Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
Thumbs up Air pump & sealant can did their job!

Coming home from the Camaro Nationals yesterday, the DIC suddenly displays 'low tire pressure', and shows the driver side rear tire as having only 26 lbs.
The yellow warning light (tire with exclamation point) also displayed.
After pulling off the road to a safe spot, I couldn't see whatever made the puncture, but could hear it, losing air at about a pound every couple minutes.
I had checked out the car's pump/sealant when I first got my Camaro, so I was familiar with it and what to do.
After inflating it with air and sealant, I took it for a short drive to distribute the sealant, re-inflated the tire to the correct pressure, and headed home.
The tire stayed sealed, and held the pressure. You are supposed to drive it no faster than 55 mph, and as I noticed, anything over 60 and it vibrated, because the sealant probably made it out of balance.
Thanks to my sister and her husband, who drove their Camaro there with me, and made sure I got home ok.
It's just good to know it worked, and the warning system worked, otherwise I would have not known until it might have damaged the tire.
Now I have to take it in to have the tire patched properly, remove the sealant from the tire, and get a new can of it for the pump.
Oh yeah, I took over 250 pictures at the Nationals, I'll post them up later.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Chip called me and told me about your problem. I'm glad you made it home safely.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Definitely glad you made it home safe. It's probably going to be a PITA cleaning the inside of that wheel out though.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
I used canned sealant before and the tire shop never mentioned it so I guess it's not an issue.

Good to know it worked for you Mr. K.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Glad you made this post-Got me off my a--.

Went out to the car and got the sealant and pump out then even read the instructions. I'll be better prepared now if I ever have to use it. Also had a beer to help seal the instructions in my brain.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
Went out to the car and got the sealant and pump out then even read the instructions. I'll be better prepared now if I ever have to use it. Also had a beer to help seal the instructions in my brain.
Did you plug in the pump to be sure it works?
I know mine blows
Old 06-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Yeh I did.

Doesn't have much power but it's as least as good as the Pep boys pump I use to put a little air in my Pirellis occasionally.
I have a GMC Envoy that came with rear air shocks and came with a built in air compressor that is great. A time or two I've gotten into heavy sand and let the tires down for better float. It's sure nice to have that compressor when you get back to the highway.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Simster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Simster
I'm glad everything worked out Randy. That's one thing I don't have now that my trunk well has a methanol tank in it. Now you've just added another thing I have to worry about while on the road :(

I can't wait to see all those photos. It's too bad you weren't there to shoot a photo of Ralph when they announced my name instead of his for a win in our class Peggy had to get him a towel to dry his tears, he was crying so much

Simster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
I just wanted to add an update to this thread, since I don't see this topic come up that often. I went to my dealer to get the tire patched today. The hole was small, and the object that punctured it wasn't in the tire anymore.
It may have been a glass shard. At least it wasn't in the sidewall.
The extra sealant in the tire was still liquid, and the tech said it was easy to clean out. I got a replacement sealant kit for the pump while I was there, also. Cost to patch the tire; 40 bucks, new sealant kit; 37 bucks. Not too bad on the wallet.
John, after this experience, you better carry the pump/sealant with you!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
My solution....

Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote