Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlius View Post
V6 EcoBoost = twin-turbos.

Twin-turbos on the Camaro V6 - if it could handle it without needing a reworking - should be able to put out better numbers than the LS3. But it would cost considerably more to produce, too.
It would definitely need to be reworked. And GM would need to give it a lot of boost. A big reason for why OEMs go with those turbo 6's is fuel economy. Cranking up the boost hurts fuel economy in gas engines. So while building a 430 hp TTV6 is possible, it isn't going to save you much gas over an LS3. Or weight. Or money (well, it definitely won't save you money).

And keep in mind that if a gen IV port injected 6.2L LS3 makes 426-436 hp ... imagine what a gen V direct injected 6.2L V8 would make (I'm thinking of a number, and it starts with 5 ... ). Little chance a turbocharged V6 could make that power and get the same efficiency. One or the other, just not both.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
spyderbuddy

Drives: v6 rs inferno orange/inferno orange
I dont know about anyone else, but I'm interested in the composit intake manifold and new fuel rails.

Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, Led Lighting, MBRP Exhaust tips, CNC Trottle Body, Trifecta Tune, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, Chevorlet door Sills, Trunk Black out and RX Catch Can/Breather Kit
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
JBuzzy11

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Most definitely.

Have you not seen the all aluminum Ford Ecoboost 3.5L Twin-Turbo V6? 365hp/420tq. A F150 4x2 in perfect conditions with the ecoboost can easily flirt with 30mpg. Makes ya wonder what that could do in the Camaro.
Im talking about 375 hp without turbos... It right around the corner.

Injen CAI, JBA headers, MRT V1.0 exhaust, Trifecta tune.
JBuzzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #29
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBUMBLEBEE View Post
-___________________________________- they really couldn't of put these in the 2011? assholes.
i feel you body, when onstar said they won't have app for 2010 camaros. so i'm just going to wait couple of years . pay this one of save money for the next good one. This is like buying a phone, then they come out with a better one every 6 months T_T. expensive toy
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #30
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
323 HP from the factory sounds like a nice amount.
Yes, it is,....but it still won't be enough for a stock v6 Camaro to beat any other competitive v6 out there like the 370z,....350z, or even the Mustang v6.

It's great that they improved the design, but it's not enough improvment for the customer to notice a difference. Now if Chevy pops up with 350-376hp V6,....now you have something serious on your hands. That would be something I'd give a big thumbs up for....not just 11 hp.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Yes, it is,....but it still won't be enough for a stock v6 Camaro to beat any other competitive v6 out there like the 370z,....350z, or even the Mustang v6.

It's great that they improved the design, but it's not enough improvment for the customer to notice a difference. Now if Chevy pops up with 350-376hp V6,....now you have something serious on your hands. That would be something I'd give a big thumbs up for....not just 11 hp.
I can't really figure out why people insist on comparing the V6 Camaro to the 370Z. Is it simply because they both have V6's? Because thats about the only thing they have in common. If you look at price an performance, it competes with the SS not the V6.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #32
brAnd7onX
Team L99

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I can't really figure out why people insist on comparing the V6 Camaro to the 370Z. Is it simply because they both have V6's? Because thats about the only thing they have in common. If you look at price an performance, it competes with the SS not the V6.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I always love watching cut-up engine videos...everything's so intricate...I can only imagine the work that went into perfecting (at the time) every little curve and crevice...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #34
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I am sure they've tested and tested and tested.......... But I can't help but feel that the head is being asked to do more within a smaller space resulting in quicker fatique and thus........... UH OH!!
My thoughts exactly, more heat in the aluminum head where it was previously absorbed in the cast iron exhaust.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

aluminum isn't a great conductor of heat, though...it should stay relatively isolated to the exhaust area...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #36
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
Mmmm, yes nice turbo or 2 ^.~ lol.

They don't boost the hp numbers a lot so they can increase it every year, and they know what that engine will max out on already, before they have to change something to gain more for the consumer. Most people see "ohhh they added 11hp etc, amazing, must have /drool" Then 2 years or so down the road, another 10 or so off the same setup, with very minimal changes mostly. That person will either trade it in for the "better" model as they see it, or sell and go buy a new one.

