Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
10camaross

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs 6spd manual
Drag Suspension???

What have you guys been doing suspension wise for the drag strip?? I thought about getting some Pfadt coilovers but i just wanted to see what everyone was doing to hook up and get better 60s at the track
10camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
depending how much you want to spend you can go with the pedders drag pack
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
LS7 427
10.17 @ 140.2 mph

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
I did Pfadt - adjustable coilovers, diff bushings, solid subframe bushings, sway bars and trailing arms. No wheel hop at all and 60' went from 2.1 to 1.7 sec.

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
The very first thing that needs to be addressed is the wheelhop. Not only will it kill traction but it's damaging to the driveline as well. The best two mods for controlling wheelhop are Trailing Arms and Rear Cradle (Subframe) bushings. Once wheelhop is under control, traction is a matter of tread compound and weight transfer. This new Camaro isn't too bad at transferring weight once a good tire is used to initiate traction. We run consistent 10.50's (1.52 60 ft.) in our Project car using the factory shocks and drag radials. Granted, adjustable damping will definitely aid in weight transfer and is never a bad thing, it's just not typically necesarry for a first mod. Basically, once wheel hop is under control, tires are the next most important upgrade...

Last edited by BMR guy; 05-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Besides trailing arm my cars suspension in all stock. My car has no trouble at the track.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
Love my BMR stuff.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Depending on how serious you want to get with drag racing we offer 2 different coilovers to suit your needs. Our current adjustable coilovers were designed as a great all around coilover solution. With 20 individual damper adjustments you can set the car up very soft for drag racing to promote weight transfer, a little stiffer for a comfortable street ride, and aggressive for use at autox or the race track. For drivers not looking for compromises that come with drag specific suspension packages, we would recommend these coilovers.

Along with our classic coilovers, we now offer a drag specific package. We worked with a local Camaro drag racer at Rocky Mountain Raceway who wanted to wanted a no compromises drag package that would really allow him to hook up. The package includes springs that are longer and softer in the front than stock to allow the front end to lift on acceleration for weight transfer, along with damping rates optimized for drag racing. The drag coilovers are also 20 way adjustable, it's stiffest setting being a little softer than the stock ride. Here is a video we put together showing the local racer cutting a 1.465 60' on drag radials.

Supporting modifications are also key to keeping wheel hop down. Trailing arms, spherical subframe bushings, differential bushings are all key components that should also be addressed when looking at the overall performance for drag racing.

We've also got something new coming out that will be great for everything from trailered drag cars, to road race Camaro's. here is a sneak peek.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
We've also got something new coming out that will be great for everything from trailered drag cars, to road race Camaro's. here is a sneak peek.
Crap....right after I just bought my Coilovers too....just my luck!!!
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Depending on how serious you want to get ...
This and what your budget is are two questions that are crucial. No matter the answers, priority number one is going to be locking in your rear sub frame.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
The Lingenfelter Black Pig is putting down ridiculous amounts of RWHP and Torque. Controlling all that LPE power is not easy. Working with Graham and his crew we have jointly developed an adjustable drag coilover system. How well does it work? In the early stages of development the results were excellant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Behan View Post
All,
The best mph was the 152.33, the next best was 152.28. The best 60 ft was 1.412 and I would like to thank Justice Pete for our shocks!!
More to come!!

Best Regards

Graham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh@lpe View Post
Here are more complete details on the car as it ran that day.

Lingenfelter LS9 2010 Camaro SS drag car specifications (as of 9/3/2010)
Other notes:
  • VP Motorsports 109 unleaded race fuel
  • Functioning (and stock) radio
  • Functioning (and stock) air conditioning
  • 2000 rpm launch setting on 2-step
  • Nitrous triggered at roughly 4000 rpm
We have continued to work with LPE on the development of the Drag Specific kit to meet Lingenfelters expectations.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Here is a picture of one of our front drag coilovers side by side with our street front coilovers. You can see there is a big difference in the spring we use, that really allows the front end to lift and the rear end to plant.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Here is the million dollar question, should I lower my car or leave it stock height it if I want to get better drag times
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
It really depends on how much power you are making to the rear tires. I installed BMR toe rods and track arms and I am pulling 1.8's on the stock tires. I DO NEED better tires though, I am losing traction in second gear and more than likely from the start even though I don't "feel" any loss but I have now wheel hop!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Sorry, NO WHEEL HOP NOW!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Besides trailing arm my cars suspension in all stock. My car has no trouble at the track.
^^^^ This^^^^ the fastest 60' car we have here 1.54 is totally stock with only the JRE posi mod... It's an auto of course... Lowered cars have problems because they don't squat enough on launch so do coilover if you do lower it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Here is the million dollar question, should I lower my car or leave it stock height it if I want to get better drag times
The easiest way to improve your drag times is to get a good strip alignment. Keeping your tire contact patch square to the track is mission critical. The lower you go, the more difficult it is to dial out negative camber. The best drag alignment will have your rear cambers set to zero or a touch positive so when you car squats on launch you have optimal contact between the tire and the track.

For lowered vehicles, you'll want to use Pedders extended range rear camber eccentrics. With the extended range camber bolts you'll get closer to the optimal setup.

While we are talking about drag launches we should talk about the IRS bushes. Keeping the IRS secure under hard launches become more of a challenge as you increase RWHP RWTQ and use drag radials or slicks. They all increase load and increase the movement of the IRS. Movement in the IRS equates to lost energy and slower times.

It always comes back to the foundation of the ZETA II. Sub-frame bush inserts are a must have for even the most casual drag racer. As the RWHP and tires improve you should be moving up to full sub-frame bushes and at the top of the food chain Pedders Delrin for the Street EP1201HDs. Our testing and experience with some custom GM vehicles confirm what we knew at first glance -- the next most critical bushes are in the toe links. Replacing the toe link bushes with Pedders EP7323 bushes brings an significant increase in stability under acceleration load.

Moving deeper into the IRS we would change out the differential bushes going straight to the EP1167HD. Your OE differential is now rock steady.

A monster rear sway bar is the next step. The Pedders MONSTER 32mm bar is the strongest rear bar available for the ZETA II 5th Gen. Using our 32mm bar help evenly distribute load for the best drag launches possible is a 5th Gen.

LPE stands alone as the drag racing experts in the GM world. They have taken the best of Pedders and put the Lingenfelter touch to it for the hardest core drag racers with ridiculous amounts of power. I'll let the Crew from LPE post up more details.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
^^^^ This^^^^ the fastest 60' car we have here 1.54 is totally stock with only the JRE posi mod... It's an auto of course... Lowered cars have problems because they don't squat enough on launch so do coilover if you do lower it.
1.483, stick

Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
1.483, stick
... But that car doesn't have stock suspension... It also doesn't have Seats, AC etc, etc, etc... and not a daily driver...

Last edited by mlee; 05-26-2011 at 12:44 PM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
1.653. Bolt-ons, 3200 TC, DR's. L99/A6.

Just BMR Trailing Arms. No wheelhop. No wheelspin.

I do enjoy reading from all the gang: Pedders, Pfadt, BMR. Keep the knowledge coming.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
BMR guy

Both the 1.52 and the 1.48 listed above were done on drag slicks. One has minimal suspension mods (trailing arms) and the other has everything you could throw at it. Don't get me wrong, both cars are very respectable, I just want people to realize the difference. The BMR car runs 1.54-1.56 consistently at 3 separate tracks and it is doing this on DOT approved Drag radials (not slicks) and stock struts/shocks. Consistency is definitely key when drag racing....
Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10camaross View Post
What have you guys been doing suspension wise for the drag strip?? I thought about getting some Pfadt coilovers but i just wanted to see what everyone was doing to hook up and get better 60s at the track
You are thinking in the right direction with Pfadt, they have been a essential partner in our progression towards the all out IRS drag record, and they will continue to help our efforts. We currently have their drag suspension coil over (among everything else) on our Corvette (here is a few videos of the car launching). The car currently runs 7.75 at 183 mph with 1.2x 60' times.

Now its pretty easy after witnessing the success we have that "the proof is in the pudding"

I have been involved with watching and in conversation about their drag specific coil overs, let me tell you they are 100% engineered to work, and work very well.

Pfadt offers a drag specific valved damper ( They are alone in this) and drag specific springs to offer the community to create ideal drag launch dynamics. If you are interested I would also like to recommend looking at their complete engineered packages. For example Pfadt's drag package 2. Note that Pfadt has the strongest rear sway bar at 35mm (the 32mm bar... it is not the strongest I can tell you this...). That package is currently being installed on one of our 1100 hp Twin turbo Camaros !

More info on the Drag two package here http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/213

So in summary, Pfadt is your best performing ENGINEERED option!

If you have further questions, I am open to help

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
BMR guy

Brandon, that Vette is BADASS! It was by far the funnest car to watch at the LSX shootout in Bradenton. The coolest thing about it is how stock it looks from the outside.

Ok, enough drooling, just wanted to point out a possible error in your post since you may not be aware of our new rear sway bar. BMR's new Xtreme Anti-roll Bar (XSB004) for the Camaro is also 35mm so, depending on the wall thickness and lever arm lengths, we may actually be stiffer

The XSB004 ranges in rate from 2186 lbs/in - 3614 lbs/in depending on which hole you use...

Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Pedders 32mm bar is solid.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #24
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
Brandon, that Vette is BADASS! It was by far the funnest car to watch at the LSX shootout in Bradenton. The coolest thing about it is how stock it looks from the outside.

Ok, enough drooling, just wanted to point out a possible error in your post since you may not be aware of our new rear sway bar. BMR's new Xtreme Anti-roll Bar (XSB004) for the Camaro is also 35mm so, depending on the wall thickness and lever arm lengths, we may actually be stiffer

The XSB004 ranges in rate from 2186 lbs/in - 3614 lbs/in depending on which hole you use...

We appreciate it, and you may in fact be right about your bar, and in all honesty I was unaware (as you mentioned) that was available now, very cool!
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
i have been a 1.53 on DR with less power then the cars mentioned above, and plenty of 1.54's all stock suspension. i would like to buy some of these better parts mentioned but i need someone to step up and show real world results. Oh yea i'm lowered 1"
94guy is online now   Reply With Quote