Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Jonathan Patten
Caffeinated Gearhead

Drives: 2011 SGM V6/RS
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Patten Send a message via Skype™ to Jonathan Patten
Winter Tires

It's not even July and I'm already considering buying snow tires for my C5...however I don't know where to start! What tires are affordable, dependable, and attractive to the eye as well? My Dad owns a 5-series BMW and said that you NEED to get your snow tires early before they are sold out! He recommended a narrow tire...I currently have summer performance RS tires from the RS version on it. Can someone direct me in the way I should go? I drive a bright green SGM RS. I'm going to be sticking around the winter here and I'm wondering what I should be investing in...
Jonathan Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: '11 1SS/RS, '13 Cruze
I'm moving back to Indiana in a month so
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Patten View Post
It's not even July and I'm already considering buying snow tires for my C5...however I don't know where to start! What tires are affordable, dependable, and attractive to the eye as well? My Dad owns a 5-series BMW and said that you NEED to get your snow tires early before they are sold out! He recommended a narrow tire...I currently have summer performance RS tires from the RS version on it. Can someone direct me in the way I should go? I drive a bright green SGM RS. I'm going to be sticking around the winter here and I'm wondering what I should be investing in...
If you were closer to Calgary, Alberta I could help you out. I have tires and rims off my 2LT/RS that I kept when I traded it in.

Check with Tirerack.com

They have some great deals, although I don't know if they can get you snows now.

I went with 17" rims and blizzack tires. That car was AWESOME in the snow!

ARH LT Headers with MBRP 3" catback exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ZL1 inspired splitter, ZL1 Grille, Rear Fascia blackout, Gill decals, Aftermarket Hurst Short Throw shifter, Tune by Jannetty Racing.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Jonathan Patten
Caffeinated Gearhead

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan Patten Send a message via Skype™ to Jonathan Patten
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I'm moving back to Indiana in a month so

I was in the south for the first few months I had it...driving to the south had my baby see her first snow within two days of buying it :P Unfortunately I am not returning to the south until possibly second semester...meaning that I'll have to invest in snow tires sooner rather than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
If you were closer to Calgary, Alberta I could help you out. I have tires and rims off my 2LT/RS that I kept when I traded it in.

Check with Tirerack.com

They have some great deals, although I don't know if they can get you snows now.

Can I see some pictures of your snow tires you have as extras? I might be able to pay for them to be shipped here if the price is right...unfortunately now that I'm thinking about it: it's hecka expensive to get ANYTHING shipped across the border, much less freight items such as tires!

I will check out TireTrack! If you could take some pictures of the rims you have right now for snow, it'd be well appreciated!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I am going to use my stock 18s that came with my LS.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Jonathan Patten
Caffeinated Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
I am going to use my stock 18s that came with my LS.
(Sorry in advance for all the questions, trying to make an informed and smart decision about winter tires.)

How much snow have you driven it...gotten any wheel spin, sliding, etc.?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Pirelli Scorpion Ice/Snow got me through a rough winter here. I never missed a day of work and have a 60 miles round trip. I got them from Rudy at tire rack.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
philthy

Drives: 1969 Chevelle/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post

Check with Tirerack.com

17" Blizzak package from TireRack.com worked great for me last winter!

Pre-ordered November 17, 2008
Delivered May 14, 2009
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
I bought the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow and put them on some used 20" factory rims I bought here. I drove them all winter here in Pennsylvania, and I only got stuck once (on ice, so nobody was really moving). I would recommend them. I bought 245's for all 4 tires.

Joe
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
The stock tires that I have drive fine in the snow and ice. Just make sure the stabiltrack and traction control is on.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I see that you have the 20 inch wheels. Whatever you do make sure to get winter rims so the salt doesn't mess up the finish on your nice rims. It may cost a little extra but will save you down the road.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Patten View Post
Here's something for you...I just traded up my 2LT for a 2SS and my 18" Heritage wheels and Blizzaks will not fit the SS.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
joepitt

Drives: 2013 LT2 Camaro, 2008 Enclave
Put FOUR snow tires on

I learned to drive in Denver on rear drive muscle cars in the late 60's. Put FOUR snow tires on the car. The front ones steer and brake and the rear ones move you. I've seen lots of folks slide into things because the front tires couldn't get traction to steer.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
Jonathan Patten
Caffeinated Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Here's something for you...I just traded up my 2LT for a 2SS and my 18" Heritage wheels and Blizzaks will not fit the SS.

PM me if you're interested.
PM sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepitt View Post
I learned to drive in Denver on rear drive muscle cars in the late 60's. Put FOUR snow tires on the car. The front ones steer and brake and the rear ones move you. I've seen lots of folks slide into things because the front tires couldn't get traction to steer.
I have as well...I'm very cautious with this car, because she's my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her! My first car out of HS, and I'd be VERY upset if anything happened to my car.