Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
tillroot1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Cottonwood trees on my car

I am looking for help from the pros here, I have a large cottonwood tree that during a severe storm dropped yellow shells on my new car, they are the stickiest little things I have run across, and they left a bunch of sticky spots on the paint. The car is Victory Red and white stripes. I have used a Mothers cleaner wax on the car followed by Mothers finish wax. I am not at all happy with this combo, and would like all opinions offered as to what works the best and what I should use to remove the pitch like crap off the paint. Thank you, Ron Tilley
tillroot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'd start with claying the car
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
tillroot1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'd start with claying the car
Thanks, Claying is new terminology to me, I have never owned a car this nice before and want to keep as close to perfect as I can. again, Tahnk you. Ron Tilley
tillroot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Tecca

Drives: ...
Well it has been a while since I have posted here but figured this is a good question to welcome me back.

I would get some stoners tarminator, then clay it. You must remove the sap first or it will ruin your clay. Also get it off asap, as it can and will eventually etch your paint.

Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Tecca

Drives: ...
Additional info:

If it is taking to much work you can also use goo gone let it sit a bit and then wipe.

Do not use goof off it will not be a pretty sight
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillroot1 View Post
I am looking for help from the pros here, I have a large cottonwood tree that during a severe storm dropped yellow shells on my new car, they are the stickiest little things I have run across, and they left a bunch of sticky spots on the paint. The car is Victory Red and white stripes. I have used a Mothers cleaner wax on the car followed by Mothers finish wax. I am not at all happy with this combo, and would like all opinions offered as to what works the best and what I should use to remove the pitch like crap off the paint. Thank you, Ron Tilley
Hey Ron,

Just responded to your PM from last night, but theres more info here so I'll answer this post.

Start with some isopropyl alcohol (available at any grocery or drugstore) and a microfiber towel. If you start claying at the stuff now you'll just end up with a bigger mess than you already have.

Soak a spot on the towel, set it over a spot for a moment, then wipe, the alcohol should help break up the bulk of the sap so you can take it off. Once you're done you'll then want to clay the car and then polish and wax till you're content.

I hope that help, let me know if you need anything else.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote