Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Night Owl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
Slammed ok brakes. Tires squeal a little bit now. Fix?

I was driving last week, abiding the limit, and a car has weaved in and out of traffic from behind me and eventually cut me off too. Then he decided to slow down from 60 to 10 in a matter of a few seconds to turn into a chic fil a.

I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. As did everyone behind me. When I did that, I heard my brakes make a weird rubbing noise. Now when I use my brakes like normal, sometimes they squeak, like an old car and sometimes maybe a faint rubbing noise.

Sucks. Is there something I can do to fix it it get it back to normal?

Edit: iPhone mistype. Meant to say on*
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
You used to be able to self adjust them by backing up and applying the brakes. Get going at a decent clip and then brake hard a few times. See if that helps. I locked up some anti-lock brakes once and this little trick helped.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
JEP

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 2SS 6speed
This topic of brake squeal was discussed ad nauseum on the Vette sites I used to frequent.
Here's a do-it-yourself remedy to try for anyone with squeaky brakes.

1. Find a nice straight, safe, preferrably slightly down hill stretch of road with little traffic.
2. Accelerate to around 60 or 70 ( or more if needed).
3. Apply brakes down to 10 or 20 mph, but do not press pedal hard enough to engage ABS nor come to a complete stop..just roll out.
5. Repeat until squeaking is gone.

This can be done periodically even with no squeal to make sure rotors are clean and pads are clean.

Note: If you are having vibration or erratic handling under braking DO NOT try this. Have your brakes looked at for warped rotors or loose brake parts. Also, make sure your brake fluid is topped off and not leaking anywhere prior to stressing the brakes.

hope this helps.
JEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Are you familiar with anti-lock brakes? The "weird rubbing noise" might have been the ABS pulses to the brakes.

You'll probably want to lightly sand the pad and rotor surfaces and then perform the 'bedding in' procedure. Google "bedding in brakes" for a ton of info on the procedure.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
This topic of brake squeal was discussed ad nauseum on the Vette sites I used to frequent.
Here's a do-it-yourself remedy to try for anyone with squeaky brakes.

1. Find a nice straight, safe, preferrably slightly down hill stretch of road with little traffic.
2. Accelerate to around 60 or 70 ( or more if needed).
3. Apply brakes down to 10 or 20 mph, but do not press pedal hard enough to engage ABS nor come to a complete stop..just roll out.
5. Repeat until squeaking is gone.

This can be done periodically even with no squeal to make sure rotors are clean and pads are clean.

Note: If you are having vibration or erratic handling under braking DO NOT try this. Have your brakes looked at for warped rotors or loose brake parts. Also, make sure your brake fluid is topped off and not leaking anywhere prior to stressing the brakes.

hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Zach
66ford pickup

Drives: Still lookin for a camaro
yea when your ABS brakes kicks in you do get that rubbing noise, i would take a look at your brakes cause some times if applied really hard the ABS would warp the rotor a little

1966 F100
352 V8
white/blue
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
crewxp, have you been able to take any of the advice given by your peers here or to find out just what is up with your car at this time? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote