Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
bennettag10
me like fast cars
 
bennettag10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2500 Silverado, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 39
iPhone 3g questions...

ok... so i'm sure that plugging in an iphone to the usb outlet will let the stereo control the ipod part of the iphone... but here is my main question... will the bluetooth still work while it is connected to the radio? and will the 3G iPhone charge when connected?

the reason I ask the second question about the 3G charging is because the new 3G phone is not as compatible with charging as the old iPhone and regular ipods...

i know not too many people have had access to the car, but good guesses are always welcome
bennettag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
2ssJB
Software Engineer
 
2ssJB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 98
Send a message via Yahoo to 2ssJB
I have the original iPhone and went to the dealer today and plugged it into a CTS with the "same" connectivity package as the camaro. That's what the Gm said, I'm not sure if it's true. The iPhone immediatley connected and was charging. I turned it on and switched to aux and my songs started playing. Maybe you should try the same thing and let us know what you find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettag10 View Post
ok... so i'm sure that plugging in an iphone to the usb outlet will let the stereo control the ipod part of the iphone... but here is my main question... will the bluetooth still work while it is connected to the radio? and will the 3G iPhone charge when connected?

the reason I ask the second question about the 3G charging is because the new 3G phone is not as compatible with charging as the old iPhone and regular ipods...

i know not too many people have had access to the car, but good guesses are always welcome
__________________
___________________________________________
2SS/RS Victory Red, M6, Black Rally's, Moon-Roof

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." M. Gandhi
2ssJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,890
The 3G probably will not charge ,but it will play music and the bluetooth will work while connected . My 1g iphone charge ,but the 3G will not.
__________________

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,684
Ok, I have had my 3G in Number 3. It will charge, and you can recieve calls over bluetooth while it is connected via the USB and playing music. Just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago. When you hang up, your music starts playing again.

Very nice. The only issue I have is the iphone (and apparently other apple products) are not configured to stream the music using bluetooth.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
bennettag10
me like fast cars
 
bennettag10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2500 Silverado, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 39
thanks number 3! I've been wondering this for a long time. It makes me very happy the 3g will charge
bennettag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, I have had my 3G in Number 3. It will charge, and you can recieve calls over bluetooth while it is connected via the USB and playing music. Just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago. When you hang up, your music starts playing again.

Very nice. The only issue I have is the iphone (and apparently other apple products) are not configured to stream the music using bluetooth.

That means I can use my 13 inch Studio XPS laptop, I have an internal bluetooth module that supports:

Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) and also HFP1.5

which means that I can stream music from my laptop via Windows Media Player, not to mention I can charge it at the same time

something I can't do with my MyGiG without modding the software, the Camaro may not have nav but THIS IS SOME FLY SHIT


Edit- I not sure you are able to do this with a Macbook and I tunes because apples bluetooth modules are weird, let me look into this
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
ArcAngel


 
ArcAngel's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manalapan-NJ
Posts: 2,872
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
hey nexus you should check your 3G it should charge
__________________
Through HIM you believe in GOD, who raised HIM from the dead and Glorified him..
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,279
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, I have had my 3G in Number 3. It will charge, and you can recieve calls over bluetooth while it is connected via the USB and playing music. Just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago. When you hang up, your music starts playing again.

Very nice. The only issue I have is the iphone (and apparently other apple products) are not configured to stream the music using bluetooth.
Awesome! I was hoping this was the case. I too have a 3G iPhone, I have found with a pair of head phones I have that have a dongle that plugs into the bottom of iPods it allows the iPod to transmit audio via bluetooth to the headset and pauses the music when a call comes in. Much the same way the iPhone 3G pauses when a call comes in, minus the ability to transfer music audio via bluetooth, so this nifty headset I bought for my iPod/RAZR V3xx does not work with my iPhone 3G... because it does not accept streaming audio as you mentioned... anyway long story short, I was hoping that by plugging the 3G ino the USB of the Camaro that it would 1- charge it, 2 play the music through it, and 3 pause the music and link to the bluetooth in the car to answer the phone.! Sounds like it does, great news.

I do have one question though, when plugged in, do you lose control of the iPhones MP3 player and is it soley controled through the head unit? or does it still allow you to choose music from the phone directly without having to unplug it? Or is there an option in the head unit (such is the case in my after market Pioneer in my FJ) that allows you to control the iPhone from the head unit AND from the iPhone at the same time?
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner
 
Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, I have had my 3G in Number 3. It will charge, and you can recieve calls over bluetooth while it is connected via the USB and playing music. Just talked to my wife 5 minutes ago. When you hang up, your music starts playing again.

Very nice. The only issue I have is the iphone (and apparently other apple products) are not configured to stream the music using bluetooth.
Question: Is skipping tracks controls on the steering wheel or do I have to take my eye off the road to hit 'seek' on the dash? I'm completely used to doing this on the wheel without taking my eye off the road now.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkyLuv View Post
Question: Is skipping tracks controls on the steering wheel or do I have to take my eye off the road to hit 'seek' on the dash? I'm completely used to doing this on the wheel without taking my eye off the road now.
If it interfaces with the head unit, it should work, the knobs on the steering wheel
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner
 
Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
If it interfaces with the head unit, it should work, the knobs on the steering wheel
Good because on the training videos they only show them using the dash. I'd hate to lose the steering wheel functionality.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Awesome! I was hoping this was the case. I too have a 3G iPhone, I have found with a pair of head phones I have that have a dongle that plugs into the bottom of iPods it allows the iPod to transmit audio via bluetooth to the headset and pauses the music when a call comes in. Much the same way the iPhone 3G pauses when a call comes in, minus the ability to transfer music audio via bluetooth, so this nifty headset I bought for my iPod/RAZR V3xx does not work with my iPhone 3G... because it does not accept streaming audio as you mentioned... anyway long story short, I was hoping that by plugging the 3G ino the USB of the Camaro that it would 1- charge it, 2 play the music through it, and 3 pause the music and link to the bluetooth in the car to answer the phone.! Sounds like it does, great news.

I do have one question though, when plugged in, do you lose control of the iPhones MP3 player and is it soley controled through the head unit? or does it still allow you to choose music from the phone directly without having to unplug it? Or is there an option in the head unit (such is the case in my after market Pioneer in my FJ) that allows you to control the iPhone from the head unit AND from the iPhone at the same time?
Not sure, I'll have to check, I've only used the radio. I guess if you want to use the ipod/iphone then you can use the regular audio jack.

I'll check it and get back to you.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
If it interfaces with the head unit, it should work, the knobs on the steering wheel


__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
hey nexus you should check your 3G it should charge
i havent had a chance to check it on a camaro.i just assumed you couldn't,because on my alpine a 1G charges and the 3G does not .But then again my alpine does not use a usb ,it uses a special cable. I hadn't thought about that before answering .
__________________

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.