Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
RanDMC

Drives: 1LT/SS
Time between Steps

I plan on doing a detail this weekend but I have a lot of other stuff that are on my to do list as well. I really only have the part of saturday and part of Sunday morning to work with, but I'd like to know if I can let my car sit in my garage between steps.

I'm going to do a two bucket wash first (thanks junkman)

I'd like to start claying my car at this point, but I don't know if I'll be able to get the whole thing done.

-Can I do half the car and let is sit for 24 hours before finishing?

(I don't have a PC so I won't be polishing until my end of summer detail when I plan on buying a kit from Adams.)

After the claying I plan on using Adams Buttery Wax, I should be able to get the wax done all in one shot.

-Do I need to wash again after I clay?

-Can I let the car sit after claying (or washing if needed) befre I wax it?
RanDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I think that as long as you keep it garaged, you should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on leaving it outside. I highly recommended that you wash after you finish claying the car.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Because you're not polishing you need to wash after claying. Our system isn't one that you can just omit steps from and have it go 'as planned'.

So if the only things you're doing are washing, claying, and waxing heres what your process should be:

Wash the car
Clay while wet (as long as you have a garage to work in to keep it from water spotting)
Rewash
Dry
Wax

If you have to break the process up definitely need to be keeping the car indoors, if that isn't an option maybe wait until you do have a weekend where you have time to do the whole process in one shot.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote