Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Smitty77

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 2LT/RS Camaro
First Adams 2 Bucket Wash at a Coin-Op

I live in an apartment without an available faucet to wash my car on-site, so I took the advice of others on this site to get the Adams 2 Bucket Wash kit and do it at a coin-op place nearby. I have been spending $30 a pop for a hand wash at local car wash and that is just tii expensive. The 2 bucket wash was great and it only cost me $3.50 total for the water to fill the buckets and rinse the car before and after the wash. Love the products and am looking forward to more washes. I had to really hurry because it was in the 90s and the soap/water dried really fast as I was washing the car.

One question I have is about bug residue on the paint/grill/bumper. It's hard to see all the bug spots when the water and suds are on the car, so I missed some of the bug residue. Is there another product I can use to get the small areas of bug residue that was left over after the wash?

Ordered the Interior Kit and more Detail Spray. I really like these products.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
camaroguylenny

Drives: 2012 Jaguar XJ

I've been wondering the same thing...help please.
camaroguylenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Its better to get them off during the wash, I'd recommend:

*Blast the large chunks off with the pressure washer
*Soak the area with a 1:1 mixture of APC
*Allow it to set for a moment
*Blast again with the pressure washer and then resume washing as usual
*Wash the front bumper last and preferably with a separate mitt due to the crispy bug bits it may pick up

If you want to remove them after the wash:

*Saturate with Waterless Wash (detail spray can be substituted, but is less ideal)
*Wipe gently with a waffle weave towel
*Flip the towel frequently to keep the contamination from being rubbed into the paint.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I live in an apartment without an available faucet to wash my car on-site, so I took the advice of others on this site to get the Adams 2 Bucket Wash kit and do it at a coin-op place nearby. I have been spending $30 a pop for a hand wash at local car wash and that is just tii expensive. The 2 bucket wash was great and it only cost me $3.50 total for the water to fill the buckets and rinse the car before and after the wash. Love the products and am looking forward to more washes. I had to really hurry because it was in the 90s and the soap/water dried really fast as I was washing the car.

One question I have is about bug residue on the paint/grill/bumper. It's hard to see all the bug spots when the water and suds are on the car, so I missed some of the bug residue. Is there another product I can use to get the small areas of bug residue that was left over after the wash?

Ordered the Interior Kit and more Detail Spray. I really like these products.

I do the same since I live in apartment but living in West Texas I have found I'm going to scratch my car no matter how hard I try because of all the dust in the air here. Just be aware it's going to be hard to get good results, patience is KEY!

For the bugs I get a sponge with a mesh cover on it to break down the bugs. Along with what Dylan said, I would clean the car then use claying to remove the remaining bugs.

Good luck, and remember.... PATIENCE!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Smitty77

Thanks Dylan - I appreciate the response!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
lucky...i cant bucket wash at mine...they have cameras :(

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
We have a good pay and spray here that gives you 20 mins for $3.00. Just keep the meter running and they say nothing about hand/bucket wash.

Try and find such in your area. Tip: fill your buckets at home to save time on the meter.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Smitty77

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
After I was done with my wash, I did notice a sign in the bay that said "No Buckets Allowed" but the place wasn't manned by anyone so I don't know how anyone would know about it. I'm hoping no one really watches the place. They probably make more money off me than the average customer anyway.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
After I was done with my wash, I did notice a sign in the bay that said "No Buckets Allowed" but the place wasn't manned by anyone so I don't know how anyone would know about it. I'm hoping no one really watches the place. They probably make more money off me than the average customer anyway.
Ya and I try to go during off business hours so not to hold anyone up. If wash if mostly empty they are not that hard on ya...most of the time...

As for the bugs, like Dylan said...I sometimes spray them with waterless wash and let it soak while getting the rest ready for wash, ie mats out, buckets out etc...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote