Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #26
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Most everywhere I've been, there's usually only a ~.10 diff in 91 and 93. I always use 93, even before I got the blower and supporting mods.

I'm not going to cheap out on the fuel for car. 0.10/g for even a full tank is nothing compared to the amount of $$ in my car.

Plus, knock on a blower engine isn't something I want to play around with by using lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Around here there is a 30 cent difference between 87 and 93. I've never seen 30 cents between 91 and 93, but maybe its that way in Arizona.

While yes, the SS will run on 87, it will reduce performance significantly. Also note that when reducing performance, usually mpg suffers too. So, you can actually spend more money on 87 than on 93.

Putting anything other than the recommended fuel in the car is just stupid and a waste. Let's say you burn 20 gallons a week, at a 30 cent difference. That's $6 a week for the proper fuel. that's an extra $312 dollars a year. You figure most people have payments, and when you plug that into the overall yearly expense, these cars probably cost everyone at least $4K-$5K a year, whats an extra $312?

The bottom line is, premium is recommended, so that is what I run. And, that is what everyone should run, and if you are that worried about a few extra dollars a fill up, then you bought the wrong car.
X2

.30 between mid grade and premium……..ummm are you sure?

In my performance cars and trucks I’ll run 93 because it proven to run better and give you more HP/MPG. But in my daily driver I have no problem running 87…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
I know for a fact, because I just filled up yesterday, that 87 here was $3.59, 91 was $3.79, and 93 was $3.99

Seems they went from the .10 between grades to .20 between them here. Those prices were from a shell station.
NightOwl RGB Halo Kit V2, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #28
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '112SS/RS'12CruzECO'11CruzeLTZ,Mini
" For best performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 93." Guess it's a good thing we only have 93.
Vengeance Racing 416 Jan '15

SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #29
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 4000 h.p. yellow beasts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
Yeah 89 is cheaper than 87 here, and 91/93 is only 20 cents more than the 89. 89 is $3.49, 87 is $3.63, and I believe 91/93 is $3.69.

If I am not mistaken we get a break on using Ethanol blended fuels because it requires corn and that is the main crop that we farm here in Iowa.

EDIT: Fixed 91/93 price. I said it was $3.59.
this is all i use also in all my cars and not a bit of problems tried 93 for a couple of tankfuls to see any difference and did not notice any thing different other than the cost! wasn't expecting a whole lot because of the V6.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #30
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
My favorite myth is 10% ethanol equals 25% reduction in fuel mileage.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #31
nancygrl
155 mil na godzinę

Drives: Sapphire Moon Whisper 2013 2LT
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

.30 between mid grade and premium……..ummm are you sure?
Yes its not a regular blend like the homeland Michigan. Basically to find it you usually have to go to a station that sells racing fuel and they ain't cheap.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #33
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe h View Post
My favorite myth is 10% ethanol equals 25% reduction in fuel mileage.
With the 89 (10% Ethanol) I am averaging 24.5mpg for daily use and I get 28.2 mpg on long trips. I highly doubt you lose any mileage at all.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #34
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #35
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Mostly here in Md is 93 octane fuel. Honestly doesnt matter what grade it is ever since they started putting ethenol in the fuel its been nothing but crap anyway.
PIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #36
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Yes its not a regular blend like the homeland Michigan. Basically to find it you usually have to go to a station that sells racing fuel and they ain't cheap.
I'd believe that. Hey, we don’t have that here so charge more…

Team LS3
Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

And for you History buffs...

Octane History

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

During WWI, it was discovered that you can add a chemical called tetraethyl lead (TEL) to gasoline and significantly improve its octane rating above the octane/heptane combination. Cheaper grades of gasoline could be made usable by adding TEL. This led to the widespread use of "ethyl" or "leaded" gasoline. Unfortunately, the side effects of adding lead to gasoline are:

Lead clogs a catalytic converter and renders it inoperable within minutes.
The Earth became covered in a thin layer of lead, and lead is toxic to many living things (including humans).
When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines. In the case of AvGas, 100 is the gasoline's performance rating, not the percentage of actual octane in the gas. The addition of TEL boosts the compression level of the gasoline -- it doesn't add more octane.

Currently engineers are trying to develop airplane engines that can use unleaded gasoline. Jet engines burn kerosene, by the way.

Team LS3
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #38
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Learned that in High School Chemistry and it probably helped that I grew up in SETex.. PetroChem is a way of life there and my father was on a CatCracker unit as an operator for decades. I actually watched the world's largest (at the time) Steam Cat Cracking unit get built. I even knew one of the German Engrs responsible for it..
Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #39
BATMANs

Drives: GTO & NSX
Can someone tell me why over the years the octane has been lowering and lowering?

When I was in high school I remember 108 octane for premium unleaded pump gas at $.98/gal.

Regular octane was 98 and at $.90/gal
2005 GTO Maggie, Forged engine, CAI, Kooks LTH, Magnaflow, Billet Pro shifter, LS7 clutch, 245/275 18" on Petrol Octane, Addco Sways, Koni Yellows, King Springs, Whiteline bushings, EBC Red, X-drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 55w HID, PLX gauges

1993 NSX Kenne Bell 2.1, Laminova IC, sway bars, NSX-R chassis bars, and non-compliance toe links, Tien EDFC, STMPO exhaust & brake ducts, RM Racing headers, K&N/Cantrall intake, Enkei RP03 17"18", APR GTC-300
BATMANs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

Exactly!

And BTW here on Long Island, a significant number of stations only have 87, 89 and 93, there is no 91 in many places.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #41
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMANs View Post
Can someone tell me why over the years the octane has been lowering and lowering?

When I was in high school I remember 108 octane for premium unleaded pump gas at $.98/gal.

Regular octane was 98 and at $.90/gal
Crude oil prices increasing and environmentalists.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #42
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Quote:
Crude oil prices increasing and environmentalists.
I'd say more greedy traders and oil speculators, that and Oil Execs loving their billions in profit.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
This is a great thread because I have wondered a lot of these things. So a couple of people have stated that 93 or 91.....no difference. Does anyone have proof such as Dyno's or 1/4 times that can confirm to challenge this argument? The manual states 93 preferred right?? I assume they did some testing before publishing that.

I have only ever put 93 shell V Power in my tank and am scared to death to try anything else. Something that bothers me is the brand of gas. I've been told that Shell is the BEST and WORST equally. Does anyone really have a clue?

Fascinating......

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #44
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
In my town in west Texas, I have seen no postings of 93. 91 octane is everywhere and most say up to to 10% ethanol. Wish I could find some 93. So If I were to ever get a Jannetty tune, I would have to ask for a 91 tune. sucks!
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #45
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without Remorse View Post
This is a great thread because I have wondered a lot of these things. So a couple of people have stated that 93 or 91.....no difference. Does anyone have proof such as Dyno's or 1/4 times that can confirm to challenge this argument? The manual states 93 preferred right?? I assume they did some testing before publishing that.

I have only ever put 93 shell V Power in my tank and am scared to death to try anything else. Something that bothers me is the brand of gas. I've been told that Shell is the BEST and WORST equally. Does anyone really have a clue?

Fascinating......
I just someone to actually give me a breakdown of what Techron is.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #46
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
Tom- I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Premium at 91 or 93?? It gets to you because someone says 93 is required instead of 91? I think you have to remember that alot of times it is based on ones location in what they would say is required for premium. As multiple people pointed out, 93 isn't available where they live and 91 isn't either. I don't think its because they can't read the owners manual.

My automatic LS3 engine requires 93 octane.

It is a converted L99, forged, balanced and blown. Lingenfelter actually puts a sticker right next to the gas cap to state that 93 is the minimum.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #47
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
Tom- I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Premium at 91 or 93?? It gets to you because someone says 93 is required instead of 91? I think you have to remember that alot of times it is based on ones location in what they would say is required for premium. As multiple people pointed out, 93 isn't available where they live and 91 isn't either. I don't think its because they can't read the owners manual.

My automatic LS3 engine requires 93 octane.

It is a converted L99, forged, balanced and blown. Lingenfelter actually puts a sticker right next to the gas cap to state that 93 is the minimum.
Yes but we're talking stock Camaros not the Lingenfelter. I'm not sure how it is in MD but 93 isn't something you can get at a regular station out here in Arizona and several other west coast states. Usually the best you can do at a regular pump is 91. That isn't to say 93 doesn't exist out here but it usually sold as a specialty blend and can be much more pricey than 91.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #48
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I filled up my tank today at a Sunco station and the difference between 91 and 93 was 3 cents per gal. I just used the 93.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #49
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I filled up my tank today at a Sunco station and the difference between 91 and 93 was 3 cents per gal. I just used the 93.
Well if it was like that here I probably would too.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #50
Noturday
[Not-your-day]

Drives: 2005 Avalanche
Quote:
The more ethanol in the blend the more money at the pump.
this must be why E85 was $0.40 cheaper than regular unleaded down in NW Houston...??? i though about switching to it until prices went back down. except i would have been filling up a lot more often.