Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
JBuzzy11

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Paint work... No cover for 3 months!!!

I hade my GFX painted and installed and I also had my door and trunk repainted due to paint drips from factory and paint chips under the spoiler. The guy did KILLER work, fantastic... NOW SOMEONE TOLD ME NOT TO COVER MY CAR FOR 3 MONTHS!!! is this true? If so, why?
I always cover my car...

Injen CAI, JBA headers, MRT V1.0 exhaust, Trifecta tune.
JBuzzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Because covering your car is terrible for the paint, especially so for new paint.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
From the limited knowledge I know about painting and having a car completely repainted in the past. The way it was explained to me is the paint needs time to fully cure and can take anywhere from 1-3 months. There are fumes that you can smell for a while coming from the paint as it cures. If you cover the car it can trap the fumes and damage the paint via bubbles in the paint. This is why your not supposed to wax or use a sealant for 3 months also.

Factory paint jobs don't have this issue as they are painted before any materials that cannot take the high heat baking process are added. Non factory painting can't bake the paint at the same high temps as your interior would melt. So it takes a lot longer to cure.

As far as covering a car normally I don't think there is anything wrong with that, other than the cover potentially scratching the paint.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
paint needs to breath and cure
Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
From the limited knowledge I know about painting and having a car completely repainted in the past. The way it was explained to me is the paint needs time to fully cure and can take anywhere from 1-3 months. There are fumes that you can smell for a while coming from the paint as it cures. If you cover the car it can trap the fumes and damage the paint via bubbles in the paint. This is why your not supposed to wax or use a sealant for 3 months also.

Factory paint jobs don't have this issue as they are painted before any materials that cannot take the high heat baking process are added. Non factory painting can't bake the paint at the same high temps as your interior would melt. So it takes a lot longer to cure.

As far as covering a car normally I don't think there is anything wrong with that, other than the cover potentially scratching the paint.

It's not potentially, it's absolutely going to scratch the paint. Covers should only be used if the car is not going to be used for a long period of time, and then should only be put on a freshly washed car.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
cruznls
cruznls

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
A Body Shop once told us not to use any kind of soap...
Wash the car in cold water only, until the paint cures.. Approx. 90 days.
cruznls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
I jsut had my front facia repainted, adn a lottle BOO BOO on the fender.....not only should you NOT cover it.....you should NOT WAX IT EITHER, for the time that your painter told you to....when you COVER up the paint with wax, it doesn't allow it to breathe while it cureing....if you don't allow it to cure properly, it could discolor the paint and make it take on a different hue ot the color.