Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
ouhockeyplayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
What causes water spots like this

Had to drive my car in the Michigan tropical depression today and when I went out to the garage tonight I noticed strange water spotting. They have brown edges and feel kind of sticky. They are all over my hood, and I just recently put a coat of machine super wax on the car. I tried some waterless wash on a couple but did not want to touch the entire hood because it probably is in need of a proper wash. Unfortunately, I can't get to that until Saturday. They take a bit of elbow grease to get off too.
Attached Images

ouhockeyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
ouhockeyplayer

Also, does anyone else notice that driving this car in the rain almost always equals a for sure rock chip in the gill area? I ended the day with two new ones.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
tree sap?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Any number of things... acid rain, contamination coming off the road mixed with rain water, something splashing onto the car while it was wet, etc. If you can't do a proper wash now to get rid of them I'd avoid messing with it. Putting "elbow grease" into scrubbing them off is just begging for swirls as you'll be putting pressure down on contaminated paint.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
ouhockeyplayer

Thanks Dylan. I tried one and realized they don't come off very easy so I stopped. I put too much time in polishing to get the swirls back. There was quite a bit of splashing going on from other cars as the roads were very flooded. I don't park near any trees, so I know it is not sap. Would wax do little to prevent these given the road condions? I should have plenty of wax on the car.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
yes, your coat of superwax is keeping this from being a larger issue as its still there (or should be) so even if you have to go with an aggressive method to clean it (say alcohol or a degreaser) the wax will be sacraficed, but better it than your paint!
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouhockeyplayer View Post
Had to drive my car in the Michigan tropical depression today and when I went out to the garage tonight I noticed strange water spotting. They have brown edges and feel kind of sticky. They are all over my hood, and I just recently put a coat of machine super wax on the car. I tried some waterless wash on a couple but did not want to touch the entire hood because it probably is in need of a proper wash. Unfortunately, I can't get to that until Saturday. They take a bit of elbow grease to get off too.
nothin' personal,but it sounds like it got s*it on!..just sayin!
sh8t fallin' from the sky?..he he he!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
I THINK IT WAS THAT PURPLE SYRUP...........THAT DRANK!!! ahahahahah

khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS View Post
tree sap?
I agree, and the longer you allow it to sit there, the more damage it is doing to your paint. You say that you can't get to it until Sunday. I would have been all over the minute I saw it. You can't let that stuff sit on your paint that long. The damage could be permanent. As soon as you read this, you should be headed for your car.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
ouhockeyplayer

Junkman - I am pretty positive it is not tree sap. It is raining here again today and once I got to work I noticed that some of them washed away with the rain water. As Dylan mentioned, I am leaning towards some road contaminates mixed with the rain water. Hopefully they come off nice and easy with some Adams car shampoo Saturday morning.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
I still wouldn't chance it, due to you saying that one spot took some elbow grease. That's a key sign to me that you want no part of that stuff baking on your paint if the sun comes out.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
ouhockeyplayer

Well this is one time then I am thankful we haven't seen the sun in awhile. It's not looking to good until this weekend for Michigan.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I've been getting bits of tree sap and pollen lately, but they did not leave water marks like that.

It probably is road contaminents. I'm glad I also got 3 coats of Rejex on the car with the rain we've had.