Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 03-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #1551
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
With regard to the gen V LT1 ... that engine will be going into SS's. It might go into a Z28 too, but its not going to be something which can set the Z28 apart from the SS.
It will be the "enhanced FE4"...or MRC...along with Dual-Mode 'n such that would specifically differentiate the ZEE from its brother, the SS...

Will the Gen-5 SS see the LT1? Maybe not...maybe only the ZEE would...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #1552
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
With regard to the gen V LT1 ... that engine will be going into SS's. It might go into a Z28 too, but its not going to be something which can set the Z28 apart from the SS.
DG, what info have you found on the new Gen 5 DI being refered to as an LT1. I've only found some info saying the new 8 cyl DI motors would be small bore roughly 3" with a long stroke capable of over 400 HP. I've been looking for more specifics. Rumored 'Vette gets new DI in 2014 as I recall? Can you shed additional light on the info...thanks...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #1553
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Long stroke = low revs = not a track star = not for Z28
2cnd chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #1554
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
DG, what info have you found on the new Gen 5 DI being refered to as an LT1. I've only found some info saying the new 8 cyl DI motors would be small bore roughly 3" with a long stroke capable of over 400 HP. I've been looking for more specifics. Rumored 'Vette gets new DI in 2014 as I recall? Can you shed additional light on the info...thanks...
I haven't heard anything as specific as that. But I believe that they're going to be using the 5.3 and 6.2 litre engines that make up the bulk of the lineup today. And they're going to be reving a little higher than they currently do. And they'll be keeping a 2 valve pushrod configuration. And of course, keeping the 4.4" bore spacing of every Chevy small block before it.

A 3" bore pretty much prevents the rest of those things from happening. The stroke length required to get it up to even a modest 4L displacement would be about 4.4" -longer than just about any automotive engine produced since before the second world war (and longer than the small block architecture can even support). To get to the smallest proposed displacement for the gen V's, it would have to have a gargantuan stroke of 5.7". The long stroke means that it wouldn't be able to reach high rpm's without very strong internals. The small bore would require small valves, restricting flow. Plus, it would add a whole bunch of weight since the block would need to be cast with a taller deck, and there'd be a whole bunch of 'extra' material left in the block between cylinders. Overall, I'd dismiss such a claim.

I could see some variant with a 3" stroke though. A V8 with a 4" bore x 3" stroke yields about a 4.9L displacement, which is a very workable engine size.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #1555
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
I haven't heard anything as specific as that. But I believe that they're going to be using the 5.3 and 6.2 litre engines that make up the bulk of the lineup today. And they're going to be reving a little higher than they currently do. And they'll be keeping a 2 valve pushrod configuration. And of course, keeping the 4.4" bore spacing of every Chevy small block before it.

A 3" bore pretty much prevents the rest of those things from happening. The stroke length required to get it up to even a modest 4L displacement would be about 4.4" -longer than just about any automotive engine produced since before the second world war (and longer than the small block architecture can even support). To get to the smallest proposed displacement for the gen V's, it would have to have a gargantuan stroke of 5.7". The long stroke means that it wouldn't be able to reach high rpm's without very strong internals. The small bore would require small valves, restricting flow. Plus, it would add a whole bunch of weight since the block would need to be cast with a taller deck, and there'd be a whole bunch of 'extra' material left in the block between cylinders. Overall, I'd dismiss such a claim.

I could see some variant with a 3" stroke though. A V8 with a 3" bore x 4" stroke yields about a 4.9L displacement, which is a very workable engine size.

Thanks (takes deep breath and exhales)
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #1556
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

I could see some variant with a 3" stroke though. A V8 with a 3" bore x 4" stroke yields about a 4.9L displacement, which is a very workable engine size.
Hmmmm, 3" and 4", that was an old combination from the first gens. except it was a 4" bore with a 3" stroke which yielded 4.9L displacement commonly known as a 302cid engine. I think they put those in some strange Z something or other!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #1557
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Hmmmm, 3" and 4", that was an old combination from the first gens. except it was a 4" bore with a 3" stroke which yielded 4.9L displacement commonly known as a 302cid engine. I think they put those in some strange Z something or other!!
Clyde
That was a typo on my part. When I wrote that post, I had been thinking '3 inch bore ... 3 inch bore ... 3 inch bore ... '

