Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #69
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyledrivr View Post
I plasti-dip my trunk today. I thought it turned out really nice. PIA taping around the bowtie ended up doing it twice. I didn't like the edges first time.
That is nice but I am too much of a chicken shit to try that out
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #70
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerofu2 View Post
one more
ok my question to you is what kind of tape did you use to get the lines you wanted? second how long did you wait to peel the tape off?

cause for me all i had at the moment was painters blue tape. so i worked with it and got the lines i wanted on my car. i did three layers of plasti dip. about 30 mins or more in between layers like the can said. but here is where i messed up. i waited maybe 2 hours or and a half hours and then went and tried to remove the tape. well the paint was stuck to the tape and it peeled the plasti dip. any advice? should i have let it sit over night?

ok i just saw your last post.. so you used the trash bags to protect your paint right? not to help with the lines. so i guess do my three layers right away and then tear off the tape asap.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #71
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
ok my question to you is what kind of tape did you use to get the lines you wanted? second how long did you wait to peel the tape off?

cause for me all i had at the moment was painters blue tape. so i worked with it and got the lines i wanted on my car. i did three layers of plasti dip. about 30 mins or more in between layers like the can said. but here is where i messed up. i waited maybe 2 hours or and a half hours and then went and tried to remove the tape. well the paint was stuck to the tape and it peeled the plasti dip. any advice? should i have let it sit over night?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
17. Take the tape off while the plasti-dip is still wet. AKA finish your last coat and then imediately peel the tape off. This will prevent the plasti-dip from peeling off when you take the tape off an hour or so later.
Sorry I wasn't able to help you with this before you dipped the stuff.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #72
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Sorry I wasn't able to help you with this before you dipped the stuff.
its ok. it was not your fault. its all about trial and error. now i know. lol good thing i bought 2 cans. but now that i made a mistake i need to get another one so i can finish the job. doing front and rear.. when done will post pics.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #73
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
its ok. it was not your fault. its all about trial and error. now i know. lol good thing i bought 2 cans. but now that i made a mistake i need to get another one so i can finish the job. doing front and rear.. when done will post pics.
Cool can't wait
Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #74
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13

Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #75
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
sorry i was away for a while

Account Suspended

but back now

yes pull tape asap

over spray comes right off after its dry
Name:  photopaint.jpg
Views: 3106
Size:  249.5 KB

once i get everything where i want it i will have it "painted" right

door handles, mirror, gas cap, bumper,

thinking of adding another stripe to it

Name:  photopaintSHOP.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  251.1 KB
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #76
camaro125

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2ss/rs
When I get time I'm going to do the ls7 rear blackout, bezels, and either hood spears, or leaving the raised part of the hood white and plasti-dipping the rest of the hood. Not sure but I used this on my rims on the last camaro, so I feel comfortable using it for the ls7 blackout. I will deff post pics when its done
camaro125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #77
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
stieger: what do you mean when you said you don't recommend the wheels as it would disintegrate over time?
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #78
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
stieger: what do you mean when you said you don't recommend the wheels as it would disintegrate over time?
Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I should rephrase it. What I mean by "disintegrate over time" is that through driving your car the plasti dip will get hit/scraped/etc and might start to show spots where it has been ripped (is that the right word?). What I was getting at is that you may have to redo your wheels after say a year or so. That's all I was getting at with it.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #79
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I should rephrase it. What I mean by "disintegrate over time" is that through driving your car the plasti dip will get hit/scraped/etc and might start to show spots where it has been ripped (is that the right word?). What I was getting at is that you may have to redo your wheels after say a year or so. That's all I was getting at with it.
Ah ok. See in my head I was thinking of all the wheels that people had been plastidipped turning into molten metal... maybe I've been watching to much TV lately hahaaha
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #80
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Ah ok. See in my head I was thinking of all the wheels that people had been plastidipped turning into molten metal... maybe I've been watching to much TV lately hahaaha

lol wheels just melting on the freeway.. omg carmegeddon
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #81
jpelton37

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/SS Inferno Orange
Send a message via Yahoo to jpelton37
did my front and rear of the car.
Again, peeling off when dip is wet is the key to a good edge.
Attached Images

Vararam / VMAX Throttle Body / SLP Long tubes with High Flows / Tune / Muffler Delete w/5" tips / Hurst Short Shifter / Havoc Spoiler and Diffuser / Rx Catch Can with Breather/ Various Visual Upgrades / In Process of Complete BMR Suspension Upgrade (1.4" lowering springs installed) / 21" Wheels

"Those who say it cannot be done, should stop interrupting those of us doing it..."
jpelton37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #82
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Ugh I need to redo my LS7 trunk black out. I didn't lay down a perfect final coat so some parts look like they were stroked by a paint brush with clear coat. Plus when I was washiong my car I slipped and ran the towel too quickly along the edge and part of it peeled a little. Getting the masking tape to line up the upward facing edges around the lights was a pain especially around the curves.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #83
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Here's my trunk.

I also did the front bumper.

I plan to plasti-dip my spoiler, roof and do the lower part of the diffuser between the bezels. Once I get my race ramps I'll do my rims.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #84
1badtie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
what is plati dip exactly??

MODS-

Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb

Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #85
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
what is plati dip exactly??
It's a rubber polymer that is a liquid until it is exposed to air for a long period of time. At which point it becomes a very durable and hard rubber. It can be peeled off without hurting the material underneath. It comes in a spray can and in a dippable can.