Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
TDC#2
Driver

Drives: 2011 Black SS
GM 4 Pack Gauge install and pics

One of the things I missed out on my new SS was the gauge pack. Before I even bought the car I had seen pictures of the interior and thought the gauges were cool as hell, and had a cool retro feel to them as well as being functional. I'm not a big interior modification guy, but I knew these were going in when the time was right. Then Gene at GMPARTSHOUSE came out with a new kit that priced better than any I had seen online; even eBay. And it didn't come with cheesy zip ties. So I pulled the trigger and ordered from Gene. Here are my install tips and pics. This is not meant to be a step by step, just some helpful pics and hints.

First, this was the kit I ordered:

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/partlo...catalogid=7587

It came 4 days after I ordered it (tracking number was provided) and everything was packed neatly with plenty of packing material and a set of instructions.

Tip #1: DON'T LEAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS AT WORK

This picture does not include the new wire harness but it was included.

This is the back of the kit. No zip ties here. Everything's held firmly in place:

This was the only tool I used, along with a pair of sharp scissors: A small flathead screwdriver covered with some electrical tape to prevent scratching the plastic.

First I popped the passenger side console trim off by gently starting a corner with the screwdriver and then gently pulling near the clips. You can tell where the clips are by the resistance. It came off easily and I set it aside. It helps to have the seat leaning all the way back.

Next I gently popped an edge of the center console by using my handy screwdriver. I started very carefully and it came up easily.

In order to get the old piece out you have to have it (Auto) in N, or further back. If you leave it in P you won't be able to get the piece out.

Here are the two pieces side by side; disconnected but with the TC switch and lighter still in.

Once you get the console piece out you will see there are several cables connected. Disconnecting them is pretty straight forward except for the cigarette lighter.

To disconnect the TC button you first disconnect the cable running to it and then depress the little plastic wedges on the underside of the switch assembly and push it out/up of the console. I don't have a good pic of this, but as long as you depress both little wedges it will pop up with minimal force (left side of above photo).

The cigarette lighter caused me some headache (and a scratch) so here's the proper way to do it. First, it is a 2-piece assembly: metal and plastic. To get this out you need to pull VERY gently back on the little plastic wedges on either side of the assembly, and start to push the metal insert up and out.

You are successful when the metal insert if completely out. You can then push the plastic insert out of the console. Notice the chip out of the plastic. That was from me trying to pry it out.

Tip #2: DON'T TRY TO PRY THE LIGHTER OUT

Once the TC switch is out you can simply push it into the new console. To put the lighter assembly back in you push the plastic piece in first. There is a small groove on the side of the metal piece which lines up with the plastic insert. Don't try to force it in; just line it up and push it in.

I then decided to make my wire harness connection. The harness is just in front of the parking brake lever.

To connect your new wire harness you simply unplug the existing harness and snap your new harness in between the old pieces. It's hard to mess this part up.

My next step was to wire up my new console. This is pretty straight forward, just connect the wires from the old console onto the new one. Just keep in mind how the old set up was and transfer it over to the new one. This is the pic of them side by side again. I just moved everything over. Easy.

Note: I removed the wires from the little plastic bands with a pair of sharp scissors, being careful to not cut any wire.

Now I put the car back in N to put the new gauge pack in place.

I then ran the new cable (coming off the new hire harness) up under the console so it would be concealed under the new console.

Then you just plug the new cable connection into your new gauge pack in the only slot left (hopefully) and it's connected! It's ALIVE!

Just tuck the wires neatly away under the new console, taking care to leave room around where the lighter contact is. (You'll see it. It's a little silver contact surface under where the lighter makes contact when its depressed). Then gently push the new gauge console back and up, and snap it down. Almost there!

Tip #3: NOW WE DO A SYSTEM CHECK

Go ahead and start the car up and make sure your TC and lighter work. Why? Because if you get in a hurry and don't connect your TC cable you might put everything back together, push your TC button and see nothing happen. You might worry that you jacked your car up and have to disassemble the side panel and console to find out that you forgot the plug the freakin' TC cable in.

TC good? Lighter good? Then we're looking good! Just need to snap the passenger side console panel back in place and clean up using a microfiber cloth. Perfect fit!

How about a night check!

Sweet!

Overall, I would rate this install as novice level. I would say 30-45 minutes would be plenty of time to do this. It took me about 40, and that included the TC scenario I outlined above and the cigarette lighter of death, AND I left the instructions at work!

Sweet mod that not only looks cool, it gives you info about how your car is doing as well. Can't beat it!

Thanks, Gene, for the great product. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help. Thanks!
TDC#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
real_69'SS

Drives: 1969 SS 396
Great install "how to". Maybe you should do a submission to Camaro Performers or Camaro Now . lol !! No seriously looks sweet good job!!!

real_69'SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
sliverice
Account Suspended

Drives: SLIVERICE
very nice i think anyone that has a camaro should have that. not that ugly ash tray
sliverice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
SATXLS3

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew
Nice Job!
SATXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Nojoy33

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Nice. I wish my gauges were still located in the center console. Mine were relocated to the glove box for installation of the Kenwood DNX 7140.
Attached Images

Nojoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
OP - thanks for posting this....really, really helpful for a novice like me. And your tip about the price helps a bunch also. Thanks again.
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Nice write up, thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
CliffjumperRS

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red
crazy, mine didn't come with screws to attach the gauges to the replacement bezel, i had to zip tie mine. i thought something was missing. great write up, wish i'd have had it last month!
2010 1LT/RS GCN | Roto-Fab CAI | MRT V2.0 | Defenderworx: Chrome Shifter, Polished Door Kick Plates, Polished Door Sills, Black Side Vent Inserts, Chrome Bow Ties, Chrome Cup Holder Surround| GM: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Splash Guards, Wheel Mounted Audio Control, PDIM, 4 Gauge Cluster, Footwell & Cupholder Lighting, Switchblade Silver Interior Trim Kit, Premium Floor Mats| Oracle: Aqua Blue Dome & Trunk LED's, Bright White Plate LED's | RS Chrome Valve Stem Caps | Shined by Adam's & Meguiar's
CliffjumperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Dealership where I bought my car sells this for $279.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
Gene Culley

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS/RS
Smile

Thank you for your business and providing the write-up. Our kit is the only kit that has the hardware, just like the factory!
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
TDC#2
Driver

No problem, Gene. Great product at a great price IMO.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #12
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
great write up and pics, now if you can only put in arrows to the clip points. I stil have to install my PDMI as well

And I agree about Gene and Patrick at GMPARTSHOUSE, they are customer service pros
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Great DIY
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
TDC#2
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
great write up and pics, now if you can only put in arrows to the clip points. I stil have to install my PDMI as well

And I agree about Gene and Patrick at GMPARTSHOUSE, they are customer service pros
I'm not sure how to add arrows but I'll check into it. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Gene Culley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post

Thank you for your kind words. The clip points are going to be the white looking retainers spaced out evenly on the gauge bezel on the left side of the photo below (3 per side). You'll also be able to feel when you're trying to pop the bezel off that it kind of stops where those retainers are and you have to pull up a bit and they will release.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #16
illinigar85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS Red Jewel
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos and instructions. I would have never figured out how to do that stupid lighter if is wasn't for your posting. Mine are now installed. Also, thank you to Gene for supplying the complete set of gauges. There is no reason for anybody to go without these gauges. A simple and great addition to the car!!
illinigar85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
TDC#2
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinigar85 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos and instructions. I would have never figured out how to do that stupid lighter if is wasn't for your posting. Mine are now installed. Also, thank you to Gene for supplying the complete set of gauges. There is no reason for anybody to go without these gauges. A simple and great addition to the car!!
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #18
billy2642

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1 Manual
I have a 2011 LS Manual. Is it possible to add the gauge pack or does my car not have the wiring harness that the gauge pack wiring harness plugs in to? I hope this makes sense
2013 VR ZL1 Manual #0801. Airais CAI, More to come........
billy2642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy2642 View Post
I have a 2011 LS Manual. Is it possible to add the gauge pack or does my car not have the wiring harness that the gauge pack wiring harness plugs in to? I hope this makes sense
Yes, you can add it to an LS.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #20
Gene Culley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinigar85 View Post

Thank you for your business. I certainly appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #21
japitzer

Drives: 2011 black lt camaro
Just installed mine today, it took longer to get the hardware to attach the gauge cluster and 35 bucks for it, but took about 25 minutes. but great post
japitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #22
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Very nice job, so everything you needed is in the kit? I would like to do this also.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #23
Gene Culley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
Very nice job, so everything you needed is in the kit? I would like to do this also.
With our kit everything is included to install.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
+1 for GM Parts House - received my gauge cluster a week ago and installed in about 30 to 35 minutes - install is exactly as TDC2 described above.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
Gene Culley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Glide View Post
+1 for GM Parts House - received my gauge cluster a week ago and installed in about 30 to 35 minutes - install is exactly as TDC2 described above.
Thank you for your business.