Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #51
ActNup NY

 
ActNup NY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Great writeup BMR guy!

And I can attest to the absolute need to "Time" the bushings after a ride height alteration.

I installed the Pfadt drop springs and balance bar on my car last weekend. Today was the day to get the bushings "timed" and the 4 wheel alignment completed.

On my way to the shop for alignment I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake by lowering the car because of the ride quality I was experiencing. I knew there would be a slight trade off of ride compliance for handling improvements but the ride was much more harsh then I'd expected.

Once on the rack for a while, after timing but before aligning, the technician asked me who manufactured the spring package I had and who installed them? I immediately thought something must have been wrong. But to my relief he said that the drop was perfectly square side to side and just right front to back. (slightly lower in front then in back) He stated that the rear settled almost 1/2" after the bushings were timed!

Those bushings must have been under quite a bit of preload to hold the tail of the car up as much as a 1/2"! The tech wanted me to take him for a ride to make sure everything was to my liking before he signed off on the job and as soon as we wheeled out of the parking lot I could tell the difference in the ride quality.

Yes it still rides a bit stiffer then the factory set-up but the harshness that I felt on the way to the shop was gone! I LOVE the way the car looks, feels and takes the curves.

People......... if you alter the ride height of your car, take the time or pay the price to have those bushings "timed". The difference is night and day!

Blackwell I know I'm questioning you about an old post here. But I've read what's said her bit still confused as to what exactly "timed bushing" is exactly. Can you explain in an even more lamen terms for me if you don't mind.

My car is actually low now been now for about a year I would say. I've been reading and searching info regarding suspension. Some of your earlier concerns is mines now. ( regarding ride quality) so I plan to change out all my bushings and control arm, trailing , etc. so I just need a clearer meanin of timed bushings. Thxs man !!!
__________________
I'M SO FAR AHEAD OF MY TIME, I'M ABOUT TO PASS YOU TWICE..
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #52
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5
 
Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,308
Is this a stickey yet? IMO it's a must read for new DIYers.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #53
Blues45th
.........................
 
Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Posts: 920
So if lowered now. And just got new bmr rear bushings and cradle. I should time them after instal?
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #54
ali01192
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 7
Hey Guys,

Any one install a Camber kit / Camber Bolt after lowering? I got an abnormal negative camber after lowering. Did any one els get this? please let me know, im trippin!
ali01192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #55
BMR Sales


 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues45th View Post
So if lowered now. And just got new bmr rear bushings and cradle. I should time them after instal?
Hey Mike you shouldn't need to retime any of the bushings after you install those parts. Shoot me over what exact bushings you are looking at doing and I can verify 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali01192 View Post
Hey Guys,

Any one install a Camber kit / Camber Bolt after lowering? I got an abnormal negative camber after lowering. Did any one els get this? please let me know, im trippin!
Anytime you lower a Camaro it is going to give it a good bit of negaitve camber and the lower you go generally the more negative camber you have. If you haven't had the vehicle aligned than you need to get that done before you get too worked up because a lot of that extra negative camber can be taken out with a alignment.
__________________
Keith Kanyuh
5th Gen Camaro Suspension Specialist
keith@bmrsuspension.com
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #56
ali01192
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 7
Thanks for your response Kyle,

I took it to get aligned and they told me it could not be aligned because it had too much of a neg. Camber. Im not sure what i did wrong. How low is your car? did you have to get a camber kit?
ali01192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #57
dekan513
chevy pride
 
dekan513's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: pikeville ky
Posts: 2,145
always heard of timing bushing but never really knew what it was , makes total sense now. ty guys
__________________

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #58
MikeMoach

 
MikeMoach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,329
Subscribed

I only got to read the 1st couple post but thanks for all the info, ill definitely be needing this soon
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
MikeMoach

 
MikeMoach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,329
If I read this correctly, your saying that the sway bars do not need to be clocked/timed right?

I just installed mine and I tightened them down when the suspension was hanging and the car was on jack stands, so what I understand I should be good with how I did it correct?
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #60
Retro69
 
Retro69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Morgan, UT
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
If I read this correctly, your saying that the sway bars do not need to be clocked/timed right?

I just installed mine and I tightened them down when the suspension was hanging and the car was on jack stands, so what I understand I should be good with how I did it correct?
You are correct. Sway bars do not need to be clocked since their bushings do not have the same inner ferrule which locks to the chassis when tightened down. Their bushing are free to move by design.

Last edited by Retro69; 04-22-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #61
MikeMoach

 
MikeMoach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
You are correct. Sway bars do not need to be clocked since their bushings do not have the same inner ferrule which locks to the chassis when tightened down. Their busing are free to move by design.
Ok thank you, so to save myself time and energy I should install my 1" drop springs next and then clock all my bushings as I change them right? And then I could get an alignment with out having to worry if the mechanic did it right or not cause I would have alrdy done it correct?

I think I'm right but just asking to make sure
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #62
Retro69
 
Retro69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Morgan, UT
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
Ok thank you, so to save myself time and energy I should install my 1" drop springs next and then clock all my bushings as I change them right? And then I could get an alignment with out having to worry if the mechanic did it right or not cause I would have alrdy done it correct?

I think I'm right but just asking to make sure
I tried to clock my bushings after installing my drop springs but didn't feel comfortable with the results. I ended up paying just a few more $ to the shop that did my alignment. Very glad I did.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
__________________

2011 2SS M6
Comp Cams cam and trunion upgrade
CAI intake, Rotofab washer bottle
Ceramic coated Dynatech 1 7/8" long tube headers, hi-flow cats
VMAX CNC Ported TB. Pfadt Performance Kit - Stage 2 ZL-Spec
Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder with remote reservoir
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #63
MikeMoach

 
MikeMoach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I tried to clock my bushings after installing my drop springs but didn't feel comfortable with the results. I ended up paying just a few more $ to the shop that did my alignment. Very glad I did.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Well I have new toe rods nd trailing arms with outer trailing arm bushings so I know I can do those right, for the others ill give it my best shot and if it doesn't work ill get the shop to do it and make sure that's right

Thanks for the info I appreciate it
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #64
Retro69
 
Retro69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS M6 Synergy Green
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Morgan, UT
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
Well I have new toe rods nd trailing arms with outer trailing arm bushings so I know I can do those right, for the others ill give it my best shot and if it doesn't work ill get the shop to do it and make sure that's right

Thanks for the info I appreciate it
Sounds like you're doing the exact same thing I did. I just installed Pfadt drop springs and ZL-spec sway bars with the new rear lower control arms.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
__________________

2011 2SS M6
Comp Cams cam and trunion upgrade
CAI intake, Rotofab washer bottle
Ceramic coated Dynatech 1 7/8" long tube headers, hi-flow cats
VMAX CNC Ported TB. Pfadt Performance Kit - Stage 2 ZL-Spec
Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder with remote reservoir
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #65
MikeMoach

 
MikeMoach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
Sounds like you're doing the exact same thing I did. I just installed Pfadt drop springs and ZL-spec sway bars with the new rear lower control arms.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2


Nice set up, I went with a bmr kit I also got the subframe bushings but doubt I can put those in myself, I know it's an adventure to install them

I have an understand where all the bushings are, but does anyone have or can take a picture closer to the car and point out where everything is like in the 1st post?
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #66
MikeMoach

 
MikeMoach's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,329
Wow sorry ignore the 2nd half of my last post
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #67
A10maint
 
A10maint's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS T3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 51
Hey all, I know it was asked already, but when it comes to timing the bushings. I know that the vehicle has to static, but can the front be on ramps with rear on ground and then vise verse. Or does the vehicle have to be level in order to complete the timing.
A10maint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #68
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10maint View Post
Hey all, I know it was asked already, but when it comes to timing the bushings. I know that the vehicle has to static, but can the front be on ramps with rear on ground and then vise verse. Or does the vehicle have to be level in order to complete the timing.
While it maybe better than not doing it, the ride heights will be off and so will the bushes.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #69
A10maint
 
A10maint's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS T3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hill AFB, Utah
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
While it maybe better than not doing it, the ride heights will be off and so will the bushes.
Thanks, I was thinking it might be.
A10maint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #70
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12
 
Deke736's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glen Carbon, IL
Posts: 3,126
I hate to bring back an old thread, but I am really thinking that I need to get this done ASAP! I installed Pedders springs about 2 weeks ago and the car feels extremely bouncy now. To the point that I almost prefer driving in Sport mode in my ZL1 because Touring is a constant bounce. I also don't see much of a drop in the front compared to other Pedders lowered ZL1's I've seen. Hopefully that will get corrected as well.
__________________
Deke736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #71
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
I hate to bring back an old thread, but I am really thinking that I need to get this done ASAP! I installed Pedders springs about 2 weeks ago and the car feels extremely bouncy now. To the point that I almost prefer driving in Sport mode in my ZL1 because Touring is a constant bounce. I also don't see much of a drop in the front compared to other Pedders lowered ZL1's I've seen. Hopefully that will get corrected as well.
Mission critical to time and align!!!
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #72
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12
 
Deke736's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glen Carbon, IL
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Mission critical to time and align!!!
Glad I found this thread! Thanks for responding, Pete. Calling tomorrow!
__________________
Deke736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #73
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12
 
Deke736's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glen Carbon, IL
Posts: 3,126
Appointment scheduled for this afternoon! Have the alignment specs from Pete and the tong directions from this thread printed for my guy. He said he'd get it taken care of!
__________________
Deke736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #74
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5
 
Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,308
Still calling for this to be stickied!
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #75
TwentyTen2SSRS

 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,025
bringing this back from the dead -

I have very loud "groaning" or "croaking" from the rear. Is this a result of that as well?
__________________
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • matte white hood spears and rear javelin stripe outlined in yellow pinstriping • Anvil Spoiler • Side Camaro emblem delete • Gloss black rear bowtie • heritage grill • SLP front splitter
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: LS3 Camshaft Install (a lot of pictures, may take a moment to load) robertway Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 246 07-11-2014 02:51 AM
Timing bushings gtfitter597 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 41 07-09-2014 11:02 AM
Put More Power To The Pavement With Pfadt Engine Mounts And Differential Bushings!!!! Apex Motorsports Transmission / Driveline 28 11-27-2010 10:46 AM
clunking after bushings and lowering rtkjadams Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 12 10-01-2010 10:56 AM
Urethane Bushings from Energy Suspension Bewenched Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 1 04-30-2010 05:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.