Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
remdds
Floss 'em if you got 'em!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 CGM
Anybody buy a dust cover for your CAI?

Anybody buy a dust cover for your CAI? I read it is a good idea to keep out rain. But I noticed the one for my K&N is kinda pricey for a cloth bag. Is it worth it? Will it decrease HP by reducing air intake?

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, with K&N CAI, CGM w/silver stripes, chromed tail bezels painted, window tint. Wish List: ZL1 (CGM?)
remdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Are you talking about a hydro-shield?

Some of the V6 guys who have gone with the Injen CAI have purchased Hydro-shields to help prevent the ingesting of water as it picks up cold air from the bottom of the inner wheel well.

A true hydro-shield is not supposed to reduce the air intake on a CAI. The filter should be more than competent at filtering out dirt if that is all you're worried about. If you have an oiled filter, it is even better at filtering than a dry filter.

Hope this helps?

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
remdds

K&N calls it a drycharger. Comes in red, blue, black... Supposed to be silicone impregnated to repel water. Seems to me though it'd reduce airflow. And the K&N has a heatshield all around anyway that should also keep out the water.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, with K&N CAI, CGM w/silver stripes, chromed tail bezels painted, window tint. Wish List: ZL1 (CGM?)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
remdds

Anybody have an opinion?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You mean a hydroshield? Yes. A lot of people with Injens or long tube CAIs use them. It's essentially just a pre-filter
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I have the Cold Air Inductions CAI on my car...fully enclosed with a see through cover and there is no water at all getting into it. If you had some sort of ram air hood directing air into the air cleaner, you might want to invest in the "drycharger".

That is honestly the only way I can see water getting into your air filter unless you are picking up from the bottom of the car where it will/can get splashed with water.

Mind you, if you're really nervous about water getting in, then it might be something you would want to buy for peace of mind.

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
remdds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
Mind you, if you're really nervous about water getting in, then it might be something you would want to buy for peace of mind.
My K&N isn't sealed but it is very well enclosed. But I was a little concerned because I had an '82 Z28 that had a louvre on the hood that popped up on accelerating to suck in additional air into the throttle body. Weeeeelllllll, it also sucked in water (due to the design of the air filter cover) and eventually I bent a rod. Poor design by GM I know but that is still in the back of my mind. I was just looking for advice here from those that are more "in the know" than I.