Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #26
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
I hope the Camaro and Challenger stick around to keep Ford honest and I would hope you all feel the same so GM keeps pushing the Camaro further.
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #27
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,765
I agree, the mustang aint going anywhere. the article didn't say that mustang was going away, just that the plant needs more volume to stay open...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,659
Even if they close the Flatrock plant they will probably just move production to another plant that is underutilized. maybe adding another shift, or they could move production of another vehicle to the Flatrock plant to keep it open, either way the Mustang is not going anywhere, it is Ford's image car, they need it in their lineup.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
CamaroBelarus
 
Drives: black 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Belarus
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i really hope people start buying the mustang. come on its faster ! lol
It is faster, when u drive a camaro. Damn, im sure mustang gt even faster when zl1 is in ur hands.
CamaroBelarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #30
AngeloVEnforcer
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
The Mustang is not going anywhere guys. If anything you'll see a new Lincoln Mark after the 2014 redesign to fill the high end market and some of that plants volume.

As for the axle talk just drop it already. It's been proven time after time stock for stock the Mustang handles better than the mediocre setup in the Camaro. I hope the Camaro and Challenger stick around to keep Ford honest and I would hope you all feel the same so GM keeps pushing the Camaro further.

If it wasn't for the success of the 05+ Mustang you all wouldn't even be driving a Camaro.

The Mustang isn't going anywhere, but it is being crushed in sales by it's counterpart. Ford doesn't have what it takes to compete with the Camaro revolution. It's an icon. The 2005 Mustang was just a new model with a retro look, the 2010 Camaro was branded as a modern day sports car with 1st Gen inspired looks. The power, styling, and branding have made the Camaro a success. The Mustang, as always, is just a Mustang.

I sense dissent and distaste with your last statement in your post. Claiming that the success of the 2005 Mustang brought out the new Camaro. Couldn't be further from the truth. If anything, the retro styling was started by the PT Cruiser.
AngeloVEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #31
AKcamaro
 
AKcamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 66
I still believe that Transformers was BY FAR the best thing that GM did with the marketing of the Camaro. 95% of America is so brainwashed by Hollywood into believing that everything on the big screen is the greatest thing ever. It just so happens that the new Camaro happens to be that great!

Most of us car guys/gals see past this as marketing but truly look at the car for what it is, one of the best muscle cars ever produced in styling and performance. Some of us are loyal to GM products or the Camaro brand and another group was swayed over from the Mustang. The thing that puts the Camaro over the top of average sales to me is all of the new buyers coming in because of Transformers and it being the "hip" car that Hollywood has portrayed to us.
AKcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
Cam#7

 
Cam#7's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 833
I would think most car manufactures would be doing high fives to sell 70,xxx cars from a model that came out in 2005. Don't feel sorry for the Mustang, they sold 325,xxx alone in the first two model years of this generation.

They can afford to loss a little money on the Mustang until the 2014 model comes out. GM needs to be agile enough to be ready with the Gen6 model for 2015 and make last minute adjustments.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #33
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 478
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloVEnforcer View Post
The Mustang isn't going anywhere, but it is being crushed in sales by it's counterpart. Ford doesn't have what it takes to compete with the Camaro revolution. It's an icon. The 2005 Mustang was just a new model with a retro look, the 2010 Camaro was branded as a modern day sports car with 1st Gen inspired looks. The power, styling, and branding have made the Camaro a success. The Mustang, as always, is just a Mustang.

I sense dissent and distaste with your last statement in your post. Claiming that the success of the 2005 Mustang brought out the new Camaro. Couldn't be further from the truth. If anything, the retro styling was started by the PT Cruiser.
You might want to go back and look at interviews from GM and Chrysler personnel since 05. The Pony Car segment was just about on its deathbed prior to the 05 Mustang. The success of that car gave the green light in GM and Chrysler to build their own. Forget about the retro aspect because the Camaro certainly isn’t that. Plus don’t read too much into my post because your looking for dissent and distaste that’s not there. However, if things keep going this way the Camaro will just be a Camaro because you'll see them everywhere.
__________________
2014 GT500
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #34
LAWMAN

 
LAWMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasc.Ms.
Posts: 769
I'm with a few others here,i still love my maro after two years of ownership,hell i even had a guy ask me the other day if i wanted to sell it,i told him not really but $$$ talks,if he will give me what it would take for me to sell it then yeah,i'll sell to him,that way i would have a good down payment for the "ZL1"...he could buy a new 2011 camaro for what it would take to get mine but i have done alot of mods to mine,..anyway back to topic,i would hate to see people lose jobs,and i do believe that the mustang is gonna be redefined in a way that people are gonna look at it the way they look at the camaro today,and after the "ZL1" beast hits the streets and out does the shelby then ford will have to do something to beef-up the motor to meet or beat the zl1......then guess what...? CHEVY will come out with the "Z28"...and the wars continue on,
__________________
A9120159
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #35
LAWMAN

 
LAWMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasc.Ms.
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
You might want to go back and look at interviews from GM and Chrysler personnel since 05. The Pony Car segment was just about on its deathbed prior to the 05 Mustang. The success of that car gave the green light in GM and Chrysler to build their own. Forget about the retro aspect because the Camaro certainly isn’t that. Plus don’t read too much into my post because your looking for dissent and distaste that’s not there. However, if things keep going this way the Camaro will just be a Camaro because you'll see them everywhere.
funny about the remark about seeing camaro's everywhere,that is exactly what i thought and still think about the mustang,which i think the good sales of the camaro is bittersweet due to the fact of the amount of sales,i'd rather not see a camaro everytime i turn the corner,
__________________
A9120159
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
edz10ss
 
edz10ss's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver Metalic Ice w/ black Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ocean County-New Jersey
Posts: 246
This is such awesome news. Just imagine if chevy actually starts playing Camaro commercials on TV, Mustangs will be done. All I saw every two seconds while I watch Fox ch. 5 is that mustang commercial. I never see a Camaro commercial. I don't like to see someone out of a job though. Everything about the Camaro is better, from looks, handle, speed, and its a CHEVY!
edz10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #37
dr damon
 
dr damon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Socal
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcamaro View Post
I still believe that Transformers was BY FAR the best thing that GM did with the marketing of the Camaro. 95% of America is so brainwashed by Hollywood into believing that everything on the big screen is the greatest thing ever. It just so happens that the new Camaro happens to be that great!

Most of us car guys/gals see past this as marketing but truly look at the car for what it is, one of the best muscle cars ever produced in styling and performance. Some of us are loyal to GM products or the Camaro brand and another group was swayed over from the Mustang. The thing that puts the Camaro over the top of average sales to me is all of the new buyers coming in because of Transformers and it being the "hip" car that Hollywood has portrayed to us.


Transformers or not, once i saw the concept, i just had to get one, but for the younger people and children, Transformers blew the camaro out of the water. Great marketing by chevrolet. I used to keep replaying the scenes in TF1 that had the camaro in it. 5th gen camaro will be a WORLD icon, because of transformers. Kinda like Star Wars is to my generation.
__________________
2011 PRAYING MANTIS SS WITH CYBER GREY STRIPES
dr damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
2010SLVRBULIT


 
2010SLVRBULIT's Avatar
 
Drives: G5 & C6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MARS
Posts: 6,797
yup, redesigning the mustang seems to be Ford's best hope(or drastically dropping prices). Doesn't help w/ the V6 shortage either...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #39
JHL88
 
JHL88's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 z06
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia/south carolina
Posts: 414
ford will be alright. the mustang to them is like the corvette to us. it wont persish
__________________
1997 RS wrecked
1998 Z28 sold
10 SS sold
2002 torch redc5z06 - sold :(
'13 z71 4x4 - DD




www.fquick.com/JHL88
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #40
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,178
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It looks like more special editions are on the way. That's Ford's answer to competing with the Camaro until 2014. I look forward to seeing more vinyl-clad Mustangs on the streets.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #41
Good2go
Team Chevrolet
 
Good2go's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 433
Look at the majority of these coments. If the tables were turned, as in the "reborn" Camaro flopped and trailed the mustang's sales numbers, you'd see all kinds of "good riddens", or "to hell with the crap-maro, let it die" posts on the mustang forums. I, like most of you, don't want to see the 'stang go away. Competition improves the breed. Ford will find a way to make it more appealing, and keep GM on their toes.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #42
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
We better hope that the mustang doesn't go away. Competition breeds good cars. When the competition goes away so does the quality of the cars left and pretty soon they go too. Our cars will suffer if the mustang goes. Not to mention all the people that will be out of work.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #43
SleepWarz
Banned
 
Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Ford will be fine. The sales of the current generation Mustang may be slumping because of its body design, but it has several very well designed engines and a lineup of cars that in my opinion is the best looking lineup of any of the detroit 3. Ford can pull off a successful redesign. You can see it in their lineup. They just need to get it right for the next Mustang.

The Camaro is hot right now, but if GM doesn't offer as many options as Ford does in regards to accessories, options such as gears, navigation and even models (v6, gt, boss, gt500), the Camaro's sales will eventually slump. We are just lucky that most people consider the Camaro a better looking car today. Ford has been refining the Mustang since its inception. The Camaro is now a totally new design, it kicks butt, but don't be fooled. Ford isn't happy with being number #2, especially when the Mustang was the ONLY pony car to enjoy uninterrupted production.
I agree. The flexibility that options give are what enthusiasts want imo.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #44
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBelarus View Post
It is faster, when u drive a camaro. Damn, im sure mustang gt even faster when zl1 is in ur hands.
guess the professional drivers who have tested this many times are wrong and you right. who would have known
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #45
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
We better hope that the mustang doesn't go away. Competition breeds good cars. When the competition goes away so does the quality of the cars left and pretty soon they go too. Our cars will suffer if the mustang goes. Not to mention all the people that will be out of work.
BINGO!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #46
alexcfwu
 
alexcfwu's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Trans Am
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 60
I love GM products, but I do have to say that I feel for the Ford workers. My first car was a Ford. Perhaps, we the buyers bear some of the faults for buying import cars. I like the look of 67 Shelby 427, 2002 mustang GT (Steve Saleen's S281E was pretty nice looking). The current interior of the Mustangs are not bad. Had it not been for the Z28 rumor (now ZL1), I would have seriously consider getting GT500 (2nd choice after Callaway SC575).

I do hope Mustang survives... GM had to put Camaro away a few years, and Firebird forever... I hope Mustang doesn't suffer the same fate.
alexcfwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #47
truth411

 
Drives: police interceptor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,195
IMVHO the problem isn't really mustang sales (there only like 10,000 units behind) its the fact that they are looseing production of the Mazda 6. In any case, no way in hell would Ford pull the plug on the mustang. I think they are going to try and make it untill the redesign.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
Inuyashas_Brother
 
Inuyashas_Brother's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
I would think most car manufactures would be doing high fives to sell 70,xxx cars from a model that came out in 2005. Don't feel sorry for the Mustang, they sold 325,xxx alone in the first two model years of this generation.
__________________
Inuyashas_Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #49
Splitter
Hot Rod Station Wagon
 
Splitter's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS NPP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 423
Send a message via AIM to Splitter Send a message via MSN to Splitter Send a message via Yahoo to Splitter
going on 7 years now for the same model... really, come on ford, you need to step it up.

no, I dont call the 10 or 11 a new model, just a revision.
__________________
2014 1LT/RS Soon™
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #50
Bond
Heritage Hanger
 
Bond's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Ford will be fine. The sales of the current generation Mustang may be slumping because of its body design, but it has several very well designed engines and a lineup of cars that in my opinion is the best looking lineup of any of the detroit 3. Ford can pull off a successful redesign. You can see it in their lineup. They just need to get it right for the next Mustang.

The Camaro is hot right now, but if GM doesn't offer as many options as Ford does in regards to accessories, options such as gears, navigation and even models (v6, gt, boss, gt500), the Camaro's sales will eventually slump. We are just lucky that most people consider the Camaro a better looking car today. Ford has been refining the Mustang since its inception. The Camaro is now a totally new design, it kicks butt, but don't be fooled. Ford isn't happy with being number #2, especially when the Mustang was the ONLY pony car to enjoy uninterrupted production.
All this.
__________________
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4574&pictureid=46944

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
GM March 2011 Sales Up 11%, 206,621 Units Sold FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 6 04-01-2011 10:57 AM
My Reivew of Camaro SS vs Mustang GT ss ZHO Chevy Camaro vs... 6 06-05-2010 12:23 AM
GM MAY SALES UP 34%, 223,822 UNITS SOLD FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 27 06-04-2010 07:18 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.