Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

View Poll Results: Do you want the rear quarter windows to roll down?
YES!!! I don't mind a little extra weight or $$$ to allow for all windows to roll down. 23 74.19%
No. I don't mind having them "fixed" in place to save on $$$ and weight. 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Mungo
 
Drives: trans am
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: suffolk
Posts: 363
Windows question

I asked this question before and recieved an answer, but I'm still going to throw it out again. The concept pictures that I've attached show the concept with all the windows up and all of the windows down. Since this was a concept, how did they do it? Since we are further along in the development of the production car, is there any info as to whether the rear windows will go down like the original coupe?

Name:  camaro windosup.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  camarowindodwn.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  77.8 KB


Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
i hope they do. it looks sick!
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've also seen pics where the "Front" Windows are open, but the "rear" is closed. So obviously, they're separated. I'm sure that that rear window will be moveable...somehow.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,193
To answer your question...

At the time (about two months ago or so) Scott said that even though things weren't set in stone, the designers couldn't figure out how to make the rear window roll down and make it look like there was no b-pillar. The final answer is there MUST be a b-pillar. This is the pillar between the front and rear window.

The concept is just that...a concept. This means they can do anything they want with it. The front windows roll down. This leaves a rear window w/ a rubber edge. The continuous rolling down of the rear window at events and car shows took a quick toll on that rear rubber guard. It was pretty worn down.

Now...GM must get a 5 star crash test rating on this vehicle. In order to do this, they either have to super reinforce the roof (which adds a ton of weight and adds to cost) or just toss in a b-pillar which is secured to the roof and bottom of the window opening. The consensus at that time, was the coupe was getting a non-moveable b-pillar. This pillar will be "hidden" behind the rear quarter glass and will have a "smoked glass" covering the pillar.

No. The production coupes rear quarter window will, at about a 99% accurracy, not roll down. I know...it sucks big time. The verts will roll down due to the much more relaxed restrictions verts are held to. So, I hope this answers your question. Of course, no 100% guaranteed info yet, but I do believe this is how it's going to be.
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Al Robinson
RACKM
 
Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 160
Now that you mention Scott, the B pillar issue was talked about before. I can't speak for anyone else, but for my two cents worth I would be willing to for go the additional weight for windows that roll down. It just looks cool like the MB CL coupe. Since you are (if the video I saw was correct) involved with chevrolet shows, have ANY influence, tell them that SOME of us would like to see them go down. I know it's like spitting in the wind, but nothing ventured...nothing gained.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,193
Al Robinson...Scott is the promotional manager for GM/Hummer. I don't have anything to do with GM, other than I buy their cars!!! He is at the car shows and takes the 5th Gen when it's not being used elsewhere. I have spoken to him on a few occassions about these windows and it comes back down to cost and weight. I told him there would be more than a few of us who want a "true coupe" if you could call it that by having both rear windows roll down. He and GM undertand...but I think they are more worried about saving money so more people can buy it...and keeping the weight down by not having the electric motors and other equipment used in rolling down the window. Again, I've told him nuimerous times "there's more than enough people who want that rear window to roll down." Pretty positive it won't happen.
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It sucks, but I don't think I'll mind that much...
Attached Images
   
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Al Robinson
RACKM
 
Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Al Robinson...Scott is the promotional manager for GM/Hummer. I don't have anything to do with GM, other than I buy their cars!!! He is at the car shows and takes the 5th Gen when it's not being used elsewhere. I have spoken to him on a few occassions about these windows and it comes back down to cost and weight. I told him there would be more than a few of us who want a "true coupe" if you could call it that by having both rear windows roll down. He and GM undertand...but I think they are more worried about saving money so more people can buy it...and keeping the weight down by not having the electric motors and other equipment used in rolling down the window. Again, I've told him nuimerous times "there's more than enough people who want that rear window to roll down." Pretty positive it won't happen.
I'm sorry. I saw Scott Settlemeir at the bottom of your post and somehow put two and two together. Well maybe after the first year when they see how many Camaros they sell, they maybe more inclined to make this modification. One can only hope. Personally I don't think they're going that far out on a limb with this vehicle. More so than the Mustang is for Ford, I believe this car will be their bread and butter car and the catylist for other great vehicles.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,537
I personally am shooting for the vert, so this is hardly a concern for me since the vert will HAVE to roll down...hehe

That being said, if I were to get a coupe, I'd be pretty upset about having to have more re-enforcements and weight added just so my kids in the backseat who could care less about seeing outside anyway would have a window.

B-pillar ftw.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
That being said, if I were to get a coupe, I'd be pretty upset about having to have more re-enforcements and weight added just so my kids in the backseat who could care less about seeing outside anyway would have a window.

B-pillar ftw.
Most of you know that I have access to a 2nd Gen Camaro, it doesn't have a huge/long window like the 5th Gen, and I'm okay with it, in fact, I like it. And if it makes the Car safer, then I say Go for it, put a B-pillar in!

And besides, think about it; If there's a B-Pillar right there, at the door-edge of the Window, it'll make it easier to seal the 2 windows together.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Most of you know that I have access to a 2nd Gen Camaro, it doesn't have a huge/long window like the 5th Gen, and I'm okay with it, in fact, I like it. And if it makes the Car safer, then I say Go for it, put a B-pillar in!

And besides, think about it; If there's a B-Pillar right there, at the door-edge of the Window, it'll make it easier to seal the 2 windows together.
The 5th Gen would not look as good with the type of B-Pillar the 2nd thru 4th Gens had though.

It doesn't bother me if they make the rear window fixed, so long as they do as described and make the pillar hidden behind smoked glass so it keeps the long window appearance.

There had better be a HUGE sunroof (or TTops) to make up for a non rolldown rear window.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!
 
Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
There had better be a HUGE sunroof (or TTops) to make up for a non rolldown rear window.

T-TOPS!!!
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast
 
acscamarochick06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
T-TOPS!!!
__________________
acscamarochick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
T-TOPS!!!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 AM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,193
SCRAP THE B-PILLAR!!!
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #16
wirewilly
 
wirewilly's Avatar
 
Drives: 96 Eldorado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 36
Now this is the main reason I lost interest in the Challenger. The damn "B" pillar. I can't believe with all the technology available today that a stupid piece of steel with the structural ridgidity of a popcycle stick is going to keep a 3600 lb car from flexing. THIS IS A SCAM!!! It is all about cost cutting. Money they will pocket and savings you will never see. My Eldorado has a "B" pillar and it looks like crap. Leave it to THE GENERAL to screw it up again!!!
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hey...it's only a b-pillar. I can imagine what they'll do. And I'm Absolutely fine with it. As for "strucural rigidity of popsickle"... If they can make a Z06 frame completely out of aluminum - they can make a b-pillar with some strength.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
wirewilly
 
wirewilly's Avatar
 
Drives: 96 Eldorado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 36
If they are that good at making frames, than why the "B"pillar??? It just won't be the same.
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #19
juzlookzfazt
 
Drives: 2000 Mitsu Eclipse..for now..
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 18
One word. Eos. The VW Eos just has an A and B pillar. So maybe GM will actually fall through with just two pillars making the smaller window thing a possibility. Because it is possible, and has been done, and the EOS is like a jelly bean compared to the 5th gen Camaro, so it shouldnt be that hard.
juzlookzfazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #20
Silverado
GM Guy For Life
 
Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzlookzfazt View Post
One word. Eos. The VW Eos just has an A and B pillar. So maybe GM will actually fall through with just two pillars making the smaller window thing a possibility. Because it is possible, and has been done, and the EOS is like a jelly bean compared to the 5th gen Camaro, so it shouldnt be that hard.
You seem to forget one thing....the Eos is a convertible and doesn't have to conform to the same safety standards as the coupes.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
First of all the Eos is a Convertble...hard-top or not, it's still a 'Vert. And as such, they abide by totally different safety standards, than a coupe.

Secondly, the Camaro is longer AND wider than the Eos by about 10 inches both ways...that doesn't help GM engineers any.

EDIT: Silverado, you beat me to that argument by minutes
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 08-07-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #22
gurulu68
 
gurulu68's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 camaro rs
Join Date: May 2007
Location: nj
Posts: 54
GM is really going to screw it up by putting a "B" pillar in. You know I don't remember ever seeing a tri 6 camaro with the roof buckled from a front end accident, and they could always use boron steel. It's light wieght and strong and I don't think it would add too much cost.
__________________
gurulu68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurulu68 View Post
GM is really going to screw it up by putting a "B" pillar in. You know I don't remember ever seeing a tri 6 camaro with the roof buckled from a front end accident, and they could always use boron steel. It's light wieght and strong and I don't think it would add too much cost.
There's nothing to screw up! We've been assured that it won't effect the appearance of the Car. It'll be behind smoked glass, so as not to be seen. DON'T WORRY, GM won't botch this car up over a freaking B-Pillar!!

And I doubt that it's real-world effectiveness that's forcing them to put a B-Pillar in. It's mostly 5-star regulations.

Anyways, it's not like the Window-space is going to be significantly decreased or anything, you'll still have that rear-window to look out of, it just won't open. And we're still gonna have the F-Body-famous Enormous door on this thing.

It'll be real close to the Mustang's, except you wont be able to see it on the outside:
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There's nothing to screw up! We've been assured that it won't effect the appearance of the Car. It'll be behind smoked glass, so as not to be seen. DON'T WORRY, GM won't botch this car up over a freaking B-Pillar!!

And I doubt that it's real-world effectiveness that's forcing them to put a B-Pillar in. It's mostly 5-star regulations.

Anyways, it's not like the Window-space is going to be significantly decreased or anything, you'll still have that rear-window to look out of, it just won't open. And we're still gonna have the F-Body-famous Enormous door on this thing.

It'll be real close to the Mustang's, except you wont be able to see it on the outside:
I must fully disagree...in a sense.

First, it won't effect the appearance greatly. But, it will effect it. I was told that this was the plan as of right now because they couldn't figure out how to keep the cost and weight down while allowing both windows to roll down. This is only the plan as of now. Technically, it's still a possibility that they could do it. But, I wouldn't bet on it at all.

Yes, it will effect it for me. I want a large opening and I want both windows to roll down....period. The way it looks in the pix is the way I want it. I'm not an engineer or designer, so I don't know what materials could be used to strengthen the roof. I don't know how much more it would weigh. I don't know how much more it would cost. But, I know the answers to these questions would not deter me from buying the car. 50lbs more?...100lbs more??? I don't care. $350 more in cost to strengthen the roof? Sure. I'd be happy to pay out of pocket. But I do know that when I'm driving down the road, I want that entire area open. I want to be able to turn my head to the left and back and have open air w/ no blind spots.
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
juzlookzfazt
 
Drives: 2000 Mitsu Eclipse..for now..
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
You seem to forget one thing....the Eos is a convertible and doesn't have to conform to the same safety standards as the coupes.
Really? Oops..I didnt know the hardtop was a convertible lol. Oh well...thanks for clarifying. Sure had me fooled. Looked like a regular hardtop to me.
juzlookzfazt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.