Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
rayjgreen

Drives: Camaro SS 2 RS
Touch up paint question(s)...

Wasn't sure if this goes in cosmetics as that says maintenance and this isn't a maintenance question, but if so I'll delete and repost there. Sorry.

A few days in and the inevitable happened, someone scuffed the paint while it was parked. Luckily no dings. Called dealership and they said they have a spray and brush on touch up paint and I'm thinking I need the brush on.

Question is, from reading around, it says if the underlying surface is exposed, which it is, primer is needed. I've also read about clear coat needing to be applied after. Given the small scuff/issue, do I need to apply primer, and since it is from GM directly, do I need clear coat (or for this size)? Any other helpful hints on applying this so I don't make the issue worse? It's on the door, right below the crease in the door. Any help appreciated - have no experience in painting at all, let alone on a car, but everything I've read says a layman can do it.

Pic, with enormous glare I couldn't get around from any angle:
Attached Images

rayjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a few nicks in the paint that I fixed with a kit from Dr. Colorchip:

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

It's not 100% perfect, but it's not too bad.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
rayjgreen

Drives: Camaro SS 2 RS
Thanks E.T. Ended up taking it to a paint shop (Tommy's in Denton, TX) and they were kind enough to touch it up for free. Awesome people. Doesn't look new, but hardly noticeable. Good enough for the break in process.
rayjgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cool. Always good to let the pros handle it, especially when it's free

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote