Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
ZL1 estimated mpg

Assuming the HP of the ZL1 should come in anywhere between 550 - 600, what does everyone think the mpg relative to the SS that gets 16/25 auto and 16/24 manual? Of course gas mileage isn't going to be as much of a factor for GM as with the SS therefore the gas guzzler tax will most likely apply and there probably won't be AFM on the auto. Of course premium gas is a given. Not that mpg will be much of a factor to those buying a ZL1, I'm just curious to how much more $ will be going down the tank. Nice to see the price of oil dropping which might give the ZL1 a slight boost in sales.
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,395
Well you could guesstimate by looking at the CTS-V estimates...
EPA est. Fuel Economy City 14 MPG
EPA est. Fuel Economy Highway 19 MPG
Curb Weight 4209
http://www.cadillac.com/ctsVCoupe/2011/features-specs/
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,095
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I could be wrong, but I think most people's concern about ZL1 gas mileage will be about whether it will clear the gas guzzler tax or how bad the GG tax impact will be.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
Tax Schedule
The IRS collects the tax directly from the manufacturer or importer of the vehicles. The following table shows the gas guzzler tax rates which have been in effect since January 1, 1991. The manufacturer or importer must pay this amount for each vehicle that doesn’t meet the minimum fuel economy level of 22.5 mpg.


Combined fuel economy of: Amount
at least 22.5 mpg No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 mpg $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 mpg $1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 mpg $1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 mpg $2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 mpg $2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 mpg $3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 mpg $3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 mpg $4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 mpg $5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 mpg $6400
less than 12.5 mpg $7700
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro
 
Scarrzz's Avatar
 
Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana, CO, GA, TX, etc.
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Well you could guesstimate by looking at the CTS-V estimates...
EPA est. Fuel Economy City 14 MPG
EPA est. Fuel Economy Highway 19 MPG
Curb Weight 4209
http://www.cadillac.com/ctsVCoupe/2011/features-specs/


What Mac said.

We will weigh maybe .5% less than CTS V (200 pounds), and also have slightly less restrictive plumbing in the air intake, giving us a bit more HP.

Altogether, probably close to the same MPG. I'll plan for that & hope for a bit more - primarily because of the stooopid GG tax.


.
__________________
.
__________________________________
................................................The Faithful are Watching.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Z4me

 
Z4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,939
I suppose if your a daily driver, then you might be interested in the mpg on this car. But then again if your worried
about that, they do offer an option of LS V6 with great mpg. Just saying.

Last edited by Z4me; 06-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
1981DFA
 
Drives: 2006 GMC serria
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Tax Schedule
The IRS collects the tax directly from the manufacturer or importer of the vehicles. The following table shows the gas guzzler tax rates which have been in effect since January 1, 1991. The manufacturer or importer must pay this amount for each vehicle that doesn’t meet the minimum fuel economy level of 22.5 mpg.


Combined fuel economy of: Amount
at least 22.5 mpg No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 mpg $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 mpg $1300
at least 19.5, but less than 20.5 mpg $1700
at least 18.5, but less than 19.5 mpg $2100
at least 17.5, but less than 18.5 mpg $2600
at least 16.5, but less than 17.5 mpg $3000
at least 15.5, but less than 16.5 mpg $3700
at least 14.5, but less than 15.5 mpg $4500
at least 13.5, but less than 14.5 mpg $5400
at least 12.5, but less than 13.5 mpg $6400
less than 12.5 mpg $7700
This must be a really old tax table because i had to pay $1,300 for my 2005 GTO M6 which got 25 MPG's hwy and 17 city.
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
It was dated October 2006 , but from the EPA site so it should still be valid. But, these are estimated and are assessed at the end of the year so the manufacturers estimate the tax based on a calculation which includes the average of highway and city mpg.
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzl...f06042.htm#tax
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
I think most people buying this niche car won't give a hoot about fuel consumption. taxes or delivered price as long as it's not market adjusted. It's going to be the must have Camaro for the ages as I see it. It's not really made to be a daily driver, although GM engineered the s_ _ _ out of it to be one if so desired. It's a race car....the higher the RPM's turn, the more the fuel gauge goes in the opposite direction. When you take it out and stand on it for an hour then park it, you'll be so blown away you won't care about MPG or the price of fuel....gosh I want this car.....
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Z4me

 
Z4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,939
Got to see , sit in and hear the ZL1 today in Frederic and I was not disappointed. Had a great conversation with Scott as well, and believe me he would love to tell more about the car. But this is a business and this is not the time to spill all the beans about this car. I for one can wait for the sake of being competetive and waiting for the correct time to announce things. The car is a beast though, and the one thing I did like and did not know about till today was that they had like black carbon fiber inserts on the inside panels of the doors and upper dash above the suede. Looks pretty sharp and I was thinking of adding black fiber to break up the look of the plastic, but that's been done already .

