Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #1951
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Well...based on discussions over this past weekend @ WDC with "known sources", the chances of an RPO'd Gen-5 Z28 with an LS7 are...apparently...ZERO...although there is NO known plans cast in aluminum to cease operations @ Wixom...yet...

Pete, IF such a devise was to arrive, your numbers are pretty darned close to what they would have to be, to make the Case work...BOSS LS-type shekels...using present practices for costing. Which simply proves what an outstanding deal the 1LE is...
Honestly I'm not surprised there's little chance of a LS7 Z/28. If the Z/28 does make a comeback I'd expect it to be more of an add on to the base V8 than its own model.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #1952
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,344
I am still looking forward to my factory built 5th Gen Z/28, but what do I know?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #1953
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am still looking forward to my factory built 5th Gen Z/28, but what do I know?
I'm not sure. What do you know that I don't about a 5th gen Z/28?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1954
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Honestly I'm not surprised there's little chance of a LS7 Z/28. If the Z/28 does make a comeback I'd expect it to be more of an add on to the base V8 than its own model.
Not a Chance!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #1955
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
Yep! and if I was on a Mustang forum, Z/28's wouldn't be brought up in conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You wouldn't find me on a Mustang forum.
haha. Im on all sorts of car forums,gun forums, racing forums, movie forums, just about everything (need something to pass the time on slow days at work)

Reason Im on car forums most is I love cars, all brands for the most part. Grew up around GMs my whole life, but when I started driving moved over to Ford. Before I got my license my dream car was a 2002 Camaro SS. I know to a few on here I probably come of as a Ford fanboy but im really not. Just about every forum i frequent I have an opinion thats different than what most people believe.

Carry on with Z/28 related discussion now hahah
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #1956
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Not a Chance!!!
As much as I hate to say it, that's how I feel it will be built. GM doesn't want to build specialized engines like Ford does. If they did, the ZL1 wouldn't have used the LSA, and the Camaro wouldn't have been stuck with the LS3 the entire time. Calling the base V8 the SS makes no sense to me.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #1957
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,106
A few things to consider, currently:

1) The clock - tic-tic-tic-tic

2) Akerson's edicts about "information sharing"...formerly careful-but-forthright sources are very concerned, but NOT fully intimidated

3) LS7-in-a-Gen-5-Camaro is an apparent non-starter...which wouldn't fully eliminate a possible Gen-5 Z28...would it?
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #1958
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 840
Well, what other motor do they have? I know of none...an enhanced LS3?
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #1959
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
A few things to consider, currently:

1) The clock - tic-tic-tic-tic

2) Akerson's edicts about "information sharing"...formerly careful-but-forthright sources are very concerned, but NOT fully intimidated

3) LS7-in-a-Gen-5-Camaro is an apparent non-starter...which wouldn't fully eliminate a possible Gen-5 Z28...would it?

To clarify, we now understand that a LS7 based Camaro is a no go?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #1960
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
As much as I hate to say it, that's how I feel it will be built. GM doesn't want to build specialized engines like Ford does. If they did, the ZL1 wouldn't have used the LSA, and the Camaro wouldn't have been stuck with the LS3 the entire time. Calling the base V8 the SS makes no sense to me.

THe LSA is still a specialized engine. Ford has no other car to share the GT500's engine with. Sharing platforms and engines is HUGE in cost savings.

Remember FbodFathers comment on the Z28 as to it being held as very special, and would be treated as such.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #1961
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,106
Gen-5 SBC production is scheduled to commence April/13...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1962
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Gen-5 SBC production is scheduled to commence April/13...
I could go there (DI). But it needs to be more than a base level power wise.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #1963
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 933
Still looking forward to a Gen5 engine in a Gen5 Camaro with a 1LE package!! It will come!! And it's name shall be Z/28!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #1964
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I betit will be a big deal in the camaro community. But in the general automotive world, it will not trump the all new mustang(in terms of being a big deal)
People know the name Mustang, they know the name Camaro, but what just as many people know regardless of their liking or fanfare is the Z/28 name. It's a household name even for haters..and who says the new mustang is going to be well received by the public anyway. The problem with redesign changes is you never know how the public will perceive it. The 5th Gen Camaro is still a great seller and has the body of a unicorn-ed angel. Slap a new motor in it and a badge that says Z/28 on the grill and it will sell, and we will then ask ourselves, Ford released an all new what?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1965
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z
 
Gramps69Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 1,652
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
People know the name Mustang, they know the name Camaro, but what just as many people know regardless of their liking or fanfare is the Z/28 name. It's a household name even for haters..and who says the new mustang is going to be well received by the public anyway. The problem with redesign changes is you never know how the public will perceive it. The 5th Gen Camaro is still a great seller and has the body of a unicorn-ed angel. Slap a new motor in it and a badge that says Z/28 on the grill and it will sell, and we will then ask ourselves, Ford released an all new what?



Thank you sir.......
__________________
1 year, 5 months to go!
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
2006 Denali
2009 Cadillac CTS


The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #1966
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
THe LSA is still a specialized engine. Ford has no other car to share the GT500's engine with. Sharing platforms and engines is HUGE in cost savings.

Remember FbodFathers comment on the Z28 as to it being held as very special, and would be treated as such.
I get that there are cost savings from using existing parts but how can Ford have 3 different V8, different trim levels with a specific engine and GM can't? Is it because GM can't or doesn't want to?

If GM intended to have a 5th Gen Z/28 there would have been.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #1967
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I get that there are cost savings from using existing parts but how can Ford have 3 different V8, different trim levels with a specific engine and GM can't? Is it because GM can't or doesn't want to?

If GM intended to have a 5th Gen Z/28 there would have been.
It appears to me that GM (I am sure its corporate management) just will not commit to specialized engines, ie., boss 302, specific hyper powerful GT500, etc. Have you also noticed they have changed engines and upgraded the Mustang GT engine while the LS3 has not had any enhancements? Thats a reason I may have to look elsewhere down the road. They have a lot of excuses. Just Sayin.

BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #1968
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,106
GM's money for V8 engine development has/is being $pent on the coming Gen-5 SBC. For widespread use in trucks AND cars.

Ford has amortized the current Mustang platform over now-9 model years, with a 10th to follow, spread over 11 calendar years...Camaro is spread over only 5 calendar years, currently. Ford therefore has money to spend on a couple of specialized engines. Camaro shot its recent "improvement" budget on the chassis upgrades (ZL1 and 1LE - two programs as well) which, according to ALL sources, has paid great(er?) benefits.

Pro Street vs. Pro Tour.

Only so many schekels in the piggybank, regardless of whose bank it is...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #1969
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
GM's money for V8 engine development has/is being $pent on the coming Gen-5 SBC. For widespread use in trucks AND cars.

Ford has amortized the current Mustang platform over now-9 model years, with a 10th to follow, spread over 11 calendar years...Camaro is spread over only 5 calendar years, currently. Ford therefore has money to spend on a couple of specialized engines. Camaro shot its recent "improvement" budget on the chassis upgrades (ZL1 and 1LE - two programs as well) which, according to ALL sources, has paid great(er?) benefits.

Pro Street vs. Pro Tour.

Only so many schekels in the piggybank, regardless of whose bank it is...
That makes sense, but with the switch to the "new mustang" and the 6th Gen, seems like things will be evened out again. I hope GM is anticipating one or more hipo Gen 5 for the Camaro...
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #1970
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,106
Hipo versions of Gen-6 Camaro with Gen-5 SBC? That's fodder for another thread, but no doubt in the plans...
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #1971
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
People know the name Mustang, they know the name Camaro, but what just as many people know regardless of their liking or fanfare is the Z/28 name. It's a household name even for haters..and who says the new mustang is going to be well received by the public anyway. The problem with redesign changes is you never know how the public will perceive it. The 5th Gen Camaro is still a great seller and has the body of a unicorn-ed angel. Slap a new motor in it and a badge that says Z/28 on the grill and it will sell, and we will then ask ourselves, Ford released an all new what?
I can try to counter your point, but no one here will accept what I say haha, but I will try. And for the record I am not trying to stir the pot.

when i made my point, I was saying if it happened in the same few month span. Say September All new Mustang unveiled, then november Z/28 returns. The Mustang will be a bigger deal, there are too many factors working against the Camaro. By bigger deal, I mean more coverage by auto magazines, more press coverage, more talked about about by enthusiasts. Why you ask?

1. The mustang is getting totally redesigned, its ditching retro, its taking a gamble
2. Finally getting IRS, something people have wanted since 05, and been the main bashing point on Mustangs in every article written about them.
3. Its happening on the cars 50th anniversary.
4. I see more people talking about the 2015 Mustang on Camaro5 then I do on mustang sites I frequent.

If it is a design that fails or undeperforms-its going to be talked about alot. if its a huge success its going to be talked about alot. Either way the all new mustang is a big deal

Now teh Z/28 will get alot of press coverage too, especially if GM does it right BC the last Z/28 I remember, it was simply the V-8 Option on the 90s camaros and was the second tier option as the SS was the top of the line. but to the general automotive community, I cant see it getting more press coverage than when its main competitor releases a completely new model on its 50th birthday.

Basically I can spin your argument to say that when the 6th gen camaro comes out, redesigned, on a new lighter chassis with the new Gen 5 GM V-8s, that a month later a new mustang trim is going to be a bigger deal.

And for the record, I do know what its liek being a die hard fan of a car that is no longer made, hoping it comes back. I love El Caminos- when the G8 ST concept showed up I thought I died and went to heaven lol. so I understand the passion for something hoping it comes back

Last edited by shaffe; 08-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1972
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,106
Your point is moot...

Next-Gen Mustang to arrive April/14...on Stang's 50th Anniversary...as you stated.

IF (cap's/italix'd) our long-overdue Gen-5 Camaro Z(/)28 arrives, it will need to arrive prior to April/14, as the Gen-6 Camaro will bow, mid-'15...a year, roughly, after the renewed Stang. And my supposition is, Camaro would need at least TWO full production years to make the Business Case viable...

As to what would be a "bigger deal", BOTH will be BIG deals...and the magazine cover stories will bear that out.
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1973
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,132
my argument was based on second chance stating a what if GM releases Z-28 shortly after new stang is unveiled, all what-ifs lol.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1974
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Your point is moot...

Next-Gen Mustang to arrive April/14...on Stang's 50th Anniversary...as you stated.

IF (cap's/italix'd) our long-overdue Gen-5 Camaro Z(/)28 arrives, it will need to arrive prior to April/14, as the Gen-6 Camaro will bow, mid-'15...a year, roughly, after the renewed Stang. And my supposition is, Camaro would need at least TWO full production years to make the Business Case viable...

As to what would be a "bigger deal", BOTH will be BIG deals...and the magazine cover stories will bear that out.
Do you think the new Mustang will arrive without a hi-po model? That seems a stretch to me....
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #1975
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
They've made a TON of $$$$$ on the 5Gen!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BREAKING: 2012 CAMARO ZL1 - 6.2L LSA Supercharged - 6MT Revealed! Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 756 05-01-2013 06:22 AM
Transcript of Camaro ZL1 Q&A Webchat with Chevrolet Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 38 02-17-2012 12:45 AM
Installation Camaro Needed for Manual for a Justice Install Package in SF Bay Area Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - California 6 04-30-2010 08:02 PM
The DEFINITIVE EXPLANATION OF CAMARO SUSPENSION, ISSUES, AND UPGRADES Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 106 10-19-2009 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.