Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Clear bra question

What exactly is the clear bra? is it the clear plastic tape like stuff that they wrap your car in? What do you do if the clear bra gets scraped and damaged? Are they able to remove it and replace it with some new stuff without any damage to your paint job? If I wanted to do specific areas of my camaro would you be able to see lines of where the clear bra stops? Does anyone know prices? Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
OPP

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Auto "Blu-Ray"
http://www.clearmask.com/
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...del=LS-1LT-2LT

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
What exactly is the clear bra? is it the clear plastic tape like stuff that they wrap your car in? What do you do if the clear bra gets scraped and damaged? Are they able to remove it and replace it with some new stuff without any damage to your paint job? If I wanted to do specific areas of my camaro would you be able to see lines of where the clear bra stops? Does anyone know prices? Thanks
I had a clear bra installed by a professional. I had the front bumper, front lights and mirrors covered. I had the clear bra end at all the seams in the body so it could not be seen. If it ends in the middle of the hood or fender the edge will be seen. When people look at my car they don't realize there is a clear film on it. It cost $900, but it is worth it. The reason I had a professional do it because it is not very easy to do without being seen.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I had a clear bra installed by a professional. I had the front bumper, front lights and mirrors covered. I had the clear bra end at all the seams in the body so it could not be seen. If it ends in the middle of the hood or fender the edge will be seen. When people look at my car they don't realize there is a clear film on it. It cost $900, but it is worth it. The reason I had a professional do it because it is not very easy to do without being seen.
Same here.
I had clear bra applied to the front facia, the outside mirrors, and the gills on my vert, by a professional that was reccomended to me by Becky at Rodgers Cheverolet.
If you know where to look,and look carefully, you can see it on the mirrors and the front facia, but if you didn't know it was there, you'd never see it.
The gills are a slightly different story. Since there is no factory panel seam along the top horizontal edge of the film, if you know where to look, and th esun is at th eright angle, that seam you can see, but it's still hard to see.
Mine cost me $950 and that included the dealer sending the car to the installer and getting it back for me, so I could drop it off and pick it up from th edealer.

Yes the film can be removed if needed, but it's a very tough and durable 6mil thick film.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I had the clear bra on the front bumper and fascia only for around 350 at Quality Auto Trim. It looks better than a bunch of rock chips, but has been hit hard enough once to take out a chip of paint through the clear. Touch up paint is my friend.
Attached Images

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Note: the clear bra can be applied to as much or as little of your car that you want, including the entire car if you really want.

The front/mirror/gills on a Camaro is a popular combination, but some will also do the rocker panels (I chose not to because I have th efactory quarter flares), and the hood, or at least the front part of th ehood.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Something I will definitely be looking into now. So by adding this there is no point in waxing your car...correct?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
This is not a replacement for wax. It is a protective film to keep the paint from being damaged. You will still need to wax the paint and maintain the film with a good sealant. But by doing so you will keep your car chip free and looking new. Its a great product and there is a ton of information on this forum already answering your questions. Camaros have vey poor paint so a clear bra is a MUST if you care anything about your vehicle. If you have any questions after doing a search that arent answered let me know. I own a mobile installation business and can answer any questions you might have.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote