Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Shell Gasoline

I been seeing commercials about how Shell gasoline cleans engines and burns better than other gases and is good for your engine, is this true ?

This sounds like an interesting topic

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I believe it is everytime I put Shell in my car the MPG goes up and the car responds more, it just costs soooooo damn much!!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
I didn't have the same results with the Shell gas in my town
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
hmm me neither but not that got nitrgen in it i dunno ill try it out

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

I don't even know where their is a shell station in Phila./NJ.

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
http://www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa...iched-gasoline
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

I think I might try it for a month

Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
looks like ima try it out good article didnt read whole thing though no patients

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
ArcAngel

there is one one mile down from my house muscle master lol
Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

There is one 5 miles away from my dad's house in jersey, I will be filling up tomorrow and gonna take it slow

I will post the results later, goodnight

Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
ArcAngel

goodnight brother
Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
Beamer
N00B

Drives: 07 Cobalt SS/SC-Toy | 97Cavalier-DD
Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
I use Shell all the time unless I need gas now and there is not one around. My car(s) seemed to run better on it, as far a smoothness feel when on the throttle and even mpg. Really noticed it when I had my Lincoln LS8, ran on Shell for a long time, tried some cheap station one day, car felt different/ran diff and mpg sucked. It did run decent when I put exxon in it once but I stuck with shell. The Balt seems to like shell, but I have not really put anything else in it besides one trip to NY and used Mobil to fill before leaving.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Oracle

Drives: Ford Focus
Its all advertisement. does shell clean your engine when you run it? absolutely... along with most every other gasoline out there. every top tier rated company uses detergent addatives in fuel to help reduce carbon buildup. a clean engine has better flow, resulting in a more complete burn of fuel. hence burning cleaner. so in the shell commercials what they claim is absolutely true. thing is almost everybody else does it too so it wont make a difference.

On another note though, Shell is advertising their new Nitrogen Enriched gasoline. Nitrogen Enriched is referring to their new detergent molecule. in a traditional detergent molecule you have a pure organic based molecule (consisting primarily of carbon chains saturates with hydrogen atoms). this is ideal because gasoline, the cause of the buildup, is also organic based. simple chemistry will tell you like disolves like, meaning ideally you want a organic molecule to disolve, or clean, the organic buildup. the problem with these types of detergents is that they, like gasoline, combust in the power producing cycle of the motor. that means there is no detergent left to clean when the exhast valves open. Nitrogen Enriched uses a Nitrogen molecule attatched to the carbon chain, making the detergent molecule more stable. a stable molecule is less likely to change, that is decompose into a non-detergent form. that means that less of the detergent combusts and allows for greater cleaning of post power stroke components. this is particularly useful for cleaning exhast valves, piston surface, and their main goal, DI injectors. But with the good come the bad. these unburned detergents will then get ran through your catalytic converter, making it work overtime. Hydrocarbons are a red flag in emissions because they have adverse effects on health. these detergents are a form of hydrocarbons, or basically anything that didnt decompose in combustion. its up to your catalytic converter to deal with this extra volume. Also, since the detergent is designed to not combust your actually running a leaner mixture of AFR (air Fuel Ratio) through your engine. this isnt such a big deal for stock engines since they normally run rich anyways, but will become previlent in motors with a custom tune.

So basically, if your getting a V6 camaro to just enjoy then Shell has a winner on their hands. But if your aiming at getting a hotrod V8, then your probably better off shopping for gasoline somewhere else
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Our cars run like shnit with it
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote