Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
armoredslayer

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Bad luck or?

I replaced my stock wheels with American Racing wheels, daytona. Driving home from shop I noticed a shim/vibration in steering wheel at low speed and higher. The shop I go to thought it might be a bad tire or wheel. I went to the dealership I bought car at to have a road master test done, the test showed three bad wheels, one tire questionable. Just had the three wheels replaced and the car still does same thing. A friend said I should replace all the tires and it can't be the wheels again.

Anyone have suggestions? The shop I go to has very good rep, I can't see them messing the set up, up or having bad wheels again. The dealership f'd up and had put the tires on wrong after the test, fronts on back,backs on rear! But now I'm at square one again with a shim.

Any positive input would be appreciated. Thanks.
armoredslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Sorry, I can't really help with your "shimmy" problem, but I sure would like to see some pictures of your car with those Daytona's (I want to get them for mine too). Did you go with the Chrome, Black, or Machined Grey???

I would say if you had three wheels replaced already, it "should" be highly unlikely to be a wheel problem again. Must be something with tires (which you wouldn't expect since the PZeros are supposedly a top-of-the-line product). Hmmm, interesting....
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
armoredslayer

I'll post some pictures for sure, once i get my car back, i left it at shop while i decide on new tires or what, the shop offered to trade out my tires on credit and apply towards a better tire, offer seemed very good,my car is black and like a few others I've gone mainly blacked out. The wheels are the black ones, they look sick on and I've received alot of nice compliments. Thanks for your response.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Well, since you didn't have the problem until you got the new wheels, you should put the tires back on the factory wheels. If the problem goes away, you know for sure it's the wheels. Then you need to get your money back for the bad wheels.

The last thing I would do is throw money at the problem by getting new tires put on the suspect wheels.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Or did the tire shop screw up the belts/cords in your tires taking them off of your wheels?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
armoredslayer

Toesuf94 that's a good question. I can't see this shop getting in three more bad wheels, and putting back on my stock wheels with tires rock-it-man is my next option for sure.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
They are balancing the tires after installation? Stupid question but you never know these days.
LETHAL RACING Phase V, "ECS Supercharger, Nightfury cam, Methanol Injected, Dual Fuelpumps, Kooks Headers with Hi Flow Cats, 3'' Catback Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Tune, H & R Drop Springs,Barton Ind. STS 773 RWHP.
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
armoredslayer

I'm not sure if they are doing that after installation tlc9193.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
abelsspeedy

Drives: 10 2SS VR, 08 Escalade
Wheel balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredslayer View Post
I replaced my stock wheels with American Racing wheels, daytona. Driving home from shop I noticed a shim/vibration in steering wheel at low speed and higher. The shop I go to thought it might be a bad tire or wheel. I went to the dealership I bought car at to have a road master test done, the test showed three bad wheels, one tire questionable. Just had the three wheels replaced and the car still does same thing. A friend said I should replace all the tires and it can't be the wheels again.

Anyone have suggestions? The shop I go to has very good rep, I can't see them messing the set up, up or having bad wheels again. The dealership f'd up and had put the tires on wrong after the test, fronts on back,backs on rear! But now I'm at square one again with a shim.

Any positive input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sometimes its not a bad wheel causing the problem, what you need its a good balance. Had same problem with my pick up. I think its called a high speed road balance. thats when they use a roler against your tire to check for balance and they would see in a computer screen whats wrong.
had my wheels balanced 3 times before getting them high speed balanced. nothing worked till then. it was around $150 for a set of 22.
abelsspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
armoredslayer

Abelsspeedy is that what the road master test does? Sounds similar, it gave out a printout of the tires and wheels and what was wrong, showed three of four wheels bad one suspect tire, they replaced the wheels but not tire. Had test done at dealership, the shop putting wheels on has some machine they say the wheels are fine but tire showed a wave. I'll look into that balance you mentioned, not sure where in my area they'd do that.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
abelsspeedy

I dont know the actual name but i do know it displays the wheel and tire on the screen and will tell the operater wether to remount the tire into a specific place or just balance the wheel. And also advises the operator were exacatly to put the weights on the wheel.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
armoredslayer

Sounds like same test. I'll have to look for another shop that does that then, the dealership won't remove the tires from aftermarket wheels in fear they might scratch them. I'll have to search the area I'm thinking for a different shop.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
abelsspeedy

pic

This is what the machine looks like. I recommend this to everybody that has aftermarket wheel done it to all my vehicles since my old pick up to my 2010 camaro ss. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Yes, it's called "Road Force" Balancing. It is usually used on high performance track wheels/tires where a precision balance is important. See if that is what your dealership did. If not, it might resolve or at least help troubleshoot your problem.
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote