Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #1480
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Planning to use the bottle for meth?
No, it is I guess 7LBS when full on the nose end. I just don't want him to toss it out.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #1481
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Hellloooooo,...Pete,...Number 2.99,...Lowdown,...2cnd chance, anybody home....???
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #1482
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I'm here
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #1483
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I'd take out the supercharger and replace it. I'd add headers, a CAM and exhaust. The tranny is re-inforced, the gears are upgraded, and good tires.
However, I'm sure the suspension could be better as well, but, we'll see what the aftermarket comes out with to prove or dis-prove that. Just because it has MRT doesn't mean it can be improved.
Problem is with the stuff I listed warranty is scraped.
Dont' see how you can do anything to the vehicle without some portion of the warranty being dishonoured.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #1484
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The warranty issues aren't because of a lack of suitable parts and/or technology, able to create improvements. The "problem" is those parts/pieces/technology must go through GM's rigorous certification and validation processes. Which takes time. And time, as we all know, is money...

Dropping the suspension requires re-crash-testing. Reprogramming MRC for reduced Curb Weight will require "some" engineering-related issues. Devising a new engine recipe requires a LOT of work for the folks at Powertrain.

...and on...and on...

G'day, Old School...present and accounted for.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #1485
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

LowDown do we need the HD Diff for a Z28/LS7? My concerns are weight and cost. I do agree with the HD Axles. I would like the HD Transmission that's in the ZL1. Also what are your thoughts regarding the Hot Wheels Hood? And what is item #4?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1486
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Last, first: MG9 is the GM code for the mandatory HD Tremec...just like the HD rear diff/axles.

Why?!

If I'm GM, I gonna build this mutha TUFF. Durable. And CHARGE for it, up-front. That way, two things happen, positively, for GM and for "me" and "you" (and they're kinda inter-related):

1) Built tuff means no/minimized breakage = happy consumers, right?

2) Minimal/no breakage means minimal/no warranty costs and minimal/no extra visits to the dealership. Which means GM "nets" a better profit/deal, and you "net" a far more positive experience with little/no "downtime". Means a better score with JD Power. Means a better chance at customer retention. Means I'm more likely to continue my association with GM/Chev, regardless of what vehicle(s) I may next purchase/lease.

"A happy customer is a long-term customer".

Yes it'll add some weight. But it will also add to that ULTRA PERMA GRIN that ONLY a ZEE can provide...

It also adds credence to a "proper Business Plan"...
Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #1487
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Also what are your thoughts regarding the Hot Wheels Hood?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #1488
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
G'day, Old School...present and accounted for.
Good to see you guys back ....! We gotta get this built before 2016, no if's, ands, or buts, drivetrain is shelf ready from ZL1....we don't need the coolers you think? Maybe a cowl induction hood set-up.... definetely need a cold air intake for our N/A beastie, how we gonna do it, thoughts?.....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #1489
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Good to see you guys back ....! We gotta get this built before 2016, no if's, ands, or buts, drivetrain is shelf ready from ZL1....we don't need the coolers you think? Maybe a cowl induction hood set-up.... definetely need a cold air intake for our N/A beastie, how we gonna do it, thoughts?.....
The more I look at the Hot Wheels hood the more I want it!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #1490
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I still avoid looking at it ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #1491
OldScoolCamaro

Can't it be made without MRC? SS's are, why not the Z-28?. MRC and dual mode can be passed on. Just a free flowing 3" system. 19" wheels all around, variable rate coils and adjustable shock valving. Enhanced FE4 with Pedder's, or another cottage GM supplier, Whats the performance issues with the manual trans and rear end in the current SS?. What's breaking? Internal tranny issues? Output shaft? Rear axle's? Internal rear axle problems? If anyone is factualy aware of the weak links let us know. I am not sure if the upgraded drive and axle shafts can even be fitted to anything other than the ZL1 tranny and rear axle assembly. Whats the tranny, rear axle, and drive/axle shaft differences say between a Gran Sport and a Z06? Guys, I admit I'm behind the times, but I'm a trained mechanic and salty hotrodder from Bedrock. I'm trying to get a handle on whats needed to put behind a LS7 for the Z-28 without breaking the bank or making it bigger or badder than necessary. I also throw out there why do we have to say were are going to beat the Boss 302 or any other car? Can't we just make a performance level upgrade, halfway between the SS and ZL1? Around 45K base. A Z-28 500ish HP. PTM and gear lube coolers are nice, but Jackie Stewart we ain't, and we could use a plain 'ol fashioned performance upgrade over the SS, not the next generation hypersonic NASA orbitor.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #1492
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I still avoid looking at it ...

I like Smokin's hood.
It's bad ass!!
Attached Images

2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #1493
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Nobody here for Last Call? I'm blinking the lights.......
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #1494
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Something else to consider about the beefier ZL1 drivetrain components is that, while heavier, the mass is all about as low as it could possibly be and should lower the CG of the car just a tad (though a very small amount). More importantly, it also pushes the CG a little farther back, improving balance.

Overall, I bet that its advantages & disadvantages would pretty much balance out handling wise, while being a slight a hindrance in a straight line.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #1495
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

* ACS/SLP hood with Leno-style extractors. I have a rendering from '09 that would be "ideal"...

* Possibly with ACS bumper ports as per Smokin's, only split in two: upper or outer for driving lights/DRLs, lower or inner for brake ducts... See, again, the Leno-look...

http://www.camaro5.com/semas-version...ro-z28-its-not

I long ago was a proponent for "Enhanced FE4" but, if you notice, even Pete gave up on that idea, here... IF 1LE had "Enhanced FE4", then YES! But it didn't, and that, my friends, indicates to me where the Team's thinkin' is headed...

The old "Ben Franklin chart" comes into play...Pluses - Minuses = Final Result...and I'm a-feared that the Pluses far outweigh the Minuses, at least in GM's mind. Other than a slight reprogram for lower Curb and different Weight Distribution, MRC is ready to FLY!

MRC's single greatest advantage? Street ride...an important factor for Daily Driver status.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #1496
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
We gotta get this built before 2016, no if's, ands, or buts, drivetrain is shelf ready from ZL1....
IF (caps) a Gen-5 ZEE is to make an appearance, the KISS method will be in play. The fewer "unique" parts 'n pieces required, the better chance we have of seeing it.

That likely means MRC...no readily available "enhanced FE4" exists, tmk...and, unfortunately, likely means NO LS7 (which, personally, would be a damn shame). A ZEE-specific hood is no biggie... crash-testing/certification/validation can be pretty much done by computer. The ACS "process" is exactly the same as the Gen-4 SS hoods (after all, the guys from SLP that made those hoods are the same dudes who operate ACS!). The "rest" of the necessary components pretty much exist...

[tick-tick-tick...]

On a personal note, my "hit" of the NAIAS, as far as GM is concerned, is the 60th Anniversary LS7 Vette Convert. HOO-RAY!!

Wixom, could you willingly handle an order for about 5000 Camaro-specific versions of said engine?!

Thought so...

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro