Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
rock chips!!

so i keep hearing all this talk about rock chips which i luckily don't have yet but since everyone says its inevitable what do you guys find is the best way to repair them besides a complete paint job? (looking up clear bras as we speak by the way)
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
The factory touch up paint bottle works just fine for small chips. I had 3 very small ones on the front fascia down low and i can't even tell where they were unless i look with my eyes like 2 inches away.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
The alternative to a complete paint job is just a matter of getting some touch-up paint and sealing the chips as they happen. For the clear bra, besides the front fascia, consider the rocker panels and rear quarter panels on the gills.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
You guys obviously don't have REAL rock chip problems.

I literally have thousands. REAL tiny but THOUSANDS. Almost like sadblasting. Lower Bama sucks for this.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
You guys obviously don't have REAL rock chip problems.

I literally have thousands. REAL tiny but THOUSANDS. Almost like sadblasting. Lower Bama sucks for this.
Tell me about it. I've stopped trying to keep up with it. It's not that I don't have much consideration for the car, but after a while the nitpicking gets over the top IMO. On top of that, all the roads in my neighborhood were chip-sealed a few weeks ago - in other words: thick gooey oil, loose gravel, and not much you could do about it except keep it under 15.

So now I just focus on keeping the vehicle clean/waxed and enjoy it.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
so i keep hearing all this talk about rock chips which i luckily don't have yet but since everyone says its inevitable what do you guys find is the best way to repair them besides a complete paint job? (looking up clear bras as we speak by the way)
Check out my post about Dr Colorchip. I found it worked quite well.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150988
Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
The best way to repair them is to prevent them! Get a clear bra. I did and I have no chips. A clear bra might seem expensive at first, but it's cheap compared to having the car repainted.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
amber

Drives: 2000 ss camaro
the bumper covers come off in small amount time .the cool thing to have would be a spare bumper cover .one with no rock chips that u have painted to match .then when the one u have is chipped up u transfer fresh one on car and then send the chipped one out to be fixed that way u dont have no down time .only the 2 hours it takes to swap them.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
jshaf

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
all I know is the chips around the gills on the drivers side appear to be in the clear coat and not deep enough to touch up, don't like it but can't find a good way to prevent it or repai it. have to live with it I guess
Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Call GM at 1 800 222 1020 and let them know. We all know it but if no one says anything they'll never do anything about it. They may not repaint our cars but possibly if enough people do complain they will work on improving in this area.

Honestly GM, if Mitsibushi can put paint that lasts on their "flared" cars, you can too.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
the bumper covers come off in small amount time .the cool thing to have would be a spare bumper cover .one with no rock chips that u have painted to match .then when the one u have is chipped up u transfer fresh one on car and then send the chipped one out to be fixed that way u dont have no down time .only the 2 hours it takes to swap them.
For that cost you could get a clear bra and not have to worry about swapping bumpers. I have been around a long time and heard a lot of "solutions" for rock chips, but keeping an extra bumper is a first.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
I wish I had gotten a clear bra on the front and gills. It's too late now. It will need to be repainted at some point, but for now I'm just enjoying it.

Anyone who thinks they can use touch-up paint on this problem is kidding themselves. These gills gets hundreds or thousands of tiny spots. No way.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
PQ

Ever since I widened the front and used an offset to go as far out as possible, my 'Gill' area has taken an insane beating. lol
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ever since I widened the front and used an offset to go as far out as possible, my 'Gill' area has taken an insane beating. lol
Mine are getting pretty bad with just the stock wheels. I can only imagine what wider wheels would kick up.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #15
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
I wish i would have thought about the clear bra when i bought the car. The plan now after touch up after touch up after touch up i'm going the carbon fiber bra so i don't have to look at it anymore. Yes i paid a few extra duckets for the, "Guaranteed to not scratch or harm your paint" so... that's the plan.

Last edited by Bonemaro; 06-06-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
BTetrick59

Drives: 2011 1LT VR, 2005 Ducati S2R
I got with GM @ 1000 miles and got the dealer to agree to repaint or touch up because it was new enough, but had him discount a set of rally strips instead, So when it hit the deer last month I got a new front bumper anyway. who would of thought!
BTetrick59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTetrick59 View Post
I got with GM @ 1000 miles and got the dealer to agree to repaint or touch up because it was new enough, but had him discount a set of rally strips instead, So when it hit the deer last month I got a new front bumper anyway. who would of thought!
I need to hit a deer. lol
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Texas2SS
Loves Nitrous

Drives: Rarely
This is where I lucked out. My bumper had a huge bulge in the side from where the plastic was expanding. The delership took care of that and since they had to repaint the area they repainted the whole front bumper.
Texas2SS is offline   Reply With Quote