Look at Vince that found 13 more hp just from a tune, that's amazing! A lot can be had from these motors, it's a new car, just wait another year and the market will filled with things.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
aluminum isn't a great conductor of heat, though...it should stay relatively isolated to the exhaust area...
Actualy, it conducts heat pretty well. Far better than cast iron does.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #38
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
How many people who buy the V6 actually mod their Camaro to increase performance?

No... not starting something. I'm genuinely interested. Of the 20 or so people I know who own the V6 Camaro... 1 has actually modded theirs to increase HP and such. A couple have changed exhausts. The other 16 or 17 haven't changed a thing. If this is typical of V6'ers then no wonder they went this way. The vast majority stick with stock or cosmetic/exhaust changes.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #39
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Quote:
Actualy, it conducts heat pretty well. Far better than cast iron does.
MODERATOR WARZ!!!!

Though, seriously... I had PROPER HEADERS fabricated (*cough*bolt-ons-SUCK*cough*) and they're stainless steel. Everything from the collectors back is aluminum.

Click on the link in my sig for a sound clip of the results. !!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #40
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
How many people who buy the V6 actually mod their Camaro to increase performance?

No... not starting something. I'm genuinely interested. Of the 20 or so people I know who own the V6 Camaro... 1 has actually modded theirs to increase HP and such. A couple have changed exhausts. The other 16 or 17 haven't changed a thing. If this is typical of V6'ers then no wonder they went this way. The vast majority stick with stock or cosmetic/exhaust changes.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #41
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Well because it's that obvious, its a V6 engine, why else would I compare a v6based car vs another of the same type????????

Price vs performance? The 370z does cost some cash, but my first initial thoughts wouldn't be to compare it to an SS because stock vs stock there isn't anything to raise my eyebrow over, the SS wins. I understand your point about the 370z costing more than the V6 Camaro but I don't feel like that alone should stop a person from comparing two cars which are composed of the same type of engine, a nonturbo/nonsupercharged v6. Can I not compare "apples to apples" just because one apple cost more than the next???

I can see if this was a dodge SRT10 engine or something way outside it's class, but they're both v6 engines on different plateforms, why not. The Camaro is way heavier, the Z is light. If I'm not in the position to compare two v6 based engines what else am I suppose to compare the V6 Camaro's performance to? What other cars? A maxima? A dodge neon? A POS honda from 93? This is the same reason someone created the thread "what can the v6 Camaro beat anyway"?

All I'm saying is that I don't think Chevy nor it's fans should be going nuts simply because they found a way to add 11hp to it's V6 engine, sure it can be used as a selling point, but regarding performance 11hp is just not enough to put it ahead against the competition of it's class. Ford is releasing so many wonderful things for both the V6 Mustang and the 5.0 until it's ridiculous. Chevy really seems to be playing catch up. How many performance packages can we purchase from Chevy for the SS or V6???? lol.

Im not a Ford fan, but I admire they're business moves;they always seem to be offering more to the customers rather than just releasing a great car and leaving it high and dry until the next model shows up......(ZL1).
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #42
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
sucks for anyone that wanted to put headers on their 2012 v6...but is a very interesting design, cant wait to see how it works in the real world.
-----------------
Why would anyone want headers if not needed? For the output of this engine this new design will probably out perform a set of long tube headers when you factor in the weight along with the flow. The channels in the new exhaust seem to be very smooth for even flow. Now a high output 6.2 headers would I am sure be more effective.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #43
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
-----------------
Why would anyone want headers if not needed? For the output of this engine this new design will probably out perform a set of long tube headers when you factor in the weight along with the flow. The channels in the new exhaust seem to be very smooth for even flow. Now a high output 6.2 headers would I am sure be more effective.
Your kidding right? I would gladly take a set of aftermarket headers over some "new" factory exhaust. So a bump in 11hp is enough to justify not adding headers to that setup?
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #44
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
good for CAFE but not great news for performance.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #45
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuzzy11 View Post
unreal how far the V6 has come.. The V8's always had the power but I never thought we would see the V6 at this point, im guessing within 10 years we may see around 375hp from the V6!!!
-----

More like 4 years and 3 months.

Quote:
Your kidding right? I would gladly take a set of aftermarket headers over some "new" factory exhaust. So a bump in 11hp is enough to justify not adding headers to that setup?
-------------------
Depends on the actual end in performance. LT headers are what 20-25hp? How much is usable after the extra weight? Its a math question, I dont know and you don't know. I do know that GM is attempting to get the car into the 13s off the showroom floor.

Wow, do you know how much easier it will be to design and add a Turbo unit to this car with the extra space under the hood? Maybe a Turbo from GM is slated for 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
-----------------
Yeh, why not compare it to a jeep, they come with six cylinders too.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #46
shinzon
Sith Lord

Drives: 2014 1LE 2ss
hahahahha does anyone find it funny that they made a big deal on 13lbs when the car weights 3750lbs ? Interesting technology here, but I think if the General wants to make a performance V6 this really isnt the chasis to do it with. If the new v6 found its way intoa platform that was 3000-3250 lbs, oh my dear would things be fun~ if the v6-ers get decent milage now, imahge that -500or more lbs. That is where GM should look next. IMO

Previous Rides shout out:- 2010 2SS RS110kmi Traded in - 2000 z28 415 rwhp, 2004 GTO 380rwhp, 2000SS stock
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #47
shinzon
Sith Lord

Drives: 2014 1LE 2ss
Quote:

true dis is

Previous Rides shout out:- 2010 2SS RS110kmi Traded in - 2000 z28 415 rwhp, 2004 GTO 380rwhp, 2000SS stock
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #48
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
I dont know about anyone else, but I'm interested in the composit intake manifold and new fuel rails.
---------------------
The new fuel rails are for the E85 setup. They are higher pressure.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #49
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post
hahahahha does anyone find it funny that they made a big deal on 13lbs when the car weights 3750lbs ? Interesting technology here, but I think if the General wants to make a performance V6 this really isnt the chasis to do it with.
Not funny at all, here...you need to separate the engine from the vehicle to appreciate the ingenuity. Just because it's in a larger vehicle doesn't make the improvement any less significant. I predict this will help keep the engine on Ward's Ten Best list.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #50
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
My thoughts exactly, more heat in the aluminum head where it was previously absorbed in the cast iron exhaust.
----------------
They can't afford to F this up, other wise will be buying Mustangs and Challengers....like I said they can't afford to F it up.

Quote:

------------------------------
Well I could ask how many people got Manual trans vs. Auto. No I am not starting anything, just asking.

Quote:

------------

Probably 95% of V6 and V8 owners cars are still under warranty and cant do much to them without messing with warranty. I guaranty that when the warranties run out you will see all types of radical mods happening. My car is under warranty and I am not even considering a tune until the warranty runs out. I want LT headers but not at the expense of my warranty.

Quote:
Well because it's that obvious, its a V6 engine, why else would I compare a v6based car vs another of the same type????????

Price vs performance? The 370z does cost some cash, but my first initial thoughts wouldn't be to compare it to an SS because stock vs stock there isn't anything to raise my eyebrow over, the SS wins. I understand your point about the 370z costing more than the V6 Camaro but I don't feel like that alone should stop a person from comparing two cars which are composed of the same type of engine, a nonturbo/nonsupercharged v6. Can I not compare "apples to apples" just because one apple cost more than the next???

I can see if this was a dodge SRT10 engine or something way outside it's class, but they're both v6 engines on different plateforms, why not. The Camaro is way heavier, the Z is light. If I'm not in the position to compare two v6 based engines what else am I suppose to compare the V6 Camaro's performance to? What other cars? A maxima? A dodge neon? A POS honda from 93? This is the same reason someone created the thread "what can the v6 Camaro beat anyway"?

All I'm saying is that I don't think Chevy nor it's fans should be going nuts simply because they found a way to add 11hp to it's V6 engine, sure it can be used as a selling point, but regarding performance 11hp is just not enough to put it ahead against the competition of it's class. Ford is releasing so many wonderful things for both the V6 Mustang and the 5.0 until it's ridiculous. Chevy really seems to be playing catch up. How many performance packages can we purchase from Chevy for the SS or V6???? lol.

Im not a Ford fan, but I admire they're business moves;they always seem to be offering more to the customers rather than just releasing a great car and leaving it high and dry until the next model shows up......(ZL1).
-------------

Why not compare it to a Porsce? They run 6 cyl.