Oh and thx Scott it was a pleasure for both me and my wife to finally meet you in person.

Last edited by Z4me; 06-25-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #11
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro
 
Scarrzz's Avatar
 
Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana, CO, GA, TX, etc.
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I think most people buying this niche car won't give a hoot about fuel consumption. taxes or delivered price as long as it's not market adjusted. It's going to be the must have Camaro for the ages as I see it. It's not really made to be a daily driver, although GM engineered the s_ _ _ out of it to be one if so desired. It's a race car....the higher the RPM's turn, the more the fuel gauge goes in the opposite direction. When you take it out and stand on it for an hour then park it, you'll be so blown away you won't care about MPG or the price of fuel....gosh I want this car.....

+ 1 Googolplex


.
__________________
.
__________________________________
................................................The Faithful are Watching.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
Got to see , sit in and hear the ZL1 today in Frederic and I was not disappointed. Had a great conversation with Scott as well, and believe me he would love to tell more about the car. But this is a business and this is not the time to spill all the beans about this car. I for one can wait for the sake of being competetive and waiting for the correct time to announce things. The car is a beast though, and the one thing I did like and did not know about till today was that they had like black carbon fiber inserts on the inside panels of the doors and upper dash above the suede. Looks pretty sharp and I was thinking of adding black fiber to break up the look of the plastic, but that's been done already .

Oh and thx Scott it was a pleasure for both me and my wife to finally meet you in person.
Sounds like you had a pretty good day! Yeah, seems like there are some hints that there are going to be some welcomed surprises when it comes out.
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
I suppose if your a daily driver, then you might be interested in the mpg on this car. But then again if your worried
about that, they do offer an option of LS V6 with great mpg. Just saying.
Averaged 27.1 mpg on the last tank with my LS and I happily run 13's. If I want to run around with my hair on fire killing dino's I'll pull the '68 out with the two holleys that gets single digit mpg.
Just saying.

And I also think asking mpg questions on the ZL1 is a little crazy, but to each their own.
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Kermit1
 
Kermit1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Callaway 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Blacklick Ohio
Posts: 127
Who cares, If your worried about mpg...buy a green car. I don't mean to be rude but!!!!!
Kermit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,019
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well, the V6 Camaro looks like it has 1 mpg over the CTS in the City and 3 on the highway. That would translate to about 15/22 for the ZL1 but I wouldn't expect it to translate quite so perfectly. I'd say 15/21 is more realistic.

That would probably give it a $1000 GG tax based on other cars that have been in that range in the past (such as the 2010 GT500 that got 14/22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981DFA View Post
This must be a really old tax table because i had to pay $1,300 for my 2005 GTO M6 which got 25 MPG's hwy and 17 city.
That would fit: (25+17)/2 = 21

But, GG tax isn't based on the EPA window sticker, its based on a more generous calculation method. I don't see how your car qualified unless they've changed the rules in the last few years.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
Z4me

 
Z4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Averaged 27.1 mpg on the last tank with my LS and I happily run 13's. If I want to run around with my hair on fire killing dino's I'll pull the '68 out with the two holleys that gets single digit mpg.
Just saying.

And I also think asking mpg questions on the ZL1 is a little crazy, but to each their own.

Plus on the V6 you can use lower octane gas too. BTW I was not knocking
the V6 at all with that comment, it's a great car with plenty of power. If
I was against V6's I never would have bought my Buick Grand National, of
course it did have a bit of an extra kick to it with the turbo .
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Brother, never took it as a knock.
My v6 looks better than a prius and has good power. I didn't want to hug any trees, I just wanted to save the green for the big blocks.
And I really want to see this ZL1 and decide between it and a Nickey(which is what I really want).
__________________
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
-Ricky Bobby
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I could be wrong, but I think most people's concern about ZL1 gas mileage will be about whether it will clear the gas guzzler tax or how bad the GG tax impact will be.
It won't clear the gas guzzler tax. That tax is another rape of the taxpayer so the government can artificially increase the car price of vehicles that aren't to their political liking. It's utter bs.

Another political bite out of freedom.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,095
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
Got to see , sit in and hear the ZL1 today in Frederic and I was not disappointed. Had a great conversation with Scott as well, and believe me he would love to tell more about the car. But this is a business and this is not the time to spill all the beans about this car. I for one can wait for the sake of being competetive and waiting for the correct time to announce things. The car is a beast though, and the one thing I did like and did not know about till today was that they had like black carbon fiber inserts on the inside panels of the doors and upper dash above the suede. Looks pretty sharp and I was thinking of adding black fiber to break up the look of the plastic, but that's been done already .

Oh and thx Scott it was a pleasure for both me and my wife to finally meet you in person.
I am very jealous that you were able to get up close and personal with the the Zl1. I would love to hear any other personal observations you had with your one to one with the ZL1 but,

__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Z4me

 
Z4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I am very jealous that you were able to get up close and personal with the the Zl1. I would love to hear any other personal observations you had with your one to one with the ZL1 but,







Here's a few pic's from the Camaro Nationals in Frederick with Scott on
Friday. Turns out that the first day was pretty quiet compared to Saturday. Which gave me plenty of time to talk about the ZL1 most of
which was already discussed previously on these forums. As another reader had posted a little while ago Scott had mentioned that the SSX rims would be standard on the ZL1. I found the wheels kinda had a plastic
look to them, so I'm leaning towards the original rims.

The suede looked really good and I'll be getting that on my ZL1. The car
feels very comfortable and sounds really good. Scott told me he is a manual kinda car person, but if he was to purchase a ZL1 it would be
with automatic transmission. Thx Scott I'll be buying the automatic I was on the fence untill then. We talked for a bit about the car and well I could pretty much fill in the some of the empty phrases that he could not talk about but I don't wanta see any black surburbans visiting my house in the middle of the night .
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
Very cool, Z4you! I currently have an L99, and was still debating again on the ZL1, if I end up purchasing, wether I opt for the auto again. Well, your comment has peaked my interest and wonder why he might have said that to you. Maybe the auto won't have less horsepower rating than the manual like the SS, giving the auto a leg up of course.
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
I never bought I high performance car and gave MPG a thought for even one second. Who cares? If you have to worry about MPG on a ZL1 well then, I would say it's not the car for you. Maybe you should buy a Vette.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
Z4me

 
Z4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Very cool, Z4you! I currently have an L99, and was still debating again on the ZL1, if I end up purchasing, wether I opt for the auto again. Well, your comment has peaked my interest and wonder why he might have said that to you. Maybe the auto won't have less horsepower rating than the manual like the SS, giving the auto a leg up of course.

Well just two people who have a love for these cars and the conversation involved the automatic transmission among other topics. I could tell from Scott's passion talking about this topic that this transmission is going to be really something. All I can say is I'm sold on the auto now. He really could not elaborate any further because some things need to be discussed at a latter time as far as why he preferred it. I can live with that, it's a business after all and some things need to be kept under raps till the proper time.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I never bought I high performance car and gave MPG a thought for even one second. Who cares? If you have to worry about MPG on a ZL1 well then, I would say it's not the car for you. Maybe you should buy a Vette.
Ok, enough already! You're the fifth person to say that, I get that!
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Ok, enough already! You're the fifth person to say that, I get that!
My comment wasn't meant to be a smart ass one. My corvettes got great MPG's and if you're really worried about it then you may want to go that route. Not to mention that they have awesome performance and looks.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZL1 MPG LOL spoone123 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 05-07-2011 01:16 PM
Forget the Z28...get straight to the ZL1 1_2Many Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 101 02-10-2011 12:32 PM
What is your Ave Fuel per gallon on V8 LS3? dxy2jbaby 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 61 11-17-2010 05:52 PM
Better MPG SNV Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 26 04-08-2010 09:59 PM
FBODFATHER-How does GM feel about the ZL1 nameplate? will we ever see a modern ZL1? D-Unit 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 24 07-30-2008 06:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.