Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
2Pacer

Drives: 1967 RS/SS Pace 2011 2SS/RS Pac
Cool 2011 Pace Car stripes & door decals

I know the stripes and door decals were applied at the factory but were they cleared over. They seems raised up much higher than the normal strip kits. I thought the strips were going to be painted on what happened?
2Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Nope... just vinyl like all the rest... except they wrap over all the edges instead of stopping short...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
2Pacer

It's to bad the car is awesome and so much fun to drive. I have a six speed and I want to put the 3m clear car bra on it but I am afraid it will pull the stripes off it if I ever have to remove it.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Maybe someone w/ clear bra experience can help you but I know of one car with just rally stripes change his bra w/ no problems... or at least I didn't hear of problems.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
2Pacer

Since the stripes go down so low I am sure stone chips and road rash will happen. Anyone used the 3M clear Bra yet?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pacer View Post
Since the stripes go down so low I am sure stone chips and road rash will happen. Anyone used the 3M clear Bra yet?
I had it on my 2010 Pace Car and now on the 2011. Here are my thoughts and experience:

Not all kits and installers are created equal. The 2010 kit on the IOM was awesome it covered the entire front bumper and he hand cut the heritage grille, since no kit is out for it yet. Plus 24 inches up the hood, fenders and both mirrors. It was installed by a company who installs it for high end car dealerships. Cost $1,100.00. The 2011 kit on the other hand was installed by a local tint shop. It only covers about 75% of the front bumper and no hand cutting for the heritage grille. As he was installing it I quickly noticed that it cast a slight yellowish tint on the white painted areas, something I did not see on the IOM. I know that both shops used the same 3M film because I saw the rolls before they were cut. I was told that the yellowish tint would go away once the glue dried but to be safe I did not get the hood or mirrors done yet. Cost $375.00. Bottom line "you get what u pay for"! It's only been three weeks since it was installed and I have not had the car out in the sun since last weekend so I will see if the yellowish tint is still there. If it is I will have to make a decision as to if it stays on or not; since I cannot have it discolor the paint for shows.

However, let me say this. There is not much choice if you want to protect your paint and stripes since I am not a big fan of any type of material rubbing the paint and stripes in the wind at highway speeds or the dirt that gets between them and the paint. After having the 3M clear bra on my 2010 Pace Car for over a year I loved the peace of mind it provided just knowing it was there. In addition it did in fact pay for itself as I did get a couple of dings in the clear bra that would have been paint or stripe dings.

I have not had any experience with removal but, the guy who installed it on my 2010 guaranteed me that it would not do any harm to the stripes when removed and I believe him.

Sorry for the book but, I hope my experience helps.
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
2Pacer

5ThGenIndy500,

Thanks for the input. I agree that the installer will be critical. I also have someone I trust who does nothing but high end cars. I want the protection but have heard of the yellow tint issue as well. The installer tells me 3M gaurantees it won't hurt the paint on removal and that they will pay for any repairs if damage is caused. Looks like a good idea to install one.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
There are numerous kit manufacturers out there and all kits are a little different. I have found that Xpel and Proform Designs make the best kits out there. Wrapped edges where possible and maximum coverage.

Now as far as applying the clear bra, I go over vinyl all the time. I however install Avery Nano Fusion and VentureShield Ultra which have a mild adhesive compared to 3M... which is very strong. I would not reccomend going over vinyl with the 3M film as it may bond to the stripes too much... increasing the chance of lifting them down the road. The two films I install are both slicker films... having no orange peel to them, so it looks like the vinyl has been clear coated. Vinyl will get chipped up just like paint if exposed so you need to cover them. Usually those stripe kits are outrageous if needed to be replaced so I would highly recommend getting paint protection film on them. Just go with a good film and installer and you will really be happy you did.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
2Pacer

Thanks for the input. I have decided to use the Xpel kit. I am going to do a bumper kit, hood, fender and mirror kit (24") and a rocker kit with extended coverage