Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
The Beast after 10 hours of paint correction.

So i first used my wife's SRX as a guinea pig and then cleaned up Ginger. I was dreading doing my mammoth truck (named The Beast) but it has been finished. I started with a good washing, then the VERY time consuming clay bar, then used my PC7424XP/Adam's pads and Adam's/Meguiar's compunds/polishes and finally a coat of Meguiar's NXT generation tech wax 2.0.

All in all I put in about 10 hours on it and it has never looked this good. Looks like an 8 day old car not an 8 year old car.
Attached Images

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
That really is a beast! Looks good
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
That really is a beast! Looks good
Yeah, most people don't realize it is actually faster than my SS.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
So i first used my wife's SRX as a guinea pig and then cleaned up Ginger. I was dreading doing my mammoth truck (named The Beast) but it has been finished. I started with a good washing, then the VERY time consuming clay bar, then used my PC7424XP/Adam's pads and Adam's/Meguiar's compunds/polishes and finally a coat of Meguiar's NXT generation tech wax 2.0.

All in all I put in about 10 hours on it and it has never looked this good. Looks like an 8 day old car not an 8 year old car.
the pc7424 is it easy to use? i am looking to buy a machine and i heard about this. would you recommend it to a some what beginner to machines.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
the pc7424 is it easy to use? i am looking to buy a machine and i heard about this. would you recommend it to a some what beginner to machines.
The PC is a perfect beginner machine... It's virtually impossible to damage your paint with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
It is extremely easy to use and VERY safe. A little too safe for my taste, I was actually thinking of selling mine and getting the Flex 3401 because it would be a lot faster to correct swirl marks but the best price I could find was $200 MORE than my PC7424XP. I mean if i was going to do a car a week then it might be worth it, but I'll probably only use it once a month.

It's a great polisher, the only downside is that it being so safe is also what makes it take a little longer to correct some badly damaged paint.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
The PC is a perfect beginner machine... It's virtually impossible to damage your paint with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never used a machine on any car before, but I used the PC on my car and I got the hang of it pretty quickly.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Is that keller
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
Is that keller
no

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Adams products are the real deal. Just the buttery wax alone mad my car look better than the day I picked it up.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
You missed a spot.
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
So no ones gonna comment on how he used the wife's car as a guinea pig LOL? Oh and don't take offense to this cause I'm sure your a nice guy, but that plate on that truck screams douchebag LOL. I don't know if that was your intention but I thought it was funny lol.
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Jus1dab

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Nice work! I'm gonna do my daily driver too!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
So no ones gonna comment on how he used the wife's car as a guinea pig LOL? Oh and don't take offense to this cause I'm sure your a nice guy, but that plate on that truck screams douchebag LOL. I don't know if that was your intention but I thought it was funny lol.
don't take offence, im sure your a nice guy, but you sound like a douchebag.

the truck looks great!

also, did you do everything based on the junkman series?
do you have any before photos of what your paint looked like?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
shevyman

Quote:
It is extremely easy to use and VERY safe. A little too safe for my taste, I was actually thinking of selling mine and getting the Flex 3401 because it would be a lot faster to correct swirl marks but the best price I could find was $200 MORE than my PC7424XP. I mean if i was going to do a car a week then it might be worth it, but I'll probably only use it once a month.

It's a great polisher, the only downside is that it being so safe is also what makes it take a little longer to correct some badly damaged paint.
well to be frank i want to just shine up my car better then by hand. also i am doing detailing on the side and a machine would help me out alot more then my arms and hands alone.

i can get cars to shine good by hand but i know a machine could help with some of the swirls and scratchs better, so i was thinking about getting this. cause last thing i want to do is burn my paint or a customers. was going to purchase it and then watch junkman.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
It's long story on the plates. Here is the explanation http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
don't take offence, im sure your a nice guy, but you sound like a douchebag.

the truck looks great!

also, did you do everything based on the junkman series?
do you have any before photos of what your paint looked like?
For the most part. I had already bought some wax, polish, compound but I should have waited and gotten everything from Adam's. Sorry, no before pics, but it had LOTS of swirl marks.
Quote:
well to be frank i want to just shine up my car better then by hand. also i am doing detailing on the side and a machine would help me out alot more then my arms and hands alone.

i can get cars to shine good by hand but i know a machine could help with some of the swirls and scratchs better, so i was thinking about getting this. cause last thing i want to do is burn my paint or a customers. was going to purchase it and then watch junkman.
If you are going to be doing details on the side I would go with the Flex 3401. In your case it would be worth the extra $200.

Last edited by SUX2BU; 06-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
You've got me motivated to use my good products to actually clean up my 10 year old Xterra that I've been neglecting forever
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
lookin good! wish i had the skill to wax and polish so well. im learning though for sure.

and it that thing really faster than your SS?!!?!?!?!?! if so, please explain =)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
SirMike
Inland Empire Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Looking Good. Nice work. You have to be proud.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
third_shift|studios

Drives: Former WS.6 owner
Send a message via AIM to third_shift|studios
Claybarring white cars sucks-especially SUV's b/c they are typically HAMMERED. Looks lik you got it all cleaned up right!
third_shift|studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by modawg2k View Post
You've got me motivated to use my good products to actually clean up my 10 year old Xterra that I've been neglecting forever
It is definitely a chore, but worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
lookin good! wish i had the skill to wax and polish so well. im learning though for sure.

and it that thing really faster than your SS?!!?!?!?!?! if so, please explain =)
This is only my third time ever doing it. It is VERY easy, just very time and sweat consuming.
The truck's best time before the turbo kit was 8.97 in the 1/8th. That should be a high 13 in the 1/4th. I'm hoping to be in the high 12's next time I take it to the track the turbo with some good weather. The best time in the car stock with 500 miles on the clock was 9.133 in the 1/8, 13.901 in the 1/4th. With all my bolt ons before the 18" wheels I ran a 8.92 in the 1/8th

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMike View Post
Looking Good. Nice work. You have to be proud.
Proud and tired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
Claybarring white cars sucks-especially SUV's b/c they are typically HAMMERED. Looks lik you got it all cleaned up right!
Yes, I can testify to that! My wife's SUV is the same color as mine. I at least washed mine semi regularly and used cheap spray wax every once in a while. The wife's SRX would only get washed every couple of months and that's it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #22
shevyman

Quote:
It's long story on the plates. Here is the explanation http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=66

For the most part. I had already bought some wax, polish, compound but I should have waited and gotten everything from Adam's. Sorry, no before pics, but it had LOTS of swirl marks.

If you are going to be doing details on the side I would go with the Flex 3401. In your case it would be worth the extra $200.
so the flex 3401. is that another idiot proof machine? cause i am saving up so i can use a machine and get more customers. but as of right now for just hand work people have been pretty satisfied with my work. but i also gut the car out to vacuum and i will scrub the panels if needed. so i will actually put in hours for the amount i ask for. so having a machine would really help me and save me time at the end. well i would expect.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
cathesjohn

Drives: Ford
Wow! you have done a good job. I really appreciate you. I will definitely try for this. Car is looking excellent. Thanks for sharing with us.
cathesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #24
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
so the flex 3401. is that another idiot proof machine? cause i am saving up so i can use a machine and get more customers. but as of right now for just hand work people have been pretty satisfied with my work. but i also gut the car out to vacuum and i will scrub the panels if needed. so i will actually put in hours for the amount i ask for. so having a machine would really help me and save me time at the end. well i would expect.
It's not as idiot proof as the PC7424XP, but it is still very safe. Go to Adam's website and watch their videos. They have videos on both the PC7424XP and the Flex 3401.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #25
shevyman

thank you for the help and advice