Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Express96

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Aftermarket exhaust causing a stain on my paint

I need help. I put an aftermarket exhaust on my car a little less than a year ago, and I'm starting to see a stain on the paint above and to the side of the tips. I have a yellow camaro and you can see where some of the black exhaust residue is staying on the paint. I tried claying the area and it took some of it off but not all, is there a product that I can use that will remove this. I only use Adams products so maybe Dylan or Junkman can give me some suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Is it exhaust soot or discoloration from heat you're dealing with?

Either problem would likely be the result of the tips being installed too shallow or too close to the body panels compared to the stock locations.

Got a picture you can share so we can see what you're dealing with??
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Express96

Soot, it's not from heat. The tips stick out farther than the stock and I always get black soot in that area. I try to wash the car at the very least every couple of weeks and get it off, but you can still see where it was if you get close and look. I tried to take some pictures but you can't really see it in them.

Last edited by Express96; 05-16-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Express96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Nick@Adams

Thats good, soot isn't a big deal. A pain in the butt, but not hard to remove.

Do your usual detail steps:

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax or Seal

and the area should be good to go... prevention will then be the biggest job for you. Using waterless wash OFTEN to knock down even a small amount of it so it doesn't buildup and applying wax or sealant to that area about 1.5-2x more frequently than you do the rest of the car will help.

Did you have the car tuned after the exhaust was put on? Seems unusual that you'd have MORE soot buildup with the tips being out further.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Express96

No.. no tune, but I noticed right away that I was getting more black in that area than with the stock exhaust. I just figured it came with changing out the exhaust. I also did a lot of research on the site before I changed the exhaust and most people said you didn't need a tune. I will give it a good cleaning this weekend...Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

Only reason I asked is when I had my traiblazer SS tuned it had a similar issue... went back in to tweak the tune a little more and turned out it was running a little rich so thats presumably why I was getting some extra soot, tweaked the tune and it went away.