Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #71
adc174

Drives: 2010
radio freq... it senses the presence of the card or key and allows the car to be started when the correct rf key is in range...problem is some of the rf offer good range like 6-10 feet so if the card is left on the work bench when cara is parked in garage you can get in and start it and drive away...only to shut off and be left stranded....the system i installed i actually relocated the fact key cyl to a spot in the car and hid a key so if all else fail i can still start up also have a back up card in wallet with built in "barcode override" that gets scanned to allow doors to open and car to start with no rf key.....im pretty covered...alot of people dont like them , say they are for people too lazy to turn a key. its diffrent, i love it no key in pockets, nothing to carry...i actually want to do another one in my 2 work trucks cause its a pleasure...
adc174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #72
adc174

Drives: 2010
i get the stupidity award for not reading the prev posts....my bad..
adc174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #73
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
What does RFD mean?

Unless you're talking about word below Camaro on the key tag which I'm pretty sure says red.
You're probably right now that I see it. My mind just went to RFD (Radio Frequency Device) as a shortened version of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification), which is used in a lot of applications, notably to start your engine with a button & proximity sensor.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

If I was wrong, then I plead that my mind was corrupted by too many TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) from being around the military for 20 years.

In any case, I asked Allanski about the start mechanism and hopefully we'll know what we're dealing with very soon.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #74
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
my daily driver BMW has one. i love it.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #75
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
An engine start button is a relatively low priority for me with regard to the ZL1. Performance is much more important to me than having an engine start button. I'm willing to insert and turn a key. It's all about trade offs for me, and I'd like to see every last engineering effort put in to maximizing performance, rather than putting it into to "cool" marketing features. That's just my opinion.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #76
Scarrzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
An engine start button is a relatively low priority for me with regard to the ZL1. Performance is much more important to me than having an engine start button. I'm willing to insert and turn a key. It's all about trade offs for me, and I'd like to see every last engineering effort put in to maximizing performance, rather than putting it into to "cool" marketing features. That's just my opinion.

I'm with you 100% there GoldenBear. Imminently logical mindset.

I just wonder which way they decided to go.

You were quite right about the tag saying RED, Shurenuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
The key tag said RED not RFD

[/ATTACH]

I give myself the dreaded

( I had a Big Bang Theory moment)
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #77
Scarrzz

We have an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
This ZL1 started with the key.

Just few notes, we did the plant tour with one of Detroit's top Camaro design team, I wont say who because I tried discreetly to get inside info for the 2 hours we went through the production line and he gave a few hints of things to come plus other discussion at Oshawa with staff:

People didnt like the centre consol button door lock so all camaros will have have door lock controls on the door panels, engineers are trying to use a European style and technology but North Americans like what they are used to

The vert may see a new color rag top available in the future???

No new colors that I heard of for the Camaros

GM designers really do listen to the Camaro owners and they know that if people ask for it with enough emphasis and postings such as C5 they will try to accomodate as with the announcement of the ZL1 Automatic!
So if you really want it - Ask for it.
Here are some more pics

ZL1 Rocks

For now, we carry a key.

Works for me.

Thanks Allanski, you lucky, lucky guy.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #78
mondain

Drives: toyota
If we get keyless start, I just hope GM doesn't screw it up like BMW did. Unless you purchase the "Comfort Access" package (which I believe was renamed to something else in 2010?) you still get "pushbutton start" -- provided you put the key fob into a slot in the dash first.

Which gains you nothing, and is a waste of the the concept.

If you're going to do pushbutton start, this day and age, you have to do true RFD. Keyfob in pocket, pushbutton start.

The idea isn't for everyone, which is why I suggest it for an Option and not a Standard feature. But keep in mind this is touted as the "most technologically advanced Camaro ever". Do I think GM can add tech features like this to the ZL1 and not 1) destroy bottom line pricing, and 2) still remain true to the ZL1 musclecar heritage? Absolutely. Which is why I will continue to push for features like this and MyLink for our ZL1.

However when I see the keyfob like in the photo in this thread, I realize that 99% of the feature decisions for the ZL1 have already been made, and unfortunately do not include features like MyLink or keyless start :(
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #79
mondain

And for whomever said a problem might be that they could start their car with the fob inside the house, drive away, and then be unable to restart the car once they are away from the house...that is easily solved by RFD software to 'scan' for the fob every few seconds (like it normally does anyway) and identify when 1) the engine is running and in gear, and 2) the fob is no longer within close proximity -- and then sound off a chime or other alert to tell the driver they left without the actual fob.

This is not a difficult solution to envision or program for. I would feel really bad if GM engineers couldn't think of that.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #80
coolman

A Start button is a trinket that has no real usefulness. I could careless that the camaro doesn't have one.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #81
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
A Start button is a trinket that has no real usefulness. I could careless that the camaro doesn't have one.
It's a convenience feature, like power windows, air conditioning, or radio. Treat it as such.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #82
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
It's a convenience feature, like power windows, air conditioning, or radio. Treat it as such.
I don't see that angle. Now we're so lazy that we can't put a key in and turn it on. It's just another thing to fail if you ask me.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #83
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Didn't the Old 427 cobra's have push button start?
That's a pretty manly car.

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #84
mondain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I don't see that angle. Now we're so lazy that we can't put a key in and turn it on. It's just another thing to fail if you ask me.
Just like we're too lazy to manually crank windows up or down, hand-crank a sunroof open, or lean over and pull up the door lock rather than push a button. Like I said, it's a convenience feature.

Statistically it probably has less chance of failing than a traditional key -- which we only use, mind you, because keys/tumblers are an oldschool mechanical way to allow/deny access. Keyed ignitions have way more moving parts, and thus things to 'break' than a keyless entry. If you've ever had your key get stuck in the ignition and wont release because of steering lock or brake-interlock, than you've experienced a 'failure' of this old system.

Current ignition using a key is electronic anyway, all the key tumblers do is identify the key. After that, it's the same circuit closing to engage a starter, and even that is ECU controlled.

It's not another thing to fail, it's simply an alternate thing to fail.

Tags
engine, start button, zl1