Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #51
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
so i hate to be the barer of bad news but misfires happen because these reasons. plug which you have changed, coil pack, coil, or valves arnt opening and low compression, bad gas, or vac leak....i just recently had my lifters replaced and it went bad on me again because the lifter tray had wore down and the lifter had turned sideways and started beating down on the cam and wore it down and that made the cam bad....p0300 is multiple misfires not just one need to look deeper and its unfortunate....i dont know if we able to get it but gm has a new software call gme...check the injectors see if they are firing as well might want to take it to a dealer and see if they can find whats wrong

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #52
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I'd also check with Jessika at Magnuson. She's a GREAT gal and loves to help. She's also very knowledgeable mechanically, and if she doesn't know she has resources to ask. They can point you to some common areas on the blower to check for this type of issue just to cover all the bases.
:blush: Thank you. I wish we had answers on this one. But I think this thread has covered all the bases that we would suggest.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #53
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: 2009 Dodge Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyj9h View Post
so i hate to be the barer of bad news but misfires happen because these reasons. plug which you have changed, coil pack, coil, or valves arnt opening and low compression, bad gas, or vac leak....i just recently had my lifters replaced and it went bad on me again because the lifter tray had wore down and the lifter had turned sideways and started beating down on the cam and wore it down and that made the cam bad....p0300 is multiple misfires not just one need to look deeper and its unfortunate....i dont know if we able to get it but gm has a new software call gme...check the injectors see if they are firing as well might want to take it to a dealer and see if they can find whats wrong
I don't think it's anything super serious, as the plugs tell the tale and they looked a OK to me.

Misfires are a problem if they occur with any regularity, but he's not reporting that as an issue any longer. That could have been (and likely was) occurring because the blower was blowing out the spark since it happened on a hard rev of the motor. Like I said on forced induction cars you wanna tighten the plug gap a hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@Magnacharger View Post
:blush: Thank you. I wish we had answers on this one. But I think this thread has covered all the bases that we would suggest.
Jessika you are my girl!

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #54
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
My opinion is that you are not going to get anywhere until you get a scan tool on it and a smoke machine to find the leak assuming there is one.

You can chase Gremlins like this for a month and not find it.
Ok. I'll try and find a diagnostic shop. Mike, at Vengeance, had it all hooked up over the weekend. He is pretty thorough from what I hear. He assured me that everything is reading optimaly. Before I left Atlanta, I asked if they couls set it back to where it was before I got there or at least turn the idle up so it wouldn't die on me. Previously it wasn't. They said they would, but that it would be wrong. My car wasn't set right before. But probably to keep the car from dying. I can tell you there is noticeably less carbon funk on my exhaust tips since Vengeance tuned it.

So my decisions were to find leave the tune the same and find the problem, or set it back to a richer and wrong tuning to buy more time. I chose the first one. Car still drives great. Just will die at low idle in gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oSS View Post
really sounds like its missing a spark. This happened to me when i put my new wires on, one wire was just not all the way snug.

I have seen vacuum leaks cause cars to idle ruff but usually the idle will be so jerky that the car will die.

Another thing you can do if your thinking leak. There are mics that listen in small areas where you can follow your lines and listen for the hiss.

Vacuum leaks can be the lines or even the valley gasket.
Not gonna buy any more diagnostic tools. Except a cylinder temp gun. I want to check the cylinders as they idle to get the temp. It could tell me which one is misfiring if any. But the rest is gonna be left to a shop. I'll ask the shop if they have mics.

Quote:
OK, plugs look fine, so I don't think there's problems with that.

I agree that a scan tool needs to get on the car and check out some parameters.

Hook the tool up and let the car idle.

Take a look at long term and short term fuel trims. If they're very positive that could indicate a vac leak somewhere.

Take a look at O2 sensors make sure they're enabled and reporting properly.

Take a look at the timing, specifically when the hesitation occurs. See if when the hesitation occurs you see a quick dip to negative timing.

Also take a look at the TPS setting when the hesitation occurs as well to see what it's doing.

Also, do you have a catch can on the car? If so, does it fill up with oil more quickly than normal? Double check the PCV valve make sure it's orientated properly. Had a friend put one in backwards once and have some weirdness.

I'd also do the smoke machine as well.

I'd also check with Jessika at Magnuson. She's a GREAT gal and loves to help. She's also very knowledgeable mechanically, and if she doesn't know she has resources to ask. They can point you to some common areas on the blower to check for this type of issue just to cover all the bases.
What type of scan tool are we talking about? Vengeance did that. Only thing he said was cylinder 8 was the only one that read a mis at all and that it wasn't hardly anything. Problem for me here in Mobile, AL is I can't find anyone who knows what they are doing as far as this stuff goes. They can hook it up, and look at it, but they don't know what to look for. And so if they see it, they don't know what to do. I've had 3 or 4 shops take a look now and none can figure it out. Everyone wants to run from the supercharged car.

Quote:
My dealer will change the oil and that's it. They won't do anytning else. Neither one. I've asked. I even explained to them that I understand there is no warranty, I just want them to do the work, and they still say no.

Quote:
I don't think it's anything super serious, as the plugs tell the tale and they looked a OK to me.

Misfires are a problem if they occur with any regularity, but he's not reporting that as an issue any longer. That could have been (and likely was) occurring because the blower was blowing out the spark since it happened on a hard rev of the motor. Like I said on forced induction cars you wanna tighten the plug gap a hair.
I'll get started on the stuff I can try tomorrow night. Then Friday take it to a shop. Just been busy as hell. I got my catch can and breather in yesterday. I'm not sure if I should wait to install it, or do it now. The PCV thing you said is interesting. Maybe I'll just do the oil breather cap first.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #55
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

My dealer will change the oil and that's it. They won't do anytning else. Neither one. I've asked. I even explained to them that I understand there is no warranty, I just want them to do the work, and they still say no.
so your dealer is turning down free labor? wow id run that up warranty or not its still a gm car and dont know if legally they can turn you away from that ill ask jeff

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #56
PQ
Booooosted.

Ok, headed to work. Had to get an oil change this morning. Gonna stop and get some seafoam and try it in the gas tank. Maybe a fouled injector. Can't hurt.

No, Jessika, I won't run it through the blower.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #57
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
so your dealer is turning down free labor? wow id run that up warranty or not its still a gm car and dont know if legally they can turn you away from that ill ask jeff
Jeff?

Dealer says they don't work on aftermarket performance cars. What it is I suspect is they don't trust their mechanics to do it with the supercharger on it.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #58
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Quote:
Jeff?

Dealer says they don't work on aftermarket performance cars. What it is I suspect is they don't trust their mechanics to do it with the supercharger on it.
thats a lie....ill find out for ya....gm installs aftermarket parts. so they do work on them

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #59
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
thats a lie....
In Alabama they run from modded cars, quickly. Mines is only cammed and they run.

You may have to just take it to a shop that does that kind of work and let them see what they can do if all else fails.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #60
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
In Alabama they run from modded cars, quickly. Mines is only cammed and they run.
wow sounds like gm needs to do some clean-up in alabama

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #61
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:

I agree. You should live here.

They are thinking about liability cause I asked and are afraid of their techs not knowing and messing things up, especially if the car is tuned like mine.

They do minor stuff but nothing powertrain related. This is the reason I have to go 3 hours to Vengeance to have any work done.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #62
anthonyj9h
"First There"

god forbid something wrong actually happens down there holy crap....id run that up the chain if i were you guys

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #63
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
god forbid something wrong actually happens down there holy crap....id run that up the chain if i were you guys
The problem I see in my area is that they "Claim" that their techs are only trained on standard cars. They actually had a Calloway Vette come in that they could not work on. The Vette came that way from the factory. Not alot of mechanics just computer techs and parts changers.

For example it took them 4 hours to install my GM axle back, 4 hours WTF and I sat there and watched.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #64
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: 2009 Dodge Challenger
Well, if the dealer is reluctant it's probably best you don't let them fool with the car. Most dealers around here are nothing more than parts changers. I know more about these cars than the guys in the shop most of the time, so no I never let a dealership touch my hot rod, but I've got a few years of experience fooling with this kind of stuff. I understand not everybody has that luxury, and finding a good shop is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

I'll check with some buddies and see if they know of any good places in Alabama that you can go to.

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage since my Magnuson is on a Challenger, but mine came with a Predator tuner tool. I can hook it up to my car through OBDII, connect it to my laptop, fire up the Diablo DataViewer software and data log just about anything I want. Timing, command air fuel, O2 sensor, knock sensor, long term and short term fuel trims, you name it. Did your Maggie not come with something similar? My Predator will also read and clear CEL codes.

Do you have gauges in your car? I'd HIGHLY suggest you get at least a boost and wide band air fuel ratio gauge. They're imperative in forced induction cars and can give you early warning when there are problems. I put a Aeroforce Interceptor in my Challenger and it hooks up to my OBDII port and will read and display nearly every single engine parameter.

For wide band AFR I use a LC-1. It connects to the Aeroforce Interceptor so it'll read AFR along with the other pids from the cars computer. Pretty slick and clean.

Here's a pic of my gauge setup for reference. Once we get your problem solved I'd put this on the very next thing to get done.

The top gauge is obviously a mechanical boost gauge, I like to see a needle at quick glance, but the Interceptor will display it digitally if you want. On the Interceptor it's showing air fuel ratio (should be 14s at idle like mine shows) and ignition timing. That's usually how I leave it but it'll show up to 8 different pids in a cycle if you want. It'll flip to two more every 10 seconds or so. For air fuel ratio I like that gauge to be digital since you want to see 10ths. When I mat it the AFR drops to 11.5ish or so and timing changes according to IAT to avoid detonation.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #65
anthonyj9h
"First There"

yep if they dont have the mechs to do everything then there is a prob in that area.....hope a zr1 or cts-v doesnt come would love to hear the story on that one

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #66
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Well hopefully Randy can find this leak and it is not the body of the Supercharger having a crack in it.

Not to be funny but do think this is the reason the guy sold it? Is there a way to check the body for cracks? Just throwing ideas out.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #67
anthonyj9h
"First There"

that i dont know

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #68
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Pm me next time you want to ride to atlanta I know a shop that can find the problem ill promise you that. I also dont believe its an air leak.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #69
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Quote:
in this pic looks like 4 are a lil rich and the others are good...maybe its the lighting

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #70
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
The plugs look fine.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #71
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
thats a lie....ill find out for ya....gm installs aftermarket parts. so they do work on them
Every dealer has the option to work on what they want I guess.

Quote:

You may have to just take it to a shop that does that kind of work and let them see what they can do if all else fails.
I think I got someone in Atlanta. Will not charge me a dime and even pay my gas if they can't find and fix it. Just don't know what the cost would be. Didn't want to ask.

Quote:
They already did. hahaha, This area sucks for performance.

Quote:
I agree. You should live here.

They are thinking about liability cause I asked and are afraid of their techs not knowing and messing things up, especially if the car is tuned like mine.

They do minor stuff but nothing powertrain related. This is the reason I have to go 3 hours to Vengeance to have any work done.

Quote:
Maybe it's why Bay Chevrolet isn't alotted any ZR1s. lol

Quote:
For example it took them 4 hours to install my GM axle back, 4 hours WTF and I sat there and watched.
OMFG. Borla? I can do that in like 30 minutes. ON THE GROUND. hahaha

Quote:
I'm at a bit of a disadvantage since my Magnuson is on a Challenger, but mine came with a Predator tuner tool. I can hook it up to my car through OBDII, connect it to my laptop, fire up the Diablo DataViewer software and data log just about anything I want. Timing, command air fuel, O2 sensor, knock sensor, long term and short term fuel trims, you name it. Did your Maggie not come with something similar? My Predator will also read and clear CEL codes.

Do you have gauges in your car?
Ours comes with SCT. I can do all that same stuff, but I left it in Atlanta with Vengeance so Mike could try and put my tune on it. They use EFI Live.

No gauges yet. But I will get some.

Quote:
yep if they dont have the mechs to do everything then there is a prob in that area.....hope a zr1 or cts-v doesnt come would love to hear the story on that one

Quote:
Well hopefully Randy can find this leak and it is not the body of the Supercharger having a crack in it.

Not to be funny but do think this is the reason the guy sold it? Is there a way to check the body for cracks? Just throwing ideas out.

I hope not. I doubt it, it didn't have any signs of being dropped or anything. Plus, Tim would have known. Would suck like hell though. I believe I'd be shit out of luck. (no acronym for requred dramatic effect, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Pm me next time you want to ride to atlanta I know a shop that can find the problem ill promise you that. I also dont believe its an air leak.
Chris@HPS talked to me. He's the shop that gave me the offer. If I can't find it, I may let them try.

Quote:
in this pic looks like 4 are a lil rich and the others are good...maybe its the lighting
Dark garage last night and iPhone. lol
Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #72
Chris@HPS

Drives: 2005corvette
You can use a noid light to check #8injector( I think I read # 8 somewhere you thought was misfire). Put it on the injector and let the car idle and see what the light will do when it misfires. Honestly, I am not sure why the issue wasn't found while scanning the car. There is enough pids and sensors in the scanner to find almost anything wrong with the car. You should of never had to pay especially, if the problem did not get fixed!

Chris
Chris@HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #73
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Just FYI, GM does make sure that if a dealer is not trained on a certain vehicle then they do not have to perform warranty work or otherwise on it.
With the factory supercharged cars they have all of the documentation from GM on it, as well as support from the GM Tech line. Which does make it easier (for the ZR1 and CTS-V). While the Magnuson & the factory superchargers share the same rotors, they are different installations.
Since they are typically not skilled diagnosticians I doubt they (a GM tech) would be able trouble shoot a problem that is not on the surface & easy to pinpoint.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #74
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Quote:
Just FYI, GM does make sure that if a dealer is not trained on a certain vehicle then they do not have to perform warranty work or otherwise on it.
With the factory supercharged cars they have all of the documentation from GM on it, as well as support from the GM Tech line. Which does make it easier (for the ZR1 and CTS-V). While the Magnuson & the factory superchargers share the same rotors, they are different installations.
Since they are typically not skilled diagnosticians I doubt they (a GM tech) would be able trouble shoot a problem that is not on the surface & easy to pinpoint.
true but they can scan it with the new software and troubleshoot from there based on the code and si it gives them

it is written......
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #75
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@HPS View Post
You can use a noid light to check #8injector( I think I read # 8 somewhere you thought was misfire). Put it on the injector and let the car idle and see what the light will do when it misfires. Honestly, I am not sure why the issue wasn't found while scanning the car. There is enough pids and sensors in the scanner to find almost anything wrong with the car. You should of never had to pay especially, if the problem did not get fixed!

Chris
While I do agree with you, and Mike said in an e-mail he could fix it with the tune ..... all we agreed was that he'd tune it. I assumed it would take care of it just like Mike did. We were wrong. Not their fault that I have a problem outside of tuning. It really really sucks. But Mike just said he could fix it. We never agreed he would. Just that I'd get the tune and HOPE it would. If I could go back and do it differently, I would. I'd have used that 600.00 to find the problem. But there was no way to know. So I am not justified, imo to jump on Vengeance. I thought about it. I was on the fence. But I'm not a mechanic or tuner. So all I could do is try one. If that wasn't it, then continue on. I gambled wrong. So I'll have to try this. If I can't fix it, I'll bring it to you. I'm just tired of throwing money at it and not getting it fixed. I know you gave me the gaurantee, but if I can fix it without spending too much, I'd prefer that.

Quote:
Quote:
true but they can scan it with the new software and troubleshoot from there based on the code and si it gives them
I got no faith in ANY GM dealer based on the way the two I've dealt with down here are. In fairness, Terri Tompson Chevrolet here is a much better service department than Bay Chevrolet, but still can't align 21 inch wheels. And won't work on anything not stock.