Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #307
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
does anyone have a good method of cleaning the plasti dip and what to use?
Good question. I'll be cleaning my rims for the first time when I get home.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #308
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
I just use soap and water

Fastest camaro in OKC
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #309
JIGSAW

Drives: 2010 Camaro
has anyone used anything that has damaged it like detailer spray?
JIGSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #310
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
has anyone used anything that has damaged it like detailer spray?
I believe bug and tar remover pretty much makes it melt away.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #311
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
Okay so I dipped my taillight bezels yesterday (posted pics in the dedicated thread about that). I'm going with a red w/ black accents theme and was planning on replacing the "CAMARO" fender lettering and the SS badges with black replacements. I didn't want to spend $300 on the aluminum ones so I ordered plastic ones but am not super psyched with the quality of them (they look spot on but are very obviously plasticky).

So I'm going to try Plasti Dip before yanking off any badges. Can someone verify if my plan of attack is right?

1. Mask off a box around the badging and leave an area of paint exposed.
2. Clean the badges with alcohol.
3. Spray the badging according to the instructions here.
4. Wait for the Plasti Dip to dry and remove the masking.
5. Peel off the overspray from the paint (using something like a toothpick to get in between the crevices.

I'm assuming that the tiny gap at the edge of the badge that the double-stick tape creates will cause the overspray not to peel off onto the badge itself. Do I have this right?
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #312
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-b View Post
Okay so I dipped my taillight bezels yesterday (posted pics in the dedicated thread about that). I'm going with a red w/ black accents theme and was planning on replacing the "CAMARO" fender lettering and the SS badges with black replacements. I didn't want to spend $300 on the aluminum ones so I ordered plastic ones but am not super psyched with the quality of them (they look spot on but are very obviously plasticky).

So I'm going to try Plasti Dip before yanking off any badges. Can someone verify if my plan of attack is right?

5. Peel off the overspray from the paint (using something like a toothpick to get in between the crevices.

I'm assuming that the tiny gap at the edge of the badge that the double-stick tape creates will cause the overspray not to peel off onto the badge itself. Do I have this right?

Yep, thats right. It is really easy to do, did both of mine in 15 mins.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #313
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:

Clean once again thoroughly with water or the alcohol left on them will make it bubble!!!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.011300,-84.370588
Sidewayz...ALWAYZ
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #314
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
I believe bug and tar remover pretty much makes it melt away.
+ 1 I did that once and I almost ended up screwing up the application. DO NOT USE stuff like the regular tire cleaners (e.g. Black Magic etc) as they will eat into the plastidip.

I only use Adams VRT which is a Vinyl and rubber tire dressing. Mine were plastidipped almost a year ago and this is how it looks like now.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #315
Ben Thur

Drives: 2010 Silver 1LT/RS
Quote:
I just use soap and water
Id say just use car wash and soap- other threads have been saying that. Can even power wash without removing
Ben Thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #316
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:

my suggestion, to prevent plasti dipping the center of the letters and the car, like inside the "A"'s/"O"'s/etc, try using a toothpick and putting some vaseline in there, so when you are done, it should just wipe off with some q-tips.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #317
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSSian View Post
my suggestion, to prevent plasti dipping the center of the letters and the car, like inside the "A"'s/"O"'s/etc, try using a toothpick and putting some vaseline in there, so when you are done, it should just wipe off with some q-tips.
I thought about that but you'd need some pretty serious precision not to get any on the letters themselves. Iif you do, it won't stick and you'll find out the hard way later.

I just finished and peeling the center parts wasn't that hard. I messed up and took a little bit off the outer edge of one of the Os though. I'll try to fix it tomorrow but I'm not sure how I'm gonna just do that one letter. Maybe I'll just redo the whole thing, it's pretty easy to do.
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #318
Conquest3.0

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2SS/RS
Finally hopped on board with this project after lurking this thread for months...here's my progress from the week.

The key to crisp lettering is to leave yourself a square area around. The letters will take care of the cutting when you pull the plastidip. For the insides, just use a toothpick to pick a little hole, then pull. The letters will cut and do the rest.

White spots here were just dust.

Going to take a stab at the side gills, LS7 blackout and rims this weekend. Maybe pull my factory whites and go with black hood spears. Walk with me Jesus...

Last edited by Conquest3.0; 05-18-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Conquest3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #319
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Looks awesome conquest! I always wondered how to do the SS and Camaro well. The way you put it makes sense.

By the way everyone, I washed my rims and I found 2 thing.

1. They stand up to light scrubbing well. The entire time I didn't make any tears or scuff the plastidip.
2. Plastidip makes it difficult to see the dirt in the first place. Good for when you haven't washed your camaro, BAD for when you're in the middle of washing it.

Also, I recommend NOT to get tire wet on the plastidip. I got a little on there, then it stayed that "wet" color in places. So I decided to put it all over the wheel. It went fine 'till it collected in one of the corners. I went to smear it with a rag and tore a small part of the plastidip.

I think the tire wet made the plastidip soft, because several other areas got nicked too.

Well, at any rate I'm going to be redoing them soon along with powder coating or painting my calipers. Just thought I'd throw that piece of advice out there!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #320
cliffordj
69 clone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I tried plasti-dip for the first time on my quarter moldings. They came black already but being on the car for almost a year, some of the paint was scratched off due to rocks hitting it. The paint that was on there was so thin, you could scratch it with your fingernail. So I taped off the chrome part and painted the black part, using plasti-dip. I wish I would have done this sooner. It looks really really good!! I just hope that this is more durable then that thin stuff that was on there. It seems like it. There going back on the car tomorrow.

I think I may do my taillight bezels next. Just a FYI take the tape off while its still wet to keep it from peeling off with the tape. Thats something I didn't do the first time, so I had to peel it off and spray it again. The first pic was from when i waited for it to dry.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #321
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Looks great!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #322
martin105

Drives: White 2012 camaro ss
I just got done doing my Bezels last night. I got a couple of cans so I plan to do my SS and camaro emblems. Thanks conquest for the good idea. I was about to go outside and take them off.
Heres what my bezels look like.
Attached Images

2012 White 2ss/RS
20% tint
martin105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #323
Conquest3.0

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2SS/RS
Welp...another Sunday in the bag, another plastidip adventure...

I ended up trying my hand at the LS7 Blackout. Didn't work out as I didnt load up on the coats around the lines enough and do a quick enough pull. I think I'm going to have another go at it tonight.

The good thing is, I was able to paint my tail bezels and Chevy Logo in the process and even an unexpected tail light blackout that actually shows light...

I ended up deciding to scrap everything and started to remove the plastidip on the far right light, then I thought to check out how it looked blacked out. It ended up working so I tried to fill in the hole I made, but didn't work. No biggie, I'm respraying for the Blackout anyway..but you can see the fill in I tried...

Conquest3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote