd ask is that you don't "look down upon" those that drive less fuel efficient vehicles. That certainly will get you flamed around here right quick. The elitist attitude of some Prius drivers has, on the whole, ruined the perception of the rest of them.

If you're just looking to reduce costs by getting better mileage, then congrats on the purchase
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
If you really want an efficient/economical/environmental Toyota, get the Corolla. It has as many comfort features but costs half as much. That $15000 buys a lot of gas (with 3L/100km difference in consumption, it would take 500 000 km of driving for you to save money at $1/L). Plus, the fact that its built in Canada without that hybrid drivetrain means there is less total environmental impact (no nickle mining, no empty carriers making trans-pacific voyages burning thousands of gallons of bunker diesel, etc).

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 03-04-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: revised my numbers
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
undrcop2010

Drives: 1LT/RS SIM
How about that 2010 Camaro?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Oracle

Drives: Ford Focus
Currently the Prius is the "best" solution to all things calling for fuel economy, asside from a TDI wearing a VW badge. it has a mild price tag so the middle class can keep their hands in, good fuel efficiency particularly in the city, and styling that is undoubtably recognized. but in one years time it really wont make sense anymore. the prius has to be owned by the highest officials and celebrities or they get badged as not caring for the environment, our health, or america. but in a year the Volt will be out and the upper class will immidietly move out of those priuses (is that the plural or would it pri'i) to be at the forefront of the field. that leaves the middle class holding onto their justification for needing to get better economy and are willing to pay for it. But then you will have the honda insight, which will be cheaper, better looking, and not have the elitist badging tied on. so really its market will shrink to being the BMW of hybrids... except not as good.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
diddiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That $15000 buys a lot of gas (with 3L/100km difference in consumption, it would take 500 000 km of driving for you to save money at $1/L).
for some people it's not just about saving money on gas, but about using LESS gas and therefore helping the environment :>
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
TheWalrus

Quote:
for some people it's not just about saving money on gas, but about using LESS gas and therefore helping the environment :>

Exactly. If you really want what's best for the wallet you might go with a Honda Fit or something similarly small and light.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Now where is that smog to smug chemical equation...I have it somewhere here.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
first off, welcome to the site!
congrats on your new car purchase!

Quote:
WTF WHO CARES
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Wrong website/forum?
totally uncalled-for and inappropriate

Quote:
Chevy Volt actually looks pretty awesome, to be honest. But it's a good deal more, from what I hear, than something like the Prius. If you're not wealthy (and I dare say I'm not), I'm looking for relative efficiency bang for the buck when it comes to a daily driver.

Further disclosure, the new Camaro looks pretty sweet as well. Of course with this economy I'll probably not be looking for another new car any time in the near future.
being a gm guy, i'm glad to see you at least considered the camaro and volt. yes, the volt is probably gonna be more expensive, but the technology behind it is what the prius should've been using. as far as hybrid/electric cars go, i believe the volt will be a much better vehicle.

i don't know too much about other cars like these (because i've never been interested in them), so i can't really comment on the corolla, the fit, or others.

Quote:
thing is, the volt will be able to travel about 40 miles on a charge, using NO gas at all. keep the batteries charged , and you can drive around town without a single drop of liquid fuel. for drives longer than that, the only gas used is to run the generator that recharges the batteries. sounds like a fuel-efficient system to me

ps - i can't join this discussion without posting this. it's too funny!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
At least he isn't buying a Honda AZFUSION

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=azfusion

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Exactly. If you really want what's best for the wallet you might go with a Honda Fit or something similarly small and light.
Which is why I mentioned mining and the car carriers. For ever ship that we send to Japan loaded with cars (car carriers are not useful for anything else) they send us 20 or more. I've heard that each trip by one of these ships burns 1.5M liters of diesel fuel. Divide that by the number of cars on each one and the emissions per car are fairly significant.

Nickle mining is extremely energy intensive and there is a lot environmental damage (not just CO2 emissions) being done around Sudbury because of the increased nickle demand.

If you really want whats best for the environment, you have to look at the total picture, not purely CO2 tailpipe emissions.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
zebra totally uncalled for? What are you saying is this not a camaro forum?? To make your first post in a camaro forum about a prius and not mention the camaro at all. Even if it's in the other section. If I went to a prius forum and posted a post like his about the maro I would get the same response! Get real
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
zebra totally uncalled for? What are you saying is this not a camaro forum?? To make your first post in a camaro forum about a prius and not mention the camaro at all. Even if it's in the other section. If I went to a prius forum and posted a post like his about the maro I would get the same response! Get real
1st or 5000th post - he has a perfectly legitimate right to ask questions about a future car purchase. this might not be the best place to ask specific questions about a pruis, but that's not reason to come at him saying
Quote:
WTF WHO CARES
i never said this ain't a camaro site. he never said this was a prius site. he asked it in the 'other cars' section. i don't see the problem. you should probably check out this thread from the mods:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14547
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Its in the other cars area, unless he proves that he is a troll, it's allowed. And why is it that since we expect to get disrespected if we go elsewhere, you think its alright to disrespect others who come here? Why not try to be the good guys who are above all that crap? If you don't want to discuss a topic, then don't say anything. Let the moderators decide if a member actions are allowable.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
diddiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why not try to be the good guys who are above all that crap?
naaaaaah man that just makes too much sense!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed
Here is suggestion for you walrus: If you are REALLY concerned about saving fuel and the planet...and want to make yourself "feel good" about the whole mode of transport you decide upon....buy a freaking bicycle. Here's a little known fact for you...the Japanese translation for "Prius" is: "tree-hugger's feel-good farce-mobile".
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote