Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
TN 2010 SS

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
What to do about scratch that is bugging me...

I need some advice from someone who knows something about body and paint repair (Junkman or anyone else). I have a small scratch about 1" long on the front fascia above the grill, right under the "mailslot" on my black SS. I have no clue how it got there. I'm pretty sure it's just in the clearcoat, and it's not that visible except in direct sunlight, but it bothers me knowing it's there. I've tried several kinds of scratch removers (Quixx, ScratchX, etc.), and it's a little less obvious, but still there. I now also have a small hazy area around it (in direct sunlight) from rubbing on it, which bothers me even more, because I know that I did that. I can barely feel it with my fingernail, but it doesn't catch on it. I'm now afraid to do anything else to it for fear of making the hazy area worse. Is there something else I should try, or just try and forget about it? Could a body shop polish it out and make it look like new again? I don't want to have the whole front fascia repainted just to get rid of it, because probably no one would ever notice it but ME. Thanks for any advice...
TN 2010 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Gene Culley

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS/RS
Smile

It sounds like you're trying to remove it by hand. That's not going to work for your situation any longer. The Porter Cable 7424 buffer and the orange pad and some Adam's SHR and that small scratch is history.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
It sounds like you're trying to remove it by hand. That's not going to work for your situation any longer. The Porter Cable 7424 buffer and the orange pad and some Adam's SHR and that small scratch is history.
+1. If you just wanted to knock out that scratch and didn't wanna fork up for the PC (which you should buy anyway, it pays off very quickly), you can buy their focus pads which can be used with a drill to get that scratch out. Just get the focus pads, SHR, and FMP.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
TN 2010 SS

I'm glad to hear that it can probably be polished out, but I've never used a power tool of any kind to polish a car, and I don't want to learn on my Camaro. So maybe I should find a body shop guy who can do this for me. Thanks for the info, and any other advice that anyone can give.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2010 SS View Post
I'm glad to hear that it can probably be polished out, but I've never used a power tool of any kind to polish a car, and I don't want to learn on my Camaro. So maybe I should find a body shop guy who can do this for me. Thanks for the info, and any other advice that anyone can give.
I know that it sounds a bit intimidating when the words "power tools" come into play, but I was of the same school of thought thinking that I would ruin my car. Quite the contrary, my car has never looked better! I've never used any kind of "power tool" on a car, and my first experience with the PC was on my very own car at an Adam's Detail Clinic. You really can't do any damage on your car with the PC (unless you throw it through your windshield ).
Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Contacting a bodyshop for something that minor would be a waste IMO unless you had other issues (like rock chips) that you were going to address at the same time.

If the scratch isn't deep enough to even catch your nail it would be extremely easy to fix on your own, and like the others have said... taking a polisher to your paint isn't rocket science, it only seems intimidating, but once you try it and realize that with a little common sense there is no way you're going to ruin anything you'll wonder why you didn't buy a polisher sooner!

If you have a lot of reservations about learning on your Camaro you can always rent a car for about $30... enterprise, avis, budget, etc.... none of them are going to complain about a car coming back in BETTER shape than they gave it to you. Its a cheap and easy way to learn and with the $9 a day insurance even if you did manage to screw something up you're covered!!

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
If you're that nervous- don't go the route I suggested with the drill. That makes it possible to damage the paint because it is rotary. If you get the PC however, you CANNOT damage your paint unless you actually TRY to. It's super safe.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
TN 2010 SS

Thanks for the replies and advice. That's what I was needing, since I know little about body/paint repair. You have about convinced me to invest in a PC. I do have a 99 Jimmy with plenty of scratches that I can practice on. As one poster mentioned, it's a really small repair to take to a body shop, and there's nothing else on it that needs any attention. There's not another scratch or blemish on it, which is why that one is annoying. Thanks for any more info/opinions
Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Thanks for the replies and advice. That's what I was needing, since I know little about body/paint repair. You have about convinced me to invest in a PC. I do have a 99 Jimmy with plenty of scratches that I can practice on. As one poster mentioned, it's a really small repair to take to a body shop, and there's nothing else on it that needs any attention. There's not another scratch or blemish on it, which is why that one is annoying. Thanks for any more info/opinions
You don't take something like this to a body shop, you drop by a detail shop and let them fix it for free. I would, as well as any detailer who is not looking to take advantage of you. It would probably take about 5 minutes.

By the way, the stuff that you used to attempt to fix that area is supposed to leave the finish looking like that. This is why you follow those aggressive polishes with a lighter one. The lighter polishes bring the shine back. That how paint correction works. I explain this in every video I do that consist of fixing paint.

If I allow these kids to use a PC on my paint and other cars, then surely a grown man can do it.

How about this kid working on a new Dodge Charger?

How about this kid working on a 1968 fully restored Camaro?

Using the PC. So easy, a cave kid could do it.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
I wish my brother had known about you a couple of years ago. He actually tried to "buff out" his paint on his '70 Chevelle with a Dewalt rotary. With NO EXPERIENCE. It was ugly. New paint job ruined.

As you have said, those high powered rotaries are not for anyone but professionals.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
TN 2010 SS

Thanks Junkman and others for the info. I might try to find a detail shop if I decide not to go the PC route.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
Gene Culley

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS/RS
Smile

Quote:
Thanks Junkman and others for the info. I might try to find a detail shop if I decide not to go the PC route.
Don't be afraid. You'll find that it is very easy to work with! You can produce really great results in only a weekend.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
For the money you pay a body shop, you may as well do it yourself and have all the gear the next time you get a scratch or swirly whirlys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
For the money you pay a body shop, you may as well do it yourself and have all the gear the next time you get a scratch or swirly whirlys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was my whole mindset when I started years ago. Makes financial sense to me.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Plus, based on the stuff I see a lot of bodyshops turn out you'll do a better job yourself than they would anyways! LOL

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #16
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I had a couple of scratches on my trunk lid since new and was able to buff them out with a PC. I used 3M Finesse It and then some wax sealer.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote