Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Guys with Upgraded Clutch Setups.....Have a question

I am researching and getting ready for my SC install. My car is one of those MN6 cars that has a notchy 1-2 shift and will on occasion give a bit of a synchro grind. It isn't bad and isn't everytime, so it could be me.

I have read in other threads of SEVERAL owners experiencing grinding issues so I am afraid mine may get worse. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96243

There is much debate as to the cause with GM saying what problem, some owners saying it only does it cold, some saying it doesn't do it at all, some saying it is synchros and others saying it could be the clutch setup.....etc.

Have any of you had this notchy shift and how did changing over to an aftermarket clutch setup affect it?

TIA
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Mine does it from 2nd to 3rd and I have tried 2 different aftermarket clutches and it doesnt change it at all. The notchy feel is all the synchros, a new clutch wont help at all.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
I am researching and getting ready for my SC install. My car is one of those MN6 cars that has a notchy 1-2 shift and will on occasion give a bit of a synchro grind. It isn't bad and isn't everytime, so it could be me.

I have read in other threads of SEVERAL owners experiencing grinding issues so I am afraid mine may get worse. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96243

There is much debate as to the cause with GM saying what problem, some owners saying it only does it cold, some saying it doesn't do it at all, some saying it is synchros and others saying it could be the clutch setup.....etc.

Have any of you had this notchy shift and how did changing over to an aftermarket clutch setup affect it?

TIA

Try a shifter. I didn't like the way my 6 SPEED SHIFTED so I put in a new shifter, problem solved. Was really clunky before, almost like the old saginaw tranny's . I was worried when I first got the car, because I loved the way my 5th gneration T56's shifted and was disappointed after getting my new camaro until I put a short throw RIP shift on and dumped the skip shift feature.... all is good now.

2010 SS/RS LS3, 21" Rims, SLP lowering Kit & sway bars, TVS2300, Hennesy CAI, Kooks LT Headrers & Cats, Corsa Exhaust, RIP Shift ST shifter, SLP Hood & Spoiler, Slp Black out package - Grill SS & Rear SS Emblems, ADM Dual Fuel Pump , 3.6 upper Pulley, 10% overdriven Innovators West Crank Pulley& Pin Kit.

.................................................. ..............................
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Blitzman
173rd Paratrooper

Drives: Summit White SS
Change to a short throw I've had no issues on the shop car since switching over. Most of my customers grab a shifter early on and haven't had any complaints. We use Barton Industries.
American Racing Headers
Thunder Racing Cam
Walker Bullet Exhaust
DSS 1400hp Axles
Barton Industries Shifter
ADM Boost/AFR Gauges
Blitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
I already have a short throw shifter....it's the Hurst factory upgrade. Mine is bearable....I am more worried about what it will grow into in the future.

Not a big deal either way.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Mine does it from 2nd to 3rd and I have tried 2 different aftermarket clutches and it doesnt change it at all. The notchy feel is all the synchros, a new clutch wont help at all.
Agree 100%. I upgraded to the aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, and although it's great that the shifts are shorter, it's still tight and notchy, and I don't like the wobble.
Seems to me the whole shifter system needs replacement.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote