Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #1378
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Pete, from an overview of the COPO, the mention of its LS7 as being carburated may NOT be the "link" we seek... The tall cowl hood is for a hi-rise/4bbl moreso than the Whipple.

Having said that, I refuse (yet!) to give up hope for an LS7, track-worthy Camaro...call it what you may. To bash the BOSS LS, I simply think it's mandatory, MR 'n all...

If, by spreading the costs of MR over the ZL1 AND the 1LE AND the Z/28, the Team can reduce its unit costs to near-FE4 range, then an LS7-MR ZEE for near-BOSS LS money should be do-able...and very welcomed in the marketplace!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #1379
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I don't know what I want any more... with all these new special edition ZL1 spin offs coming down..... carbon concept, 1LE, Cryastal Red convert., etc.... I am like a kid in a candy store... I want a ZL1, but now I am thinking I might wait until next year anad see what develops....
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #1380
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I don't know what I want any more... I want a ZL1, but now I am thinking I might wait until next year anad see what develops....
[in best German Doctor accent] Mein herr, you haf caught zee fever...or ZEE Fever...

A lil sip o' schnapps 'n all will be vell!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #1381
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
[in best German Doctor accent] Mein herr, you haf caught zee fever...or ZEE Fever...

A lil sip o' schnapps 'n all will be vell!
Ya, i see one car and am.... oooo i WANT THAT...... then see another one.... no that one.... then another.... etc
Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #1382
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I don't know what I want any more... with all these new special edition ZL1 spin offs coming down..... carbon concept, 1LE, Cryastal Red convert., etc.... I am like a kid in a candy store... I want a ZL1, but now I am thinking I might wait until next year anad see what develops....
Just play the waiting game, that's what I'm gonna do. I have 3 years and 11 months if not sooner to make a decision on what to buy. I hate to jump the gun and later have buyers remorse when I could of had a Z-8.

2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #1383
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Just play the waiting game, that's what I'm gonna do. I have 3 years and 11 months if not sooner to make a decision on what to buy. I hate to jump the gun and later have buyers remorse when I could of had a Z-8.

That's why I ordered a 2LT/M6 a year ago. I'm just enjoying the hell out of it until the last model year of the Gen5 Z/28. I've waited 30 years for this and can wait another 2 or 3 with my 2LT.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #1384
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Good to see people are FINALLY jumping on board with the LS7-powered Z/28 idea. When i left this site ALL i would get is bashed over that idea. You have no idea how many people said "its a dead motor" "its dead" "its going out" "its done" "we've seen the last of it" and EVERY YEAR itd still be available and id be there shaking my head saying "come on people, why am i the villain here" An LS7 Camaro would ROCK. I preffer N/A motors, i like being able to say "i can do all you can do without the cheater power adder" and i like doing it all in a lighter package ^_^ Im very happy to see my thoughts on the LS7 havent died off since ive been gone
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #1385
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Good to see people are FINALLY jumping on board with the LS7-powered Z/28 idea. When i left this site ALL i would get is bashed over that idea. You have no idea how many people said "its a dead motor" "its dead" "its going out" "its done" "we've seen the last of it" and EVERY YEAR itd still be available and id be there shaking my head saying "come on people, why am i the villain here" An LS7 Camaro would ROCK. I preffer N/A motors, i like being able to say "i can do all you can do without the cheater power adder" and i like doing it all in a lighter package ^_^ Im very happy to see my thoughts on the LS7 havent died off since ive been gone
I think the heavy-hitting naysayers just got tired of you LS7 cheerleaders' perseverance! Just Kidding!!!!

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #1386
nthimage

Drives: four wheels
Send a message via AIM to nthimage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I want to spill the commercial can of beans, but I only have

• Tremec 6060 6 Speed Manual Transmission
• MTI Short Throw Shifter
• Driveshaft Shop HD 1400HP Axle Shafts
• Be Cool Radiator
• American Racing Headers
• Forgeline Wheels, 20”X10.5”
• Michelin Tires, 305/35ZR20
• Specter Werkes Extractor Hood
• RPM Six Point Roll Bar
• Corbeau TRS Leather Seats and 5 Point Belts
• LS7 Engine, 681HP @ 6700 RPM / 588 LB/FT @5600
• 9.5” Differential, 373 Ratio with no preload TracRiteฎ GT – Helical Gear Limited Slip

In a few days and no further than 10 days out. I'll name names and post a rendering. I believe that this Camaro build will be a community event. There are so many that have contributed. This thread is a perfect example. I can't imagine GM isn't watching and learning because we certainly are. The only portion of this build that will disappoint the true Z/28 enthusiast is the price point. That is the only bad news and it really isn't that bad. The first car is built to a ridiculous standard. Customer builds will reflect the customer's wants, desires and budget. Only GM would be able to produce the Z/28 with more customer friendly pricing because they won't have a pile of expensive take off parts. You know, a LS3, a Tremec gear box, Brembo brakes, suspension, wheels and tires... not to mention the labor to strip it all out.

The ZL1 posted spectacular numbers from the Ring run. I 'know' what our car would do, but knowing and proving are two different things. I have checked a number of items off my bucket list. I have not checked off the run the Ring with a Pedderised Camaro box. Then again, I wasn't too sure I would be involved in a build like this

We ran a 1:51.3 around the Spring Mountain Race Course, and finished with the 9th fastest time of the day. The remaining results are still coming in. Our goal was to finish top 10 in the road course. Not bad for a 4,100+ lbs. car [including driver] !!

Click the first link to view the gallery, which I'll be adding to throughout the next few days.

Great work Pete!

-Isaac
nthimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #1387
TLSTWIN

still awaiting price.....

Are you waiting for the ZL1 price to be released first?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #1388
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Being "hand-built", the final price will depend on YOUR final content requests. Specs of the Optima car would be appreciated, though...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #1389
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Video is processing now....
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #1390
JusticePete

Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #1391
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Just plain nasty
Love that sound
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #1392
JusticePete

On track, the L/28 destroyed the other modern muscle cars (Mustang and Challenger) and that is the key to evaluation. There were quite a few 5th Gens at the event and none were came close to the L/28. A Shelby GT500 'track' car (I don't know what that means it is what it was called) set a time to shoot for. The L/28 in full street trim was 2 seconds faster.

The L/28 has a few issues that will be resolved before it goes into production. The engine will get a smoother tip in cal. The clutch / slave will be refined. These tow items turn into real time on track and will enhance the drive-ability of the production cars. Can you imagine owning a car like the L/28 that is a docile puppy in city driving and a fierce track animal capable of running with the best and fastest street cars on the planet with OE like reliability?

We know GM say what a Naturally Aspirated 5th Gen can do and hope they choose to build one On the other hand, we think our L/28 will be just tiny bit stronger than anything that rolls off the GM assembly line

Now if I can just talk Ken, Mike and Graham into a trip to Germany where they have that ring thing
Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #1393
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

...and LPE is "centrally located" in beautiful bucolic Decatur IN, and will gladly add the L28 "touch" to your properly priced LS7'd Z/28...

Business Case Review:

2SS - 1SS = $3,600
1SS = 1LT in non-driveline content (20" - 18" alloys excepted)
1LT - 1LS = $2,000 + $600 (18" alloys - 18" steelies) = $1,400, net.

Therefore, a 1SS built with 1LS content/trim (Z/28 basics) = $5,000 advantage over ZL1 content/trim (at least!)

Soooo...Z/28 basics + LS7 = $5,000 price advantage over ZL1! Keep in mind, folks, that a ZL1 includes MR and all the HD driveline bits 'n pieces and forged 20s/tires...and the coolers...and so would the Z/28...and about 175 fewer lb, mostly off the nose...

Whatever the price released in 7 short days' time for the ZL1, you should have yourself an LS7-Z/28 for $5Gs less. And that $5,000 spent wisely you-know-where will get you awfully close to what this 681 hp L28 just did...

Make sense?

Want one?

If so, please don't keep it a secret from GM...

And if you really-really want Boston Accoustics and Back-up Camera and cowhide seats 'n such, why there's always an option box or two to tick...

EDIT: Most of this has been re-posted on the ZL1/LS7 Poll thread in the ZL1 Section...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181043

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 11-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #1394
R1jamn

Drives: 2006 YZF-R1/2010 Honda Civic Cpe
I would like to see something come out of GM soon with regards to a Z/28. I will be turning 50 years young in 2014 and would like to purchase a Z around that time as a birthday present to myself. This will also give GM some time to refine the Z/28 after a couple of years of production.

The LS7 is not what I am hoping for in the Z/28 though.

If I wanted an LS7 I would buy a Z06.
The Z06 is a great platform. The LS7 has it's problems though.
At this stage in my life I am looking for a platform that is consistant.
The LS7 will never deliver a sense of reliability for me and in turn will
not allow me to enjoy the experience of owning a Z/28 to 100% satisfaction.
R1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro