Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
quualudes

Drives: 2013 V6/M6 Carmaro
MGW shifter installed!!

Took a nice leisurely 168 mile drive this morning from Atlanta to Augusta so George at MGW could install my brand spanking new race shifter!!

Wow!! The feel is amazing and the shifting is now fast and precise!! Totally the best mod so far! It finally feels like I am driving a Camaro!!!

If you are looking for a better shifter over the mushy stock one, MGW is the way to go!!! And if you are close to Augusta, GA, George will install... for free!!! And give you a nice MGW tshirt (distressed tee with discharged ink, it's really nice!!)
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
quualudes

And the dude is just cool as hell! Has a really nice Boss 302, and got a peek at his new wheels and Hoosier tires for racing.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
That's really cool, it's on my list of mods to get. Any noise after the install?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
quualudes

The only new noise is the shifter landing solidly in gear, which is really really REALLY sweet sounding. . George did note that on my 2013, GM apparently added some dynomat that he didn't expect to find (because they will add more during the install).

If its on your list, I'd move it to the short list because it really changes how you interface with the car. Powershifting is a lot more rewarding now that I have a shifter up to the task. The only real downside is the cup holder location becomes even more of a pain in the ass because the shifter sits lower, but that isn't the shifters fault.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

This is great to hear...my shifting needs improvement at the track lol thanks for your write up/ review! Just wish they're shifter wasn't so pricey
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Minge

Drives: 2013 2SS
My mgw shifter came ups on Friday. The best thing that could've happened to me is gm discontinuing the hurst shifter right when I. Was about to order my car. Now I just wait for my car to be delivered and I will install the mgw. Til then, I read all the stellar reviews..

Can't wait.
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
quualudes

It's worth the pain of saving - it's your hand on the heartbeat of your car. That is not a pitch for the MGW, just upgrading the shifter in general.

MTI in Atlanta does good shifters from what I've read, and they are priced identically to MGW but sadly they also charge 300+ to install - hence my leisurely drive today. . The Hurst shifter just didn't have the stellar reviews so I didn't put that one in contention.

Installed:
___MGW Race Shifter, Cold Air Inductions Intake + Air Scoop,VMAX Ported Throttle Body,Solo LFX HFC and MRTv2 exhaust, Pedders cradle bushes,ZL1 swaybar upgrades
Soon to be installed:
___BMR Split Drop V6 Springs
___RX Performance Catch Can
___Pedders Radius Arm bushes,Diff bushes,Steering Rack bushing
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
I like your screen name lol. Like the 1000's that were dropped from a plane years ago? Kept this poor county high for a decade.

Shifter is a beast. Best bar none IMHO.

Go dawgs

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
ssmike
BLACK is the new Chrome!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT M6
I have the Hurst aftermarket shifter and I'm going to replace it with an MGW sometime soon! Just gotta get some other mods done first and save some more loot!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by quualudes View Post
It's worth the pain of saving - it's your hand on the heartbeat of your car. That is not a pitch for the MGW, just upgrading the shifter in general.

MTI in Atlanta does good shifters from what I've read, and they are priced identically to MGW but sadly they also charge 300+ to install - hence my leisurely drive today. . The Hurst shifter just didn't have the stellar reviews so I didn't put that one in contention.
Well once I get some money I will put that at the top of my list....I also see alot of guys switch from hurst to MGW so that's one of the reasons I started looking into MGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post

Go dawgs
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
t!mbo

Drives: 45th 2SS M6
That shifter is on my list too. I have the factory hurst, but I am really not happy with it. Thought also about that little trip for the free install. Didn't know that they even do these Saturdays...
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
The MGW will get better with some more miles too. Around 500 is where the springs and everything get broke in good.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Love the mgw shifter .... Especially after switching to gripper knob over race knob
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
ZOOK

Drives: 2010 2ss 6 speed
Love the mgw shifter as well ....... It is 10 times better then the stock shifter !!

The harder you lean on it the better it works..

Here are a few pics of one of my winter pojects ...The install of the line lock.

ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
quualudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
The harder you lean on it the better it works
I totally support the truth of that statement! Push - SNAP! Pull -SNAP! It's awesome now, I can't wait till it breaks in!