It should have read 4" bore x 3" stroke, that yields a 4.9L/302 cu engine. Going the other way makes for a 3.7L

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #1558
wildpaws

Quote:
Clyde
Can't believe all the old timers on here missed this one!
Clyde
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #1559
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I don't feel old!?
My concern was the long stroke, not for my Z...28!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #1560
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I don't feel old!?
My concern was the long stroke, not for my Z...28!
...I want to take long naps.....
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #1561
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I don't do naps either...I'ma fightin' this gettin' old thing.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #1562
wildpaws

Quote:
I don't do naps either...I'ma fightin' this gettin' old thing.
It is useless to resist, it is inevitable, it is only a matter of time! Seriously, a lot of it is how you approach it mentally, I still work 8 hours a day as a carpenter and can still outwork some of the younger ones on thye jobsite. Other than aches and pains, I don't feel old (well I do get tired a little more easily), I still listen to rock, follow NASCAR closely, do pretty much whatever I want. And I still want a new Z/28 to go fast in!!
Clyde
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #1563
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Generally, age is a statistic...but every once in awhile, it's a FACT.

Remember when you'd go OUT at 10 or 11 to "have a lil fun"? Well, watch out...that becomes you're "nighty-night-time" when you're not lookin'...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #1564
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Generally, age is a statistic...but every once in awhile, it's a FACT.

Remember when you'd go OUT at 10 or 11 to "have a lil fun"? Well, watch out...that becomes you're "nighty-night-time" when you're not lookin'...
How true Lowdown....10 PM'ish and I'm out of gas...nightlife for me around that time anymore is horizontal cable TV surfing then , ...ZZZZZZZZ...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #1565
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
It is useless to resist, it is inevitable, it is only a matter of time! Seriously, a lot of it is how you approach it mentally, I still work 8 hours a day as a carpenter and can still outwork some of the younger ones on thye jobsite. Other than aches and pains, I don't feel old (well I do get tired a little more easily), I still listen to rock, follow NASCAR closely, do pretty much whatever I want. And I still want a new Z/28 to go fast in!!
Clyde
Good for you!

I'm in pretty good shape as well and long for the things that make me feel younger, rock n roll and cars are at the top of my list. even played a little guitar last night.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #1566
wildpaws

Quote:
Good for you!

I'm in pretty good shape as well and long for the things that make me feel younger, rock n roll and cars are at the top of my list. even played a little guitar last night.
Great, keep at that guitar!! I still play my keyboards/synthesizers and have a home studio for recording whatever I feel like doing.
Clyde
Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #1567
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Great, keep at that guitar!! I still play my keyboards/synthesizers and have a home studio for recording whatever I feel like doing.
Clyde
That Rocks!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #1568
OldScoolCamaro

A swell bunch of gents...some things get better with age....I'm truely honored to be amongst your midsts...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #1569
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
A swell bunch of gents...some things get better with age....I'm truely honored to be amongst your midsts...
Back to you there Z brother.
Maybe one day we'll all meet up and match the font with the face.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... Z/28 party.
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #1570
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

...and the FIRST ROUND is on me...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #1571
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I enjoy my daily escape to be amongst those that truly "get it". Here Here Zbrothers!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #1572
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Well, I saw her face! Now, I'm a ZEE-liever!"

Right "look"...wrong badge...

Attached Images

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #1573
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I dig it!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #1574
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
I enjoy my daily escape to be amongst those that truly "get it". Here Here Zbrothers!
...amen Brother...we all need our escapes...glad to have this one for sure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Well, I saw her face! Now, I'm a ZEE-liever!"

Right "look"...wrong badge...

I am confident we will prevail with the badge eventually, the look is spot on...nice pic... it's got "possibilities", I've hitched that star to my wagon come rain or shine...

" Not a trace of doubt in my mind,
I'm in love
Oh, I'm a believer,
I couldn't leave her if I tried"- " The Monkee's", and Lowdown's 'I'm a ZEE-liever" rendition...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1575
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Pete, any testing going on?
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro