Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #51
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbumbblebee View Post
Can you spray paint over plastic dip?
I actually wasn't sure of this when I first read it. But I asked around and searched the internets. The answer is really two-fold.

Yes, as plasti-dip hardens into a plastic you can *technically* paint over it. I say *technically* because their is the possibility of the paint cracking, etc etc. But, you are still able to peel off the plasti dip. The only downside is that it does make the removal a lot harder. But still possible. Downside is I don't know how you would remove it. From what I read you would still just do the peel it off with your hands method. But, you just need to find a way to chip/break the paint off first.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #52
derek19
 
derek19's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 184
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I know the site says won't crack, melt, blah blah blah in temperatures between -30 to 200 degrees. I live in memphis and it get f'ing hot in the summer. Does anyone think the heat will be an issue?
derek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #53
derek19
 
derek19's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 184
Do ya'll think black rims would look right with the color of my car? My car is IBM with white stripes down the middle.
derek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #54
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek19 View Post
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I know the site says won't crack, melt, blah blah blah in temperatures between -30 to 200 degrees. I live in memphis and it get f'ing hot in the summer. Does anyone think the heat will be an issue?
If you paint it in a slightly controlled enviorment you should be fine. Basically, when you paint plasti-dip it is the same as any other spray paint/painting process.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #55
derek19
 
derek19's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
If you paint it in a slightly controlled enviorment you should be fine. Basically, when you paint plasti-dip it is the same as any other spray paint/painting process.
I'm not necessarily worried about when applying it, i'm more worried after its on. It almost averages 95 degrees here in memphis during the summer and i'm just worried about it peeling or cracking because of the constant heat.
derek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #56
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek19 View Post
I'm not necessarily worried about when applying it, i'm more worried after its on. It almost averages 95 degrees here in memphis during the summer and i'm just worried about it peeling or cracking because of the constant heat.
Well I read up a bit more on plasti-dip and checked out its certification, etc etc. Basically the temperature range of -30 to 200 is for plasti-dip in its solid (hardened) form. So it would take a pretty hot day to get the plasti-dip to a high enough temp that the chemical bond structure would break up (the bond structure is what gives plasti-dip the tough/rubberly/plastic feel to it. So in short, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the heat.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #57
derek19
 
derek19's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Well I read up a bit more on plasti-dip and checked out its certification, etc etc. Basically the temperature range of -30 to 200 is for plasti-dip in its solid (hardened) form. So it would take a pretty hot day to get the plasti-dip to a high enough temp that the chemical bond structure would break up (the bond structure is what gives plasti-dip the tough/rubberly/plastic feel to it. So in short, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the heat.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Also, your car looks good. Love the lights.
derek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #58
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag
 
destroyerofu2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: elkhart indiana
Posts: 778
Well I did some more plasti sergery

did the top and bottom of the front lip
Name:  plastifront.jpg
Views: 2991
Size:  108.4 KB

did the lower side and inset body line
(not sure if i like the inset body line yet)
Name:  plastifs.jpg
Views: 2961
Size:  103.9 KB
Name:  plastifrontside.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  109.4 KB

lower side all the way around
Name:  plastiside.jpg
Views: 2959
Size:  106.8 KB
cant really tell from pictures but about the lower 2-3 inches is black on the sides from front to rear
Name:  plastisr.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  90.6 KB
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger
And like destoryerofu2 said, WOT should be a moment of silence...
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #59
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag
 
destroyerofu2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: elkhart indiana
Posts: 778
one more
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger
And like destoryerofu2 said, WOT should be a moment of silence...
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #60
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast
 
YOUNGnRECKLESS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR LS3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,400
wow, props for tryin everything out! looks really good. time well spent for sure. im a fan of plstidip, but have yet to venture into the body painting realm with it. im dying to do the ls7 style blackouts, but now i may try plastidip first to see how i like it, then pro paint
__________________
YOUNGnRECKLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #61
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag
 
destroyerofu2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: elkhart indiana
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
wow, props for tryin everything out! looks really good. time well spent for sure. im a fan of plstidip, but have yet to venture into the body painting realm with it. im dying to do the ls7 style blackouts, but now i may try plastidip first to see how i like it, then pro paint

its real easy to work with i am loving it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger
And like destoryerofu2 said, WOT should be a moment of silence...
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #62
TonyNo

 
TonyNo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 980
destroyerofu2: Any tips on masking with this stuff?
__________________
TonyNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #63
pyledrivr
SW
 
pyledrivr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro Summit White
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 311
I plasti-dip my trunk today. I thought it turned out really nice. PIA taping around the bowtie ended up doing it twice. I didn't like the edges first time.
Attached Images
  
__________________

2011 Summit White LS
pyledrivr@hotmail.com
pyledrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #64
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag
 
destroyerofu2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: elkhart indiana
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
destroyerofu2: Any tips on masking with this stuff?

i am just using masking tape 2" and 1/4"(for the bends) and trash bags

I tape it all off with desired shape add cut up trash bags to surrounding area and,

if small area spray light coat give about 30 seconds, then heavier coat, 30 seconds and another heavy coat, then pull tape as quick as possable.

if big area spray light coat starting at one side working way to other side (long ways), as soon as done with that coat start next coat heavy same spray patern(no waiting), as soon that is done, do next coat heavy making sure to cover everything, then pull tape as quick as possable


the key is to pull the tape and not let it dry to the tape.

dont be worried if you have some runs or a few ruff edges, a few min after you pull tape then check the edges for runs and just rub them off

TIP: when rubbing off the ruff edges and runs a plastick decal squige is good to put on your line(using the pointy part to mark your line and rubbing below the squige), then you dont have to worry about rubing into the part you want to keep.

I have to do the other side of the car tonight (just did one side to see if i liked it) so i will tke pictures and post those up.

heres the side i already did

sorry for the fingers it was bright out
Attached Images
   
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger
And like destoryerofu2 said, WOT should be a moment of silence...
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #65
seddon

 
seddon's Avatar
 
Drives: RED JEWEL 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 984
any pics of the tail light bezel using plastic dip
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #66
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
camaro_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Emerald Coast
Posts: 3,390
Looks bada** man! Well done!
__________________
-White Mary Jane....build thread [COTW 6/11/12] :

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #67
rareslick
 
rareslick's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: longview
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
any pics of the tail light bezel using plastic dip
rareslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #68
seddon

 
seddon's Avatar
 
Drives: RED JEWEL 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 984
thanks
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #69
mydreamcar
My Dream Car
 
mydreamcar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: staten island
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyledrivr View Post
I plasti-dip my trunk today. I thought it turned out really nice. PIA taping around the bowtie ended up doing it twice. I didn't like the edges first time.
That is nice but I am too much of a chicken shit to try that out
__________________
CAI intake/ADM Scoop/Stainless Power Headers/Doug Thorley Catback Exhaust/Tuned by ECS. 428hp/426tq
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #70
shevyman

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerofu2 View Post
one more
ok my question to you is what kind of tape did you use to get the lines you wanted? second how long did you wait to peel the tape off?

cause for me all i had at the moment was painters blue tape. so i worked with it and got the lines i wanted on my car. i did three layers of plasti dip. about 30 mins or more in between layers like the can said. but here is where i messed up. i waited maybe 2 hours or and a half hours and then went and tried to remove the tape. well the paint was stuck to the tape and it peeled the plasti dip. any advice? should i have let it sit over night?

ok i just saw your last post.. so you used the trash bags to protect your paint right? not to help with the lines. so i guess do my three layers right away and then tear off the tape asap.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #71
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
ok my question to you is what kind of tape did you use to get the lines you wanted? second how long did you wait to peel the tape off?

cause for me all i had at the moment was painters blue tape. so i worked with it and got the lines i wanted on my car. i did three layers of plasti dip. about 30 mins or more in between layers like the can said. but here is where i messed up. i waited maybe 2 hours or and a half hours and then went and tried to remove the tape. well the paint was stuck to the tape and it peeled the plasti dip. any advice? should i have let it sit over night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
17. Take the tape off while the plasti-dip is still wet. AKA finish your last coat and then imediately peel the tape off. This will prevent the plasti-dip from peeling off when you take the tape off an hour or so later.
Sorry I wasn't able to help you with this before you dipped the stuff.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #72
shevyman

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: california
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Sorry I wasn't able to help you with this before you dipped the stuff.
its ok. it was not your fault. its all about trial and error. now i know. lol good thing i bought 2 cans. but now that i made a mistake i need to get another one so i can finish the job. doing front and rear.. when done will post pics.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #73
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
its ok. it was not your fault. its all about trial and error. now i know. lol good thing i bought 2 cans. but now that i made a mistake i need to get another one so i can finish the job. doing front and rear.. when done will post pics.
Cool can't wait
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #74
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13
 
IOM Black Diamond's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pleasant Hill, Or
Posts: 2,491
Thanks for the info.
__________________
IOM Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #75
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag
 
destroyerofu2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: elkhart indiana
Posts: 778
sorry i was away for a while

Account Suspended


but back now

yes pull tape asap

over spray comes right off after its dry
Name:  photopaint.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  249.5 KB

once i get everything where i want it i will have it "painted" right

door handles, mirror, gas cap, bumper,


thinking of adding another stripe to it

Name:  photopaintSHOP.jpg
Views: 2831
Size:  251.1 KB
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger
And like destoryerofu2 said, WOT should be a moment of silence...
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so going to plasti dip tomorrow Allan Hernandez Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 39 05-17-2011 03:02 PM
Plasti dip bezels puertoricanfont Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 53 03-03-2011 04:43 PM
Those that have used Plasti Dip on rims KybheSS Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 0 01-28-2011 04:47 AM
Plasti dip LosXC451 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 9 09-20-2010 08